Author Topic: Pre treatment of fresh mozzarella to reduce liquid content  (Read 8370 times)

Offline Henrik

• I Love Pizza!
Pre treatment of fresh mozzarella to reduce liquid content
« on: January 21, 2007, 07:51:52 AM »
Hi,

I like to use fresh mozzarella now and again on my pizza, but find that the type I buy often "sweat" a lot of whey when it is cooked.
This is detrimental to the pizza....

My experience is, the older the cheese is, the less the problem...but it has to be over "best before" date to really count,
so I just came up with an idea to test if a pre cook in a saucepan would do the trick?

And it really works:
The raw cheese ball weighs 120g or 4.2 oz while a cooked one sweats off whey and weighs 71g or 2.5 oz.
It is now shiny and more elastic, and I have 49g or 1.7 oz whey in the saucepan and not on my pizza!

Please have a look at the pictures.

What I did:
Slice the cheese ball and cover bottom of saucepan, heat at high until whey begins to separate from the cheese, reduce heat to a simmer and stir and work the cheese with a spoon for a minute.
It only takes a minute, and you get a good dry shiny cheese which does not ruin your latest pie creation.

Have fun.

Thanks,
Henrik

Offline addicted

Re: Pre treatment of fresh mozzarella to reduce liquid content
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:05:26 PM »
 I use bel-gioso. When I make pies with fresh mozz , I slice the cheese thinly, say 1/8 " max. Then I let it sit out for an hour or two on a covered paper plate. That seems to help with the liquid problem for me.
Well....okay,then.

Offline jonfoxx

• Alfred's Tomato Pie Rules!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:51:06 PM »
Wow!  I tried this tonight and can not believe how much liquid was removed.  To think that all of that liquid was going on my pizza is just incredible.  This is an awesome process, thank you for posting it with such good photos.

JP

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:19:39 PM »
Wow!  I tried this tonight and can not believe how much liquid was removed.  To think that all of that liquid was going on my pizza is just incredible.  This is an awesome process, thank you for posting it with such good photos.

JP

15yrs ago i used to do this with whole milk pollyo mozzarella.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 12:01:50 AM »
15yrs ago i used to do this with whole milk pollyo mozzarella.
And your point is?  ???
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 12:57:41 PM »
because otherwise this non low moisture type of pollyo, the only type i found at the time back then, was woefully inappropriate for nyc pizza baking unless you parbake and top it off with thick slices, only baking it for may be 2-3min... in which case it wouldnt have a nyc pie look anyway.   with this pre treatment, while still warm it's almost like fresh mozz.  but once it returns to room temp, it's firm and hard, not like room temp fresh mozz.  I think this technique removes salt content and fat.

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 02:22:15 AM »
Just for fun (and also because I have a bunch of fresh Grande Ovoline that I need to use soon), I think I might try to do this in a different way. I'd like to place several balls of fresh mozza in a metal, mesh strainer and then place that on top of a large pot. Then put them in a warm oven until the moisture steams out of the cheese. I think the cheese should also soften and form into a single mass. If it were then refrigerated, it would probably be firm enough to shred. It wouldn't be fresh Grande anymore, obviously, but it still might taste a lot better than regular shredded mozza.

Steve

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 06:42:36 AM »
I tried this earlier tonight with 3 balls of fresh mozzarella that I broke into pieces and placed the strainer. After a half hour or so at ~220, I had a solid piece of mozzarella with a good amount of liquid in the pot below. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it after I took it out of the strainer, so I stretched it and pulled it over itself a few times and then formed it into a ball just like when I make a dough ball. After it cooled in the fridge, it had the look & feel of regular loaf mozzarella. It tasted really good, too although I didn't have a chance to make a pizza with it. I'm just not sure if doing this to fresh mozzarella offers any benefits to just buying a mozzarella loaf in the first place. But, I was bored.

One thing I'm wondering is if this procedure could be used on fresh mozzarella that is close to its expiration date to extend its shelf life?

Steve

Offline Henrik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 04:54:43 PM »
Hi AKSteve,

I trust the trick is not to over do the treatment, as you then convert the fresh mozz to a dry cheese.

When you do it the way I described, you can see from the pictures too, that I end up with a fresh mozz type, not a dry and yellow material, and its performance on the pizza is as fresh mozz but without the whey problem....which is what everyone using fresh mozz wants, I suppose......

It is good to be bored now and again!

Regards
Henrik

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 12:11:48 PM »
Hi Henrik,

I'm interested in trying out your method   :chef:, however I have a question or two.  When you simmer the cheese for a minute, where does the liquid go to?  Does it steam away?  And in the end, how did you get the cheese out of the pan and back into ball form?  Did you "pour" it out into ??? and when it cooled it formed a ball shape?

I'm really curious as I do like fresh mozz on my 'za but always get "wet" pizzas when I use it.  Anyone know how the pro's do it?  I've *never* seen a pizza made professionally with fresh mozz that was wet (like my pies...   >:( )

Thanks!
PizzaJoe

Offline Henrik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »
Hi PizzaJoe,

Thanks for the interest.....but I would have to say, that try it, it is easier than reading my explanation!

When I heat the cheese, the whey just simmer, while the cheese is easily assembled into a cohesive mass with my wooden fork.

I simply stir, and lift the cheese up with the fork, and form a ball of it, when it has cooled a little.

On my pictures, you can see the whey in the cup at the last picture.

Please just go ahead and try, it is simple and effective, and I trust you are not able to spoil anything.......just do not burn yourself!

Kind regards

Henrik

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 05:57:49 PM »
Hi Henrik,

Okay, thanks!   I'll give it a try next time I'm making a fresh mozz pie.  I've got a bit of Grande to go through first but it's next up on my "experiment" list!   :chef:

Joe
PizzaJoe

Offline jasonr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 08:58:25 PM »
Interesting...

I always simply dried the cheese in paper towels. Somewhat wasteful of towels (you need about three or four layers at lease to get it dry) but effective.

Frankly, I don't use fresh cheese anymore for pizzas. Don't get me wrong, nothing is better than a fresh ball of buffalo mozzarella for a caprese salad. But I don't think it adds anything to pizza. Frankly, I think the vacuum packed stuff is superior for pizza making. I don't care what they do in Italy.

Offline jameshar1

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 01:45:29 AM »
 I had to do the paper towel method earlier today.  :(  Thanks for posting this. :)

Offline jameshar1

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 01:48:28 AM »
PS, Many pizza places in italy use gouda cheese, simply because gouda cheese is quite inexpensive in europe.  And not smoked gouda.  Smoked gouda doesn't work to well on pizza, or so I hear. :)

Offline modeck

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 11:48:30 AM »
Hey Henrik,

Good call! Tried your procedure today, it worked really well.

Thanks!