Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 398506 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #1225 on: June 20, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »
I love the original thinking here.  I believe what you are suggesting is a “T” shaped design (looking from the side) where the upper line making up the T is the pizza stone and the vertical line is the tile.  If so, maybe it looks like TTTTTTT imagine - assuming all the upper lines are the continuous pizza stone – when viewed from the side.  If that’s what you are suggesting, then read on.

I like the idea for the following reason.  That SP10 can put out a massive amount of heat, much of which blows out the upper vent.  I don’t know the warm-up time in your configuration, but assuming it takes 30+ minutes for the stone to reach steady-state, uniform cooking temperature, then those vertical tiles will be hot as well, and could provide residual heat keeping the pizza stone warm.  IMO, there is going to be a big performance difference between having the tiles touching the pizza stone and leaving a slight air gap.  My sense is that the gap is a better idea so you don’t get hot spots.

But here is where I think the problem is.  You only have one source of heat with enough air flow to cook the upper part of the pizza, and that is the SP10 burner.  Turn that off, and even though the cooking surface stays hot, the top of the pie won’t cook much at all.  The SP10 is such a blast-furnace, that most LBEs try to insulate between the direct heat and the stone and vent the heat over the pie.

Dave

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #1226 on: June 20, 2011, 02:54:44 PM »
Guess I wasn't getting the picture correctly...
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline trujillostm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1227 on: June 22, 2011, 08:23:24 AM »
Firebricks in vertical position.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1228 on: June 22, 2011, 08:42:49 AM »
Great picture, but I don't see the benefit.  The flame will seek the easiest path upward focusing on the center of the pizza stone.  The radial stones will get warm, but slowly from the center of the pot towards the outer side.  Anywhere the stones touch the cooking surface will result in a change of the stone temperature (either hotter or colder - hard to predict).

I haven't tried it, just my opinion.

Dave

Offline skyno

« Reply #1229 on: June 22, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
I have just read the thread about using the vertical bricks underneath the stone cooking surface and totally agree w/ Tampa

Of course this is pure speculation, but I would predict that all this would do is absorb a ton of heat (fire brick is good at this), resulting in very long heat-up times, but would not help w/ even, balanced cooking - I think I see the idea behind it from that very impressive 3D image, but an LBE seems to work more like a blast furnace than a radiator so I don't think this radiator concept applies here - in fact, I would guess that it may even result in uneven cooking due to large mass contact points w/ the pizza stone - not to mention that it would tremendously increase the weight of the oven

By the way, they really mark-up those prices in Europe! - but it will be worth it

Also, thanks for the compliment Ronzo!  That was a tasty pie!

LJ

Offline trujillostm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1230 on: June 24, 2011, 02:38:14 PM »
I have a problem with the adapter of the gas LP bottle (named GLP in Spain).
The nut slot for the connection is different, is smaller and with other nut step.
What can I do? I'm very disappointed...

buceriasdon

« Reply #1231 on: June 24, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
Amigo, la ferretería no tiene un adaptador? No entiendo, es este para el regulador o la unión de manguera de tanque? Su tanque tiene hilos diferentes?
Saludos, Don

I have a problem with the adapter of the gas LP bottle (named GLP in Spain).
The nut slot for the connection is different, is smaller and with other nut step.
What can I do? I'm very disappointed...

Offline trujillostm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1232 on: June 25, 2011, 03:46:21 AM »
Here in Spain, we have a different gas adapter to the gas bottle.
It's very difficult to find in traditional street shops.
I'm looking for an adapter by Internet...
I think Bayou Classic must help me.

Update:
The name of my spanish implement of this project is SLBE (Spanish LBE).
Spanish tags: quemador gas horno pizza

My first error:
The adapter solded to the Bayou Classic regulator is of low pressure.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:49:10 AM by trujillostm »

Offline trujillostm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1233 on: June 25, 2011, 05:53:41 AM »
SLBE
Spanish Little Black Egg
v.01

Please, I need to connect the left to the right...

Offline caseyspizza

• caseyspizzas.com
« Reply #1234 on: June 25, 2011, 02:30:22 PM »
i have a friend building an LBE in Ireland, wondering what kind of adaptor he will need for the Bayou Classic to work with a local propane tank....

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #1235 on: June 25, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

buceriasdon

« Reply #1236 on: June 25, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »
Just before I left the USA a newer type of connector was being required on propane tanks. The new tanks had an exterior right hand thread, the connector had a female right hand thread. Now here in Mexico the tanks are the old style Prest O Lite connection which uses a left hand counter clockwise thread. It is very easy to tell the two apart. The new style tank has threads on the outside, the old style are female inside threads. I am quite positive that any connector being produced for propane tanks in the USA must have the NEW style connector.
Don

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #1237 on: June 27, 2011, 04:55:52 AM »
I would never buy that oven or stove in this way, you are starting to design a gas heated brick oven yourself i see.
Just build a small original pizza stone oven where you burn gas instead of wood i would think.
Or maybe just build a small stone chamber from bricks where you first burn gas in with a big torch.
Let it than cool till the right temeparature is reached, place a pizza, close the oven, and the stored heat in the stones will do the rests.
It looks like doing very difficult to me where the answer is very simple.
Like you are always depending on ovens and tools from others.
Building that stone oven in the shape of that stove so it will fit inside that stove seems a bit idiot, just buy some stones, heat resistant chement, and a big burner is enough.

Offline trujillostm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1238 on: June 30, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »
Hi.
I have solved the problem of the gas connector in Spain !!
The burner works perfectly with my spanish propane gas tank (GLP).
This weekend, I will do several tests of my own naepolitan pizzas...

Offline lennyk

« Reply #1239 on: June 30, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »
I also had the same problem here in Trinidad, we use the same type tanks/regulators.
I unscrewed the supplied regulator from the brass connector and put on a nipple which the hose from my regulator connects to.

Offline caseyspizza

• caseyspizzas.com
« Reply #1240 on: July 05, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »
Hi.
I have solved the problem of the gas connector in Spain !!
The burner works perfectly with my spanish propane gas tank (GLP).
This weekend, I will do several tests of my own naepolitan pizzas...

so what was the solution with the adaptor?

Offline trujillostm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1241 on: July 07, 2011, 01:25:44 PM »
I have used a piece of high pressure tube with the hight pressure connector (with a black regulator, from 0 to 2 bar).
In my first error, the low pressure was 30 mbar = 0,030 bar of pressure... (in Spain we use , instead of . for 1000).
2 bar = 2000 mbar; 100 mbar = 0,100 bar

Spanish tags: bombona gas butano propano adaptador americano español conector alcachofa boquilla horno gas artesano artesanal ladrillo barbacoa
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:40:16 PM by trujillostm »

Offline tomtbone

« Reply #1242 on: July 07, 2011, 07:15:34 PM »
Thanks to all for the different ideas/methods in this thread!  I've made my own LBE and bee trying out different doughs as well.  My latest that I really like tonight is the Reinhart Neo-Neapolitan.  I made his recipe with 70% hydration, 50/50mix of 00 and KA Bread flour, and instead of honey, I used 1 Tbl of Barley malt syrup, I really dig the taste!

I am using an Airbake round aluminum pan with tiny little holes in it for my deflector that is bolted to the lid, seems to work great.  The deflector is always 20-50 degrees hotter than the old pizza stone.

Tonight the stone was around 750 when I put the pie in.  I rotated it a couple of times and it came out just after 2 minutes.  Alright, time for some pics of tonight's white sauce pizza with mozz. and prosciutto. 

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #1243 on: July 07, 2011, 08:01:56 PM »
Excellent job, tomtbone! I'd hit it.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #1244 on: July 08, 2011, 02:12:45 AM »
Very nice! Are you using two stones?

Offline lennyk

« Reply #1245 on: July 08, 2011, 05:31:41 AM »
nice,
what's the main ingredients of a white sauce for pizza ?

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #1246 on: July 08, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »
Finally got around to my own blog post about making an LBE... I got recruited to help a friend of mine make his.

http://steakchopsnhops.com/2011/07/08/lbe1/ Here's part 1
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline mzimm

« Reply #1247 on: July 09, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
I finally have some time to start building my LBE.  I will be using a 22" weber and a Brinkman burner (I believe its around 170,000 btu) so hopefully that won't be too much of an overkill but I can just throttle it down so it doesn't get too hot.

A few basic build questions: 

1. For inside cover did most find the aluminum ash catcher mounted to a outside of an aluminum disk (or pizza pan) to provide good results or is going with a 13" pizza stone a better choice?

2. I plan on fabricating a 1/4" steel shelf with vents cut into it for my shelf and then set a 19" kiln shelf on the top of that.  If I go this route will I still need to use two stones on top of each other? 

3. Do I need any other type of flame buffer between the burner and the steel shelf that the stone is set on?  I've seen some use the lower coal grate and put something like a stone or steel plate on top of that.

I will post some pics when some progress is made.

Thanks

Mike

Offline skyno

« Reply #1248 on: July 09, 2011, 01:58:46 PM »
Mike

Your burner definitely won't be overkill - I believe the Bayou is even more powerful than that, and as you said, you simply don't turn it up full blast

You are definitely asking the right questions - I think that the internal construction of the lid (oven ceiling) and the heat buffering are the 2 keys to getting great results w/ the LBE because you need to balance the top heat w/ the bottom heat and this can take some tweaking 

I never did try the stone in the lid, mostly because of the extra weight so I don't have a comparison, but I started w/ just the ash-catcher and found that it worked ok but that I wanted more heat directed to the top surface of my pies so I constructed what several have called a "vortex generator" - basically a way to direct the heat flow back down toward the top of the pie instead of just rushing straight over it and out the side vent - this feature was definitely an improvement - you can search this forum for the different ways that people have done this - mine was basically just a thin perforated piece of metal that I bent to direct the airflow in different directions

It also makes a big difference how much oven space you have between the cooking stone and the ceiling of your oven - since heat rises, this will drastically vary the temp. that the top of your pies get exposed to

I think the steel shelf w/ vents is a good way to go if you have access to the tools to make it - I would actually be interested to hear how you will make it, since most people have said they have had metal shops make them- I use a piece of scrap metal that more-or-less fits the shape since I don't have tools to cut thick metal

I don't think you will need any other stones or buffers besides this plate - I have been using a 5/8" kiln shelf for a while now - it is indestructible and it really absorbs heat much more than a typical pizza stone - it does need some buffering, but if you buffer it too much, it takes forever for it to heat up - I tried only a thin cheapo store-bought stone underneath the kiln shelf - no metal shelf or other buffers, and I got impatient waiting for it to heat up - it buffered too much

Having said all of this, since the LBE is a DIY project, there are multiple variables that makes everybody's project a little different and everybody's techniques and desired results are different, so at the end of the day you just experiment a bit until you find your ideal setup - it's what makes it fun!

Good Luck!

LJ

Offline mzimm

« Reply #1249 on: July 09, 2011, 02:49:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply Skyno.

I'm also planning to cut a side vent in the cover about 1.5-2 inches wide and 12" long.  This won't be large enough to load pies but was wondering if any of the other LBE builders have made the side vent large enough to load pies or if most have found it better to keep this vent on the smaller side as mentioned above?

I have a few old aluminum pans and a serving tray I'm thinking of using the 18" serving tray across the inside the lid then a 15" alum deep dish pan and then a 12" alum cutter pan to step the space down inside the cover.  My question is approximately about how close to the pie do I want the bottom of the cover to be?

For the bottom I'm going to cut a 12" circle in the bottom of the grill and just set it on the burner.  Is there enough weight and stability to not need to use mounting hardware to the burner?

Just a but more research and trips to the hardware store for ideas and I should be ready to start.

pizzapan