Author Topic: NY style in Pizzone  (Read 235 times)

Offline NJPizzaTruck

• I Love Pizza!
NY style in Pizzone
« on: April 14, 2016, 07:33:43 AM »
My Pizzone arrived yesterday after a 2 day detour in customs!

For the inaugural bake, I felt it only right to attempt some neopolitan.  It was as well as one could expect with a 4 yr old and a 3 yr old underfoot (translation: dough kept sticking to peel because it sat too long as I chased kids around the house).

Anyway, for its next trick, I want to go back to my ny style roots.  I use baking steel in my oven and 500 works great, but am worried about burning the dough in the Pizzone given the longer baking time for ny style. What temp should I be looking for on the oven floor to avoid the crust burning before the top is done?

Offline NJPizzaTruck

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NY style in Pizzone
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »
Chicken bacon ranch!

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:54:02 AM »
It looks like you got the saputo tiles.  Bake with a floor temp of 600-750F depending on how fast you want to bake.  600 (~5min) 750 (~3min).  Don't worry about burning the bottoms with the saputo tiles. They bake on the cool side.

Offline NJPizzaTruck

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 08:43:39 AM »
Hi Jackie- I ended up passing on the saputo tiles, figuring I would try the standard tiles that it comes with first to see how they perform. Is there a significant difference in the standard vs saputo that changes your recommendation? 

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »
Saputo tiles are only necessary if you want to achieve a true NP.   If you want to do hybrid NY/NP or NY, firebrick is better.  Saputo is a touch too cool for NY.  Again depending on your desired bake time I would load it at a temp just a bit cooler for the FB.  It's obviously more conductive.