Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 361348 times)

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #340 on: August 05, 2008, 11:15:45 AM »
pizzacraver.....Thanks for the heads up, I'd hate to have to scrub the mission this close to the launch window. ::) I'm wondering if you experimented with an actual Weber or a similar version. Some of the other versions have a high dome as opposed to the Weber which has a very low ceiling. Also of importance is whether the latest LBE mods had been performed. The aluminum disc and side vent technologies are light years ahead of the competition and not only limits the air space but directs the hot air directly over the pizza and provides some insulation. The stone diameter and stone thickness are both players in the equation. Maybe you could post a picture of your LBE so we could "check it out". I've seen it here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.msg53535.html#msg53535 Is this the same setup as you have now? If it is then we're pretty close to the same except for the burner and I only have one stone on the bottom.

I think a stove top Weber based pizza oven is achievable even with a standard 12000 BTU burner but I'm not an expert so I'm just winging it. I'll have to see if I can find someone here with a gas range and give it a shot. Do you know what the BTU rating is on the indoor cooktop burner you used?

Villa Roma

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:44:29 PM by Villa Roma »

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #341 on: August 06, 2008, 03:50:16 AM »
Villa, yes the 14" kettle I've been using is a Weber :) and my set-up was pretty much the same as yours bar the alloy top deflector(which I might add looks pretty interesting). I tried both 1&2 stones on the bottom, 2 stones producing the most optimal results but still quite poor when used in conjunction with the indoor gas top cooker.My stones are 12" Big Green Egg, the indoor gas top was putting out 11mj or in your speak around11,000BTU.The pies were cooking in around 15-20 min at about high 500'sF.Bottom line the pies sucked!!The flame from the cooker would burn bright orange after the first 20mins into the warm up as apposed to the crisp vibrant and blue flame that you need,I think the orange flame was possibly producing CARBON MONOXIDE(as you know....not good dude!) Thats when I stopped using it indoors. the only mod I've made since was a lazy- susan style turntable,the first stone rotating on top of the second buffer stone(way better than lifting the lid to turn the pie every 30sec).Top and bottom stones are 3" apart and I also increased the size of the side vent to access the stone for manual rotation.I think it pulls even more heat over the pies!! Now were talkin' leopard territory baby!!!:D At one point I was looking at building a full blown wood fire oven but the more I looked into it the more I came to realized just how convenient and easy it is to use the LBE.More props to you brother!!!!This little gizmo used in conjunction with the right heat source produces some pretty AWESOME pizza.However feeling the never ending urge to tinker I'm in the process putting together another LBE,slightly larger and cutting the side vent sufficiently enough so as to be able to feed the pies in without lifting the lid,then mounting the whole unit onto a stable stand thats at a good working height. Once I've had some success I'll post some pics :)These 2 shots are of my 14'' LBE
 pizzacraver
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:52:40 AM by pizzacraver »

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #342 on: August 06, 2008, 11:58:18 AM »
Pizzacraver....Thanks for the update, it's nice to know this is an international effort just like the space station. ;) I'll have to pick up a 6er of Fosters for the launch this weekend and hoist one in your honor.

It sounds like the indoor stove burner you used was oxygen starved so you might try using a wok ring. It will lift the M2 up and allow more air to flow to the intake. They're only about $5-10 on-line if you can't find one locally.

I performed a test firing of the main rockets on the M2 and have very good news to report from mission control. I set the gas valve at just above idle and the M2 came up to 700 degrees in less than 10 minutes. It had good airflow out the side port so all systems are go for the launch window. ;D The max temp at idle was 800 degrees but I know I could get well above 1000 degrees with no problem if I kicked in the retro rockets. I removed the screws on the air shutter and gave it max thrust, the flame was a nice crisp blue color. In theory the M2 could cut the fuel consumption by 75% or more over the original LBE. I weighed the complete M2 and it tipped the scales at only 16 pounds. This gives an entirely new meaning to the term, "sweet 16".

On my last foray to the supermarket I discovered a new kid on the block in the bakery section so I picked up a bag of Gold Medal organic AP flour. It doesn't have malted barley in it so it should be great for a high temp test run. It may even be a good alternative to the high priced Caputo.

The question that remains to be answered is this. Is the M2 capable of a sub 1 minute pizza? I think so and I'll be sure to video tape this momentous event when it happens.

T minus 3 days and counting..... Villa Roma
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:56:37 PM by Villa Roma »

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #343 on: August 06, 2008, 01:26:42 PM »
I've been following this thread on and off and haven't seen a few thoughts i have, tested...any input is appreciated.

From reading it sounds like the hardest part with teh LBE is getting the top temperature hot enough to cook the top of the pizza before the bottom burns. Couple of thoughts:
1) Has anyone tried completely lining the inside of the lid of the weber with unglazed quarry tiles? I was thinking if the inside surface was nicely roughed up with sand paper, refractory cement might be able to stick the tiles to it. Basically create a mosaic of tiles on the inside surface of the dome. This would create a dome effect on the inside of the LBE. I would leave a vent area open/untiled. I think this might work better than having a single hung disk of tile from the lid.
2) It would seem that cutting a slot out for loading and unloading pizzas like Pizzacraver did in this last post would be better than opening and closing the lid. Once hte lid is opened i think too much heat is lost from the ambient. Having a sliding cover on this might make it even better.

If either or both of these have been tried i'd like to hear results.

thanks
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:41:42 PM by jasonmolinari »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #344 on: August 06, 2008, 01:41:27 PM »
Jason,

My LBE is undergoing a major update and it is exactly what you are describing. However, I'm not using refractory cement nor tiles. I am installing a new lid, the Weber Smoky Mountain, lined with ceramic fiber blanket (Superwool) in the ceiling and body, which will also include a top ceramic coating.

http://www.axner.com/axner/equipment/superwool-607max-blanket.php

As far as the opening goes, a buddy of mine is currently cutting out a "door" which will eliminate the removal of the lid every time I have to turn the pizza. What also helps, and thanks for Red November and his suggestion, is to carbonize the underside of the ceiling stone.

All in all, the new mods should allow for better heat retention and save more fuel. I'll post some pics when I get my lid back.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #345 on: August 06, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »
Essen, so you're going to envelop the dome with ceramic blanket on the inside and out in an attempt to retain heat?

Will there be no stones on the dome to retain and emit heat onto the top of the pizza? Does the LBE rely only on airflow over the pizza to cook the top? I thought it used the top stones to retain heat and emit it. You ceramic blanket would only retain heat in the dome area. This would work as long as you don't open the dome at all...i think.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #346 on: August 06, 2008, 01:49:39 PM »
Jason,

I have a 14" Big Green Egg pizza stone installed in the ceiling, which currently hovers about 2.5" above the pizza. And it will be installed in the new lid.

The lid will only be lined on the inside with heat insulation, not the outside.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #347 on: August 06, 2008, 01:56:31 PM »
Ah, i understand now. Looking forward to the results.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #348 on: August 06, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »
A cutaway illustration of what I believe is the design intent.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:59:37 PM by November »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #349 on: August 06, 2008, 05:08:54 PM »
RN,

That's spot on! Cool graphic...
Mike

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #350 on: August 06, 2008, 06:27:39 PM »
Thanks November..very clear now.
How do plan on "gluing" the blanket that is below the top dome stone to the sides of the smoker top? Are you just going to let it flap in the *very hot* breeze?

I'm going to go out and get the parts needed for a LBE, and it sounds like a side vent is a definite must, and the top vent seems superfluous (based on VM experiments with aluminum disks)...but i haven't read if anyone has tried and reported back on having a side vent big enough to put the pizza in and out of is too big.

How about a side vent and then hinging part of the top (maybe 1/3 of the top)? That would allow one to open the hinged area, put the pizza in and close it back...less heat would be loss htan opening the whole lid...just and idea..

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #351 on: August 06, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »
How do plan on "gluing" the blanket that is below the top dome stone to the sides of the smoker top? Are you just going to let it flap in the *very hot* breeze?

I'm going to go out and get the parts needed for a LBE, and it sounds like a side vent is a definite must, and the top vent seems superfluous (based on VM experiments with aluminum disks)...but i haven't read if anyone has tried and reported back on having a side vent big enough to put the pizza in and out of is too big.

How about a side vent and then hinging part of the top (maybe about 1/3 of the top)? That would allow one to open the hinged area, put the pizza in and close it back...less heat would be loss htan opening the whole lid...just and idea..

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #352 on: August 06, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »

How about a side vent and then hinging part of the top (maybe 1/3 of the top)? That would allow one to open the hinged area, put the pizza in and close it back...less heat would be loss htan opening the whole lid...just and idea..

Jason,

I'll be using a high heat resistant ceramic adhesive to glue the blanket to the surface, so it won't flap in the "breeze".

Mike

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #353 on: August 06, 2008, 10:42:48 PM »
carbonize the underside of the ceiling stone.

Leave no stone unburned, I always say.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #354 on: August 06, 2008, 10:57:22 PM »
RN,

trust me, I won't.  ;D

Maple syrup, right?
Mike

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #355 on: August 06, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
Maple syrup, right?

Or molasses, or cane syrup, or any mineralized sugar.  Any organic substance will char in this situation.  A viscous one with minerals just gives the best results.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #356 on: August 06, 2008, 11:36:34 PM »
RN,

Any idea what the vicious one's name is? It would be cool if I could buy the most effective one in a supermarket.

Or perhaps make it myself. Sugar & water.
Mike

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #357 on: August 06, 2008, 11:42:33 PM »
Any idea what the vicious one's name is? It would be cool if I could buy the most effective one in a supermarket.

It's a commonly held belief that fructose can be vicious to your liver, but other than that I have no idea what you are referring to.  You gave one example of a viscous mineralized sugar, and then I gave two more examples of viscous mineralized sugar.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #358 on: August 07, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »
RN,

Got 'ya.  ;)

I'll start with it over the weekend.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #359 on: August 07, 2008, 12:31:03 AM »
It's a commonly held belief that fructose can be vicious to your liver, but other than that I have no idea what you are referring to. 

Got 'ya even more...

My "vicious" and your "viscous".

It was an honest typo, Bro. But I think no matter which way you twist it, they'll both have the same effect, whether they're viscous or vicious ::) Maybe one's just more viscous than the other is vicious, or vice versa ?

Edit: Grammar
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:45:00 AM by Essen1 »
Mike