Author Topic: Little Black Egg  (Read 410289 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Re: Little Black Egg
« Reply #450 on: August 23, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »
I read up a little about this BBQ. Very interesting, to say the least.

Here are a couple more links. It seems to be a Swiss design...

http://bbq.about.com/b/2008/04/08/first-look-outdoor-chef-roma-gas-grill.htm

http://www.outdoorchef.com/index.php?lang=

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline ArrigoYYYY

« Reply #451 on: August 24, 2008, 02:43:17 AM »
I think the Outdoor Chef bbq does not have massive btu output.  The volcano design reflects the radiant and convection heat in the bbq much more efficiently or more effectively for baking. 

Anyways, I ordered a 72000 btu fryer and a 22.5 inch Weber.  I have recruited a friend to help me with some mods to make the LBE for next weekend.  I will be using an iron wok to deflect the heat from directly hitting the bottom of the pizza stone and having it hopefully channel the convection heat more efficiently around the pizza.  Wish me luck!

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #452 on: August 24, 2008, 07:53:38 AM »
Here is a test batch of pizza made in the M2 LBE. I used GM organic flour with a 72% hydration. They cooked in 1:45 each.

Villa Roma

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #453 on: August 24, 2008, 08:45:57 AM »
Nice puff on the crust VR. Good looking pizza.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #454 on: August 24, 2008, 11:26:01 AM »
VR,

the pizza looks good, as always. But why the high hydration? Didn't that take away from the crunch?
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #455 on: August 24, 2008, 01:32:40 PM »
yea... 72% ??
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #456 on: August 24, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »
Guys, don't be so surprised at 72% hydration. I've used 70-75% in the past for white flour and routinly go with 90% when using whole grains.

I only used IDY on this batch, no starter but I let it ferment for 18 hours. Still the flavor did not come close to a pizza made with a starter. Speaking of starter, I ordered the Italian cultures from sourdough.com so once I get them up and running I'll see how they compare to my home grown starter. They should be in this week.

I added a lower 8" stone to the M2 LBE. It sits about 1" below the cooking grate suspended with safety wire. This buffers the flames from the top stone but I still have to keep the gas on low or the stone temp will run away on me. I also use foil under the top stone and this works well but as I said before I need to get a lower output burner but until then this setup is working pretty good.

I'm also thinking of making some longer legs which would allow the burner to sit a little furthur from the stones. Check them out!

Nothing beats a great set of Leggs.....Villa Roma
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:53:37 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #457 on: August 24, 2008, 09:47:29 PM »
VR,

90%? How the hell do you handle that dough?  ??? And I thought a hydration of 65% was high.

In regards to your legs idea...sounds good. Don't forget to rock out to ZZ Top's "Legs" every time you fire up your baby  ;D

I'm thinking of adding a stand to my LBE so that the access to the new lid is easier. Perhaps waist high or so. I have yet to figure it out, though.
Mike

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #458 on: August 25, 2008, 12:18:58 AM »
VR,

90%? How the hell do you handle that dough?  ??? And I thought a hydration of 65% was high.

A whole grain dough with 90% hydration is a little deceiving. The bran in the flour absorbs a good deal of the added moisture so you have to combine the flour and wet ingredients then let them sit for 30-60 minutes and proceed with the kneading. The GM flour I have been using is somewhat inconsistent but I found 90% works well. I was using 95% but when I got a marginal bag of flour this was too much hydration so I lowered it to 90%. The finished dough handles similar to a white flour dough at 75% hydration.

Villa Roma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #459 on: August 28, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »
A quick update on the new lid.

Yesterday I finally got the high-temp adhesive in to bond the fiber blanket to the ceramic surface. I'm amazed how well it turned out.  Plus, I had a frame put around the side vent, to clean it up a bit and a ring around the rim to increase stability when it goes on top of the Weber.

The next step now is to apply the ceramic coating on the fiber blankets, which will hopefully go on tomorrow morning since the adhesive requires 24 hrs of curing at RT.

Here are a few pics. They are not the best since I had to use my cell phone cam, so excuse the low quality.

Mike

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2008, 06:53:45 PM »
Sweet looking dome! Especially the window on it

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #461 on: August 31, 2008, 12:47:43 AM »
My LBE is finally back in business...

I fired it up less than 10 mins ago and can already tell the difference.

I'm going to give it another 30 mins to see how hot it will get.

Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #462 on: August 31, 2008, 01:44:41 PM »
Okay...some thoughts/observations on the first test run and bake using the new lid.

First, I think I need to lower the top stone by an inch or so, to increase air flow a bit more. It did touch the sides a little so it took somewhat longer for the top to heat up all the way through. The top stone, however, got to a temp of roughly 750į in about twenty mins. The fiber blanket walls also heated up extremely well. The great thing was, though, that the outside of the lid was cool to the touch the entire time. The air flow out of the side vent was scorching hot, though. I couldn't leave my hand in front of it for more than a couple of seconds.

The bottom stone didn't get as hot as the rest of the LBE and maintained a nice temp between 680į and 700į. It didn't burn the bottom of the pizzas at all, but gave it a slight charring and crispness.

The first couple of pizzas took about three minutes to bake. I used a fairly high hydration, at least for me, of 64%. The crust was exceptionally crispy but didn't char as much as usual, which I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. The top of the pizza cooked evenly and very well. As a matter of fact, I had to pull the pies out before the crust had any chance to develop some charring to prevent the topping from burning.

Here are some pics. I would have taken some pics of the temp on my IR gun also, but my cam was already low on batteries so I just took two quick pics of the pies. I'll get fresh batteries and will give it another shot tonight.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the first test run and its outcome and with a little adjustment, I'm sure it will all work out fine.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:48:19 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #463 on: September 01, 2008, 10:05:25 AM »
Essen.....Nice looking pies there. What kind of chesse did you use?

I activated the Ischia starter last week and made some pizzas with it. I also used it in the whole grain pizzas and added some extra HK flour but put in too much so they were a little tough to stretch. They came out pretty good anyway.

As you can see M1 is complementing M2 on a job well done. I have a different burner for M2 on the way, it's the same burner pizzacraver uses and is rated at 65,000 BTUs instead of 185,000.

Villa Roma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #464 on: September 01, 2008, 10:20:12 PM »
Villa,

It was Precious low-moisture, whole-milk Mozzarella. I should have used the regular fresh version.

In regards to the M2, I agree. 185,000 BUTs might be a tad too much for the little guy!

Off topic...

I was surprised I only had to pay the domestic postal fee when I sent out your LBE Tee! The guy explained it to me and it made sense. With that said, your Tee is in transit. Since the 21st of August, if I remember correctly. And so are the other two.

Just a quick..and I say.. quick update that is, Son!  ;D

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:23:46 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #465 on: September 02, 2008, 01:03:45 AM »
Essen.....Nice looking pies there. What kind of chesse did you use?

I activated the Ischia starter last week and made some pizzas with it. I also used it in the whole grain pizzas and added some extra HK flour but put in too much so they were a little tough to stretch. They came out pretty good anyway.

As you can see M1 is complementing M2 on a job well done. I have a different burner for M2 on the way, it's the same burner pizzacraver uses and is rated at 65,000 BTUs instead of 185,000.

Villa Roma

Hey Ron, what did you think about the Ischia? Worth the $? I've been pretty happy with Goldrush, but am curious. BTW made my 3rd batch of WW this week. Turned out so so - my fault, added a bit too much salt and too soon (in water before flour) - think it killed the preferment. I salvaged at day 4 (no rise) by kneading in some ADY and let it go another few days.
Best regards,
Vic
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #466 on: September 02, 2008, 03:55:47 AM »
Hey Ron, what did you think about the Ischia? Worth the $? I've been pretty happy with Goldrush, but am curious. BTW made my 3rd batch of WW this week. Turned out so so - my fault, added a bit too much salt and too soon (in water before flour) - think it killed the preferment. I salvaged at day 4 (no rise) by kneading in some ADY and let it go another few days.
Best regards,
Vic

Vic....I only made one batch with the freshly activated starter but the Ischia is very active. The first two pizzas above were made with only the Ischia starter and no yeast. I used 10 grams of starter per 100 grams of flour and this was way too much so next time I'll go with 2 grams. I can't comment on the taste as I haven't sampled any of the white flour pizzas yet. I'll give the starter at least a month to mature before I weigh in with the final verdict but so far it looks really promising. Below is the starter after 24 hours. I had to wash it once but it's doing fine now.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:02:39 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #467 on: September 02, 2008, 09:02:50 AM »
 Hey Essen1
Great pies :D and that LBE set Ėup of yours is looking mighty fine!!!!
It certainly looks as though you have put a tremendous amount of effort into the build, Iím sure youíll be making lots of awesome pies with that baby for quite some time.
  I received my Tee on Tue ;D, thanks heaps bro that was a really thoughtful gesture and Iíll wear it with pride!!!! At the moment  family and friends round here are starting to think my obsession for pizza perfection is getting a little out of control :-D but thatís OK, at least you guys understand!
 Iím still making a few adjustments to my latest version of the LBE (trying to achieve even better heat distribution) when Iíve tweaked it a little and satisfied with the results Iíll post some pics.

P.S. I'm a little camera shy myself, but a work buddy of mine was more than happy to model the LBE Tee ;D even if it was a bit of a tight fit :-\

Pizzacraver. :chef:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:41:30 AM by pizzacraver »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #468 on: September 02, 2008, 02:54:46 PM »
PC,

My pleasure.  ;D

Glad you like your Tee. I agree, it is a little tight on your buddy but does look good.

One down, two more to go.
Mike

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #469 on: September 02, 2008, 09:54:07 PM »
Essen1,

I got the tee, thank you so much.  I'm usually a small in tee shirts so as you can guess, I swim in it, lol

Mike

Ps.  Your new lid is ridiculously impressive.  Did you get a more even bake - did you have to rotate the pizzas?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #470 on: September 02, 2008, 10:34:17 PM »
Mike,

I'm glad you got it.

I didn't know what your size was so I sent the XL out. BUT...when I washed one of mine for the first time (XL), I made the mistake to wash it hot and it shrank. So you might want to try that. And read the instructions on the label!

Or simply wear it as a nightgown!  ;D

I still had to rotate the pizza. But since I don't have to open the entire lid anymore, heat loss was minimal. I figured out though, that I have to lower the top stone a little since it touches the walls, which ended up in reduced heat flow. But other than that, the first test run was pretty good. I guess it needs a little tweaking here and there.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:36:04 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #471 on: September 04, 2008, 12:20:24 AM »
Essen.....I picked up the tee shirt today. Long sleeves perfect for the long German winter that is right around the corner.

Thanks again, Villa Roma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #472 on: September 04, 2008, 01:08:36 AM »
Villa,

Glad you got it. Long sleeves are always good in Germany during the Fall and Winter months.

I only had six made, three for you guys - the hardcore LBE maniacs (myself included) - one for my buddy who helped me built the LBE after Villa's original design, and two for me. Well, it's only one now since one shrank. When that happened my girlfriend just shook her head. Should have washed it cold. But in BHC's case, I'd wash it hot.

Anyway, it was my pleasure to send them out and I hope you're enjoying them.

Mike
Mike

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #473 on: September 05, 2008, 10:12:24 AM »
I love your new lid design Essen, it looks great. Especially like hte door system. I'm thinking of doing something similar with my LBE, but honestly it works so well, that i don't know if i want to putz with it!

Last night i baked up 2 nice margherita pies. 67% hydration dough, using KA all purpose flour, 0.15% IDY, 4% salt. I really like the way it handled. Very easy to stretch evenly and thin. I have to make the next batch using my sourdough as this dough wasn't super flavorful after 48hr cold rise.

i'm using an Old stone Oven 16" round pizza stone now, and so far it's holding up well.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #474 on: September 05, 2008, 10:48:42 PM »
Thanks Jason.

But like they say "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I still have my other lid just in case if something should happen to the new one.

Your pizzas look excellent!

You said the crust wasn't all that flavorful after 48 hrs. Have you considered using a starter?
Mike

pizzapan