Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 342984 times)

buceriasdon

Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #940 on: August 08, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
I should have been turning the pizza more often, but friends stopped by, do they smell pizza perhaps? It appears that the temps top out at 745 tile, and 420 top lid. Way to much yeast I had to stab it with a knife to get two bubbles down. Eh....same day dough. I can't wear a watch to time things(heat rash time of year) but I could have been topping another pie while this one baked if not for turning. Personally I'm much more comfortable with this setup, not so stressfull. No two minute pie, but excellent crust, at least to us. Few minor changes, it's a keeper. Actually there was more browning than the picture indicates.
Don

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #941 on: August 08, 2010, 09:43:08 PM »
It's funny you said no more 2 min pies.  Seems like a lot of ppl (including myself) get into the hobby after becoming enamored with the many tales of the sub 2 min pies at blistering temps, only to venture back into a bit more of a sane time and temp bake. 

Stay there awhile and you'll be itching to go exploring those 2 min pies again.  That's where I'm currently stuck at.  The sub 2 min pie dream world.  At least i can dream... :-D

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #942 on: August 09, 2010, 08:18:34 AM »
Don, I love that star burner design.  Are the ends of each star point plugged or open?  Any chance you could post a picture of the regulator area?  I'm especially interested to know if/how this design draws air after the regulator & volume control.
Dave

buceriasdon

« Reply #943 on: August 09, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »
Dave, right? Dave, one pic of my homemade wok burner stand with a low pressure cast iron burner. I love that thing. The other is the kettle oven burner end. The holes are the air inlets, similar to any gas stove. Yes, all the ends of the star burner have what look like engine freeze plugs in them. Hope this helps.
Don

Don, I love that star burner design.  Are the ends of each star point plugged or open?  Any chance you could post a picture of the regulator area?  I'm especially interested to know if/how this design draws air after the regulator & volume control.
Dave

buceriasdon

« Reply #944 on: August 09, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
I guess we all have our reasons for chosing the pizza making path we go down. Actually a two minute pie doesn't float my boat. Neither do big rims for that matter. I'm a thin and crispy fan and that's the kind of pizza I like to make.
Regards, Don

It's funny you said no more 2 min pies.  Seems like a lot of ppl (including myself) get into the hobby after becoming enamored with the many tales of the sub 2 min pies at blistering temps, only to venture back into a bit more of a sane time and temp bake. 

Stay there awhile and you'll be itching to go exploring those 2 min pies again.  That's where I'm currently stuck at.  The sub 2 min pie dream world.  At least i can dream... :-D

buceriasdon

« Reply #945 on: August 09, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »
Greetings Mako, Looking at the height of the lid on my kettle I don't think I have the room for a burner mounted there. Your setup may have room. I have gone thru my flour I had on hand so I need to make a trip to the store, I will be putting the steel plate back under the tile for the next test.
Don

Nice looking burner. Thought about mounting it above the stone instead of below? I was about to buy some cast iron bar burners to mount in the top of mine. The whole airflow thing isn't working for me... I want some direct heat. :-)

Big star burner like that might be even more suited than bar burners, though. I'll have to look around.

Here's what I'd been near to pulling the trigger on:
http://grillparts.com/burners/cast.asp?Product_ID=CIF&Category=&Action=&Brand=&Order_Flag=1&Model=&Quantity=1&Description=Fire+Magic+Cast+Iron+Burner&Alert=0
http://grillparts.com/burners/cast.asp?Product_ID=CIKR&Category=&Action=&Brand=&Order_Flag=1&Model=&Quantity=1&Description=Sears+Rail+Style+Cast+Iron+Burner&Alert=0

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #946 on: August 09, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
Thanks Don.  Those are great photos.  Also I fully understand the freeze plug insert comment.  I love the innovation here.
Good stuff.
Dave

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #947 on: August 09, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »
Nice looking burner. Thought about mounting it above the stone instead of below? I was about to buy some cast iron bar burners to mount in the top of mine. The whole airflow thing isn't working for me... I want some direct heat. :-)

Big star burner like that might be even more suited than bar burners, though. I'll have to look around.

Here's what I'd been near to pulling the trigger on:
http://grillparts.com/burners/cast.asp?Product_ID=CIF&Category=&Action=&Brand=&Order_Flag=1&Model=&Quantity=1&Description=Fire+Magic+Cast+Iron+Burner&Alert=0
http://grillparts.com/burners/cast.asp?Product_ID=CIKR&Category=&Action=&Brand=&Order_Flag=1&Model=&Quantity=1&Description=Sears+Rail+Style+Cast+Iron+Burner&Alert=0

Here is a DIY pipe burner that I have built.  Pretty simple, and HOT.  You would just need to "T" into your bottom burner hose where it screws onto the bottom burner and have a needle valve to adjust the gas going to the top burner. It would be best if this pipe burner had some firebrick above it to radiate the heat downward.  Here is a link on how to build it, make it as long or short as you want. :http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?t=28224

Picture #2  I ripped this burner out of a natural gas home oven, and use it for top heat on the 10 stone.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:45:09 PM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

buceriasdon

« Reply #948 on: August 10, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
Jet Deck, Thanks for the link, slitting the pipe is sooooooooooo much easier than using a drill press to drill those pesky 1/16" holes.
Don

Here is a DIY pipe burner that I have built.  Pretty simple, and HOT.  You would just need to "T" into your bottom burner hose where it screws onto the bottom burner and have a needle valve to adjust the gas going to the top burner. It would be best if this pipe burner had some firebrick above it to radiate the heat downward.  Here is a link on how to build it, make it as long or short as you want. :http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?t=28224

Picture #2  I ripped this burner out of a natural gas home oven, and use it for top heat on the 10 stone.

buceriasdon

« Reply #949 on: August 10, 2010, 09:45:32 PM »
well alrighty then, I removed the foil covering my extra holes and found I need to plug them, I have an idea for that. Too much lost heat now. I will be taking the present tile and will be putting it in the lid and then recutting a new bottom tile about an inch wider as I am still getting too much edge burn. If that doesn't work then I will cut the ends of the burner down and cap them off and be able to lower the burner down more. Except for the edges being burnt I was very happy with tonight's pesto pizza.
PS. sorry for the blurry pic, I may have to buy a tripod to overcome my shakes.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:49:45 PM by buceriasdon »

buceriasdon

« Reply #950 on: August 12, 2010, 06:12:42 AM »
So I had this idea to make 8" to 9" pies rather than my 12" and see if by getting away from the edge of my tile would stop the edge burning. Nope, didn't change a thing. Edges still burned. hmmmm. Sorry, too dark out for pics. I guess my next step is to get a new tile today and cut it down with less gap between the kettle and the tile, so if there is still edge burning the problem lies elsewhere. Later then.
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #951 on: August 13, 2010, 08:14:03 AM »
AAAAAAHa! It was not the air gap between the tile and the kettle edge, but the burner being to close to the tile that was burning the edges of the crust. Simply too much concentrated heat at the tile. I removed a smaller burner from another oven, same shape but shorter arms and with the aid of firebricks set it in the kettle. The burner was slightly higher on the side the entry tube is but I decided to leave it slanted and see if that side baked first, and it did! Progress! No pics as it was dark but I will try to get some taken by baking earlier in the evening today. I noticed my Canon camera is right handed, the pop up flash makes it difficult to press the shutter left handed and see the view screen.
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #952 on: August 13, 2010, 09:34:01 PM »
Homemade sauce from fresh tomatos plus a dab of paste,panela and oxaca cheese, my thai basil. Success............I am very pleased with my LBE.
Don

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #953 on: August 15, 2010, 05:41:53 PM »
I made a test run of the waffle iron mod which was putting grooves on my stone (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.msg104661.html#msg104661) to limit contact so I could crank up the heat. This pizza cooked at over 800 degrees and took 2:15 minutes.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:46:41 PM by Villa Roma »

buceriasdon

« Reply #954 on: August 21, 2010, 08:16:59 AM »
Last night's pizza, a Thai style and the first time I have used carrots on them. Carrots? On pizza? I was pleasantly surprised, nice crunch and not that strong of a taste. I tried a different peanut sauce, added some Thai green curry.......eh, too overpowering and I didn't use that much, a tablespoon, next time I'll cut that amount in half. The chicken was marinated in soy overnight and then smoked in my wok using coffee, brown sugar and rice. I love the flavor as it is not too strong. The dough was by far the easiest to work by hand, 61% hydration and two days in the fridge, with maybe three minutes kneeding. I believe it was Scott who wrote about this method. If I am in error, sorry, but I do want to thank whoever pointed me in that direction. This was with out a doubt the wettest stickiest dough I have ever started with but quickly hand worked out, though I did have a bit of a fight getting it off the peel using rice flour. I'll work on that. When the LBE hit 700 (twenty minutes) I backed the heat off slightly and the pie baked in just over four minutes turning four times. My company loved it, I thought the sauce was too strong. Many thanks to all that have contributed to this project, though I don't use a high pressure burner in mine.
Warm regards, Don

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #955 on: August 23, 2010, 12:54:30 AM »
wow, great thread!  Thanks to Tran for pointing me to this.  I have a 22 inch weber sitting here not being used, as well as a Bayou CLassic burner from my turkey fryer...I just as well build me one of these things and cook some pies!  First question - how are you securing the kettle to the burner?  I am sure I will have more as I go along in the build..I should have it built up in a day or two...I am looking forward to it!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #956 on: August 23, 2010, 01:31:11 AM »
Gtsum, before you go commiting yourself to this by cutting your weber, just make sure you won't mind pitching it out if you're not happy.   As much info as we have on these little pizza cooking orbs, they can be a little fustrating tweaking and getting it right.   Not deterring you but rather giving you a heads up.  Good luck with the build and do post some pics.

The eggs are just sitting on top of the burner.  The weight of stone(s) helps secure them on.  I cut slots/slits in my so that it securely sits onto the burner and gets it rather close to the burner without having to cut a really big hole. 

You may also consider a lump coal/burner combo approach.  A hole just big enough to fit the burner head in, a small grate about 2" over the burner head, then coal on top of that.   You can start the coals with the burner and augment the heat.  I think most members do one or the other and not a combination of both, but heck...why not right?

Chau

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #957 on: August 23, 2010, 08:18:48 AM »
Gtsum, before you go commiting yourself to this by cutting your weber, just make sure you won't mind pitching it out if you're not happy.   As much info as we have on these little pizza cooking orbs, they can be a little fustrating tweaking and getting it right.   Not deterring you but rather giving you a heads up.  Good luck with the build and do post some pics.

The eggs are just sitting on top of the burner.  The weight of stone(s) helps secure them on.  I cut slots/slits in my so that it securely sits onto the burner and gets it rather close to the burner without having to cut a really big hole. 

You may also consider a lump coal/burner combo approach.  A hole just big enough to fit the burner head in, a small grate about 2" over the burner head, then coal on top of that.   You can start the coals with the burner and augment the heat.  I think most members do one or the other and not a combination of both, but heck...why not right?

Chau

agreed on the combo...it would give it a bit of the smoky, wood fired oven flavor we all like I think (like the Primo does).  I am going to give it a whirl...this is an extra grill in great shape, but seeing as I have the Primo, I never use it, so I just as well try and make a pizza cooker out of it!  I will keep you updated.  Thanks for the help!

Shaun

Offline 8-slice

« Reply #958 on: August 26, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »
I finally got around to it!!

I mounted my broken round stone (was in 2 pieces, after drilling it ended up in 3) to the top of my egg!

I have a 12-pizza thing on friday, and will try out the "top stone thing" vs. the pan. I have "long" advocated hot airflow as being the significant (in my case only) heat source to cook the top of the pie.... (as a few posts with ronzo I believe demonstrate).

After my friday pizza fest, I will be glad to share my new insights! And, if I was wrong, will pledge allegiance to the top stone!

Cheers!
8-slice  :chef:

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #959 on: August 26, 2010, 06:48:45 PM »
8 slice.  Good to have you back bud.  I will wait for your results before chiming in. 

Chau