During the last couple of years I had baked a lot of pizzas in a high temperature wood oven.
I had tried Neapolitan, NY, deep dish, foccacia and even Argentina dough, all together with ‘creatures’ of any kind <g>
The best suitable and more required by both my family and visitors was/is the TLNY style, with pre-ferment and refrigerated for 24+ hours. A superb winner.
This version is widely accepted in this site as one of the best dough (using IDY, ADY or pre-ferment)
By the other hand, reading from the site www.pizza.it
, the indication to the best pizza dough goes to the one that is one day fermented on the kitchen counter, with temperatures between 20 to 24 °C.
Reading recent mails here, like the ‘Can I warm rise a Lehmann dough?’ and ‘Punching down’ I think that could be a good moment to introduce this thread, speaking about ‘one day fermented dough’, even if not concluded.
This new thread is opened to follow the discussion of the two mentioned thread above and to inform you from my results, expecting to obtain more ideas or questions to work with.
I carried out a series of tests to know which could be the quantities of pre-ferment and yeast versus time and final pizza taste.
These tests are not conclusive yet, even with a clear indication going to long rest using pre-ferment dough as the better.
At the end of a long journey, I expect to have a chart with ferment types, leavening time and rest type and time that could give to any user the possible combination to have a good pizza in an expected target time.
I intend to consider the temperature variation in a second step. For now, I am using an isolated box that helps me to maintain the dough temperature between 20 to 24 °C.
I am using the Brazilian Nita brand flour (for pizza) that I am believing is a low protein level flour, 00 type. The W value is 280. I was informed that the protein (as humid gluten) is 24.20 and I do not know what this really means (November, Chiguy, Pete-zza?)
Just as reference, during the last two years I had used the Nita Special flour, with W=265 and protein (humid gluten) of 27.02. I am very happy with the obtained pizzas using this flour, along the knowhow from this site, of course.
I carried out two tests, in the last two weekends.
As reference, I use the original formula, as posted in the mentioned Italian site.
These values use the quantity of used water, as reference, being the water quantity 100%, not the flour.
This could be a little unfamiliar when seeing by first time, but is easy to assimilate to the ones that use to use the Baker´s percentages.
I had worked the dough as indicated in the mentioned site, more precisely in the Ciro Number 1 message (messaggio di Ciro n.1).
Meaning: the dough was prepared as usual, all the water, then the pre-ferment dissolved in it, the half of the sifted flour showered in, premixed, followed by the salt, mixed and ended with the addition of the rest of the flour in little steps during mixing, until the desired consistence was reached.
The entire process took a couple of minutes of mixing.
After that, the dough was retired from the mixer and worked by hand on a lightly floured counter by approximately five minutes.
The dough was covered with a delicate quantity of flour and left to rest in a closed container.
There was a ‘puntata’ or a rest of the dough of two hours before the ‘staglio’ or division, the dough was divided in two ‘panini’ or individual dough and left to rest by at least 8 hours (apretto) in a container with lid.
This process was maintained for each one of the dough in the tests.
The mass of each finished dough was around the 400 grams (1 oz = 28 gr), latter divided in two individual pizzas of nearly of 200 grams and 11/12 inches of diameter when stretched.
The skins were filled with a little EVOO, salt and dried basil or a clear tomato sauce and basil, just to carry out the test.
The temperature of the oven was 230°C (450°F). I know that it was lower than good, but it is as my oven is, and I was so lazy to use the wood oven.
It is a gas oven, with the flames in the lower ‘floor’ covered / protected with an upper metal plate with holes in both sides and front of it.
The skins were baked in the pre heated home oven configured with a pizza stone in the higher step and a pizza screen in the lower. The skins were baked always in a pair, beginning one in the stone and the other in the screen, and being inverted when half baked.
Some of these baked skins were freezed to later use.
Since this resume is going too long, I am sending now, just to prepare a second one with the quantities and results. There will be pictures too.
Meantime, I expect some questions and comments about this first resume, if you like to do.