Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 398770 times)

buceriasdon

Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #925 on: August 05, 2010, 09:38:04 PM »
Tonight's pizza, Nice crust, some edge char when I experimented with turning it up briefly, not burnt on the bottom, had the burner at it's lowest possible setting through most of the bake. I am thinking about replacing the high pressure burner, just seems like overkill. The temps just continue to climb upwards. Frustrating................

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #926 on: August 05, 2010, 10:55:38 PM »
Don was tonight's pie done with the new top air vent mod?  If not I would do that first before changing out the burner.   Fustrating???  Join the crowd Don.   :-D  Many of us have had more than our fair share.   ;D  I'm not relishing in your fustration, I'm just saying I've been there. Actually I'm back there again.  I'm working on NP now.  ;)

Chau
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:01:51 PM by Jackie Tran »

buceriasdon

« Reply #927 on: August 06, 2010, 08:46:08 AM »
Hi Chau, Yes, the single vent has been cut and the other holes covered. My next step is to cut a lid tile and attach it, hopefully today, not looking forward to the dust it raises.  :( I also wanted to avoid the weight in the lid, oh well..............
Don

Don was tonight's pie done with the new top air vent mod?  If not I would do that first before changing out the burner.   Fustrating???  Join the crowd Don.   :-D  Many of us have had more than our fair share.   ;D  I'm not relishing in your fustration, I'm just saying I've been there. Actually I'm back there again.  I'm working on NP now.  ;)

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #928 on: August 06, 2010, 09:05:20 AM »
Don several members have also had luck using a metal disk up there. I think folks are also using inverted metal ash catchers/bowls.

Chau

buceriasdon

« Reply #929 on: August 06, 2010, 09:20:18 PM »
Thanks, I have had the disc installed since the beginning.
Don

Don several members have also had luck using a metal disk up there. I think folks are also using inverted metal ash catchers/bowls.

Chau

buceriasdon

« Reply #930 on: August 08, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »
 I removed the high pressure burner and installed a star low pressure burner. Initial heat up test was promising, in twenty five minutes the tile was 675 and the lid read 450. I made some emergency dough to try tonight so I shall see how steady I can maintain the heat, recovery time etc. I don't have the steel plate under the tile at the moment, but will try that at a later time. Untill then.............
Don

Offline mako

« Reply #931 on: August 08, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »
Nice looking burner. Thought about mounting it above the stone instead of below? I was about to buy some cast iron bar burners to mount in the top of mine. The whole airflow thing isn't working for me... I want some direct heat. :-)

Big star burner like that might be even more suited than bar burners, though. I'll have to look around.

Here's what I'd been near to pulling the trigger on:
http://grillparts.com/burners/cast.asp?Product_ID=CIF&Category=&Action=&Brand=&Order_Flag=1&Model=&Quantity=1&Description=Fire+Magic+Cast+Iron+Burner&Alert=0
http://grillparts.com/burners/cast.asp?Product_ID=CIKR&Category=&Action=&Brand=&Order_Flag=1&Model=&Quantity=1&Description=Sears+Rail+Style+Cast+Iron+Burner&Alert=0

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #932 on: August 08, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »
Nice star burner mod Don.  Mako, I've been thinking along the same lines.  I need to find a round electrical heating element that I can mount in the lid.

JT

Offline mako

« Reply #933 on: August 08, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »
Don, is that a homemade burner? A quick internet search doesn't reveal anything remotely similar for sale. I still think my flat cast iron burner idea will work (and be pretty flexible in case I decide to rework it down the line), but it'd require distributing the fuel and mounting all the parts, which I'm not great at.

And Jackie, a big electrical element is sort of appealing (so much easier to work with)... but it doesn't compare with the portability of propane. Not sure where I stand on that trade-off.

buceriasdon

« Reply #934 on: August 08, 2010, 07:09:19 PM »
The upper burner idea, sorry guys, it's been done..............
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Pizza-Oven/3218

dangit, I could have brought one home when I went back to the states.

buceriasdon

« Reply #935 on: August 08, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »
I plan to modify my ceramic kiln oven converted to gas pizza oven to have a small top burner. I want to get the little portable oven(LBE) up and going first so I have an outside oven then do the modification to my other. Here in Mexico we have to design and build our own ovens so there are stores that sell burners of many styles. They don't have anything like these stores in the US. Sometime I'll take some photos and post them. I bought this burner at the local Sunday market for about $10 US dollars. Most likely such a thing is not available online. I am getting anxious to try out the new setup tonight. Once I get my hinges installed I may design an overheat burner.
Don

Nice looking burner. Thought about mounting it above the stone instead of below? I was about to buy some cast iron bar burners to mount in the top of mine. The whole airflow thing isn't working for me... I want some direct heat. :-)

Big star burner like that might be even more suited than bar burners, though. I'll have to look around.

http://grillparts.com/burners/cast.asp?Product_ID=CIF&Category=&Action=&Brand=&Order_Flag=1&Model=&Quantity=1&Description=Fire+Magic+Cast+Iron+Burner&Alert=0
http://grillparts.com/burners/cast.asp?Product_ID=CIKR&Category=&Action=&Brand=&Order_Flag=1&Model=&Quantity=1&Description=Sears+Rail+Style+Cast+Iron+Burner&Alert=0

scott123

« Reply #936 on: August 08, 2010, 07:58:34 PM »
The upper burner idea, sorry guys, it's been done..............
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Pizza-Oven/3218

dangit, I could have brought one home when I went back to the states.

You're joking, right?  :)

My advice is to let the dough cook alone for about 15-20 mins prior to adding your toppings and then let it go for another 15-20 to get everything nice and delicious.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #937 on: August 08, 2010, 08:26:55 PM »

And Jackie, a big electrical element is sort of appealing (so much easier to work with)... but it doesn't compare with the portability of propane. Not sure where I stand on that trade-off.

If I can get it to work with propane it wouldn't be a trade off.  I would have the propane burner running on bottom, and the top heating element would be the electrical element on a roll switch.  Flip the switch and instant top heat!

Now, even if I could make it happen, it still doesn't guarantee even heating or proportionate heating between the top and bottom.  Who knows, the stone may get too friggin hot!  I should just build me a WFO and get it over with already.  :-D

And Don, it wouldn't be the same thing as the Presto pizzazz oven.  Not at all.

Chau

Offline mako

« Reply #938 on: August 08, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »
You're joking, right?  :)

I assume he was joking. (I hope he was joking.) That said, I've always thought the overarching design of that funny little device wasn't ENTIRELY foolish. If you could deliver some truly scorching heat to one spot at a time without too much bleeding out, it could probably work. And be cheap and super portable. (How hard can it be to heat 12 cubic inches to 850 degrees?)

Of course, that thing's probably got a 60 watt EZ Bake oven bulb in it. And would just flat-out melt (or possibly explode) if you got it to real pizza temps.

If I can get it to work with propane it wouldn't be a trade off.  I would have the propane burner running on bottom, and the top heating element would be the electrical element on a roll switch.  Flip the switch and instant top heat!

Now, even if I could make it happen, it still doesn't guarantee even heating or proportionate heating between the top and bottom.  Who knows, the stone may get too friggin hot!

Well, you'd have another variable to adjust, which can only help with getting the heat more even (and the learning curve ever steeper.)

I should just build me a WFO and get it over with already.  :-D

Quoted for truth.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #939 on: August 08, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »
Actually controlling the top heat may not be that big of an issue if I installed a dimmer switch to the electrical element.   :P  Could it work? ???

buceriasdon

« Reply #940 on: August 08, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
I should have been turning the pizza more often, but friends stopped by, do they smell pizza perhaps? It appears that the temps top out at 745 tile, and 420 top lid. Way to much yeast I had to stab it with a knife to get two bubbles down. Eh....same day dough. I can't wear a watch to time things(heat rash time of year) but I could have been topping another pie while this one baked if not for turning. Personally I'm much more comfortable with this setup, not so stressfull. No two minute pie, but excellent crust, at least to us. Few minor changes, it's a keeper. Actually there was more browning than the picture indicates.
Don

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #941 on: August 08, 2010, 09:43:08 PM »
It's funny you said no more 2 min pies.  Seems like a lot of ppl (including myself) get into the hobby after becoming enamored with the many tales of the sub 2 min pies at blistering temps, only to venture back into a bit more of a sane time and temp bake. 

Stay there awhile and you'll be itching to go exploring those 2 min pies again.  That's where I'm currently stuck at.  The sub 2 min pie dream world.  At least i can dream... :-D

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #942 on: August 09, 2010, 08:18:34 AM »
Don, I love that star burner design.  Are the ends of each star point plugged or open?  Any chance you could post a picture of the regulator area?  I'm especially interested to know if/how this design draws air after the regulator & volume control.
Dave

buceriasdon

« Reply #943 on: August 09, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »
Dave, right? Dave, one pic of my homemade wok burner stand with a low pressure cast iron burner. I love that thing. The other is the kettle oven burner end. The holes are the air inlets, similar to any gas stove. Yes, all the ends of the star burner have what look like engine freeze plugs in them. Hope this helps.
Don

Don, I love that star burner design.  Are the ends of each star point plugged or open?  Any chance you could post a picture of the regulator area?  I'm especially interested to know if/how this design draws air after the regulator & volume control.
Dave

buceriasdon

« Reply #944 on: August 09, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
I guess we all have our reasons for chosing the pizza making path we go down. Actually a two minute pie doesn't float my boat. Neither do big rims for that matter. I'm a thin and crispy fan and that's the kind of pizza I like to make.
Regards, Don

It's funny you said no more 2 min pies.  Seems like a lot of ppl (including myself) get into the hobby after becoming enamored with the many tales of the sub 2 min pies at blistering temps, only to venture back into a bit more of a sane time and temp bake. 

Stay there awhile and you'll be itching to go exploring those 2 min pies again.  That's where I'm currently stuck at.  The sub 2 min pie dream world.  At least i can dream... :-D

buceriasdon

« Reply #945 on: August 09, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »
Greetings Mako, Looking at the height of the lid on my kettle I don't think I have the room for a burner mounted there. Your setup may have room. I have gone thru my flour I had on hand so I need to make a trip to the store, I will be putting the steel plate back under the tile for the next test.
Don

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #946 on: August 09, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
Thanks Don.  Those are great photos.  Also I fully understand the freeze plug insert comment.  I love the innovation here.
Good stuff.
Dave

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #947 on: August 09, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »

Here is a DIY pipe burner that I have built.  Pretty simple, and HOT.  You would just need to "T" into your bottom burner hose where it screws onto the bottom burner and have a needle valve to adjust the gas going to the top burner. It would be best if this pipe burner had some firebrick above it to radiate the heat downward.  Here is a link on how to build it, make it as long or short as you want. :http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?t=28224

Picture #2  I ripped this burner out of a natural gas home oven, and use it for top heat on the 10 stone.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:45:09 PM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

buceriasdon

« Reply #948 on: August 10, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
Jet Deck, Thanks for the link, slitting the pipe is sooooooooooo much easier than using a drill press to drill those pesky 1/16" holes.
Don

Here is a DIY pipe burner that I have built.  Pretty simple, and HOT.  You would just need to "T" into your bottom burner hose where it screws onto the bottom burner and have a needle valve to adjust the gas going to the top burner. It would be best if this pipe burner had some firebrick above it to radiate the heat downward.  Here is a link on how to build it, make it as long or short as you want. :http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?t=28224

Picture #2  I ripped this burner out of a natural gas home oven, and use it for top heat on the 10 stone.

buceriasdon

« Reply #949 on: August 10, 2010, 09:45:32 PM »
well alrighty then, I removed the foil covering my extra holes and found I need to plug them, I have an idea for that. Too much lost heat now. I will be taking the present tile and will be putting it in the lid and then recutting a new bottom tile about an inch wider as I am still getting too much edge burn. If that doesn't work then I will cut the ends of the burner down and cap them off and be able to lower the burner down more. Except for the edges being burnt I was very happy with tonight's pesto pizza.
PS. sorry for the blurry pic, I may have to buy a tripod to overcome my shakes.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:49:45 PM by buceriasdon »