Author Topic: Get Forked!  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
Get Forked!
« on: March 24, 2007, 08:36:40 AM »
This is my first post as VR but I recently changed my name  >:D from Ronbro to Villa Roma. Many years ago when I was cutting my pizza teeth, I worked at a restaurant called Villa Roma in Lakeville, Mass. One of my duties was to make pizza. The pizza wasn't very good and the place has long since gone out of business but I kind of liked the name and it has a nice Italian ring to it.

Enough about me, let's talk about getting forked! We've all seen the SAF yeast package with Frenchy mixing dough with his fancy fork mixer. Secretly we all wished we could have one of those fork mixers but they cost several thousand dollars and who makes that much dough at a time anyway. What's a poor boy to do? Make his own mini fork mixer, that's what a poor boy is going to do!

I scooped a tuning fork off ebay for $6 and then modified it by cutting the ball end off the handle. The next step was to file the tapered handle to about 1/4" so it would run true in my variable speed drill. I then rounded the fork ends of the instrument. Finally I drilled a hole in a plastic bottle cap so the dough would not climb onto the drill chuck. The tuning fork is only 5" long but I made a batch of dough that weighed 850 grams and the mini fork mixer worked like a forking dream.

RonBro, oops, I mean Villa Roma

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Get Forked!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 10:16:50 AM »
Congratulations !You win todays Top Prize ! An all inclusive weekend for two at the Rubber Room Motel - Full Body massage is included and will be provided courtesy of our sponsors Black & Decker / DeWalt. ;)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:29:38 PM »
Send it over and I'll weld on a KA mounting hub. <kidding>

Nice job!  Unfortunately, my wife restricts my use of power tools and non-food related "stuff" in the kitchen, especially after she found automotive engine parts in the dishwasher.  <blush>

Jack

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 01:01:51 AM »

Yeah, we've all been there. I used to use the oven to bake the enamal on my freshly painted projects until I got busted by the kitchen police >:(.

Villa Roma

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 04:15:35 AM »
I was checking out the Santos fork mixer and got a few ideas. I wasn't going to allow the competition to "one up" me! So I modified the "Joe Sixpack" fork mixer. Check out the hot new curves, very sexy don't you think!  Can you say Tool Time?

Eat your heart out Santos.........Villa Roma........Crazy like a fox!!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 12:43:51 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 04:39:41 AM »
The drill turned too fast even though it was a variable speed model so I regrouped and used my B&D pivot driver cordless screwdriver. It works perfectly, especially for small batches of one or two pizzas. Here's a pizza made with the mini fork mixer.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 02:50:35 PM by Villa Roma »

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 12:52:35 PM »
Villa Roma!
Great pies!
I sure would love to see that fork mixer of yours in action... have you made any videos with it yet?

I'm inspired by the videos of your LBE and may have to buy ANOTHER, smaller Webber Kettle since I can't bring myself to chop up my 22.5" and dedicate it to pizza.  DH brews beer, so we have a couple propane burners + the one for the turkey deep fryer...

thanks!
~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »
Villa Roma!
Great pies!
I sure would love to see that fork mixer of yours in action... have you made any videos with it yet?

SD.....Thanks, I don't have a video but I'll make one next time I make pizza which should be in about two weeks. That was an experimental batch but it came out surprisingly good.

Villa Roma

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 02:57:22 PM »
Thanks, Villa Roma!
I'll be watching for the video...  DH loves it when I give him reasons to play with his tools and make nifty stuff!

BTW, I had to laugh at a couple of the posts above since I was the kitchen police who blew the whistle on the EX-husband when he put nasty motorcycle parts into the dishwasher!  If he had put wet, fume-y enamel paint into my oven, I prolly would have killed him, not divorced him!   >:D   :o   ;D

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 11:45:51 PM »
duuude... sell those.  I want one.. Name your price!

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 02:24:07 AM »
duuude... sell those.  I want one.. Name your price!

- aba

You can use an electric hand held mixer but only use one of the beaters. If you don't have one, you can get just the beaters and use an electric drill/screwdriver. Search on Ebay for dough hooks.

Here's an example below. $5 for a pair! I ordered a set to go with my collection, plus a few more tuning forks >:D.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:40:10 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 11:41:03 AM »
nice!  gotta love ebay.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

pizzapan