Author Topic: WTD: Rocky Rococo's Pan Style Pizza recipe & tips  (Read 3807 times)

Offline PizzaPapa77

WTD: Rocky Rococo's Pan Style Pizza recipe & tips
« on: April 27, 2007, 07:34:47 PM »
 ???  Has anyone else heard of Rocky Rococo's Pan Style Pizza?  They are a midwest (WI, MN, northern IL) thing, and IMO they make the BEST PIZZA ON EARTH.  The problem is that I live almost an hour and a half from the nearest restaurant AND will be moving out of the country in a year or so  :'(.  I MUST learn to make this pizza  :chef: AS CLOSELY AS POSSIBLE to the original, and would GREATLY APPRECIATE any help.  Thank you so much!

Offline Angep

Re: WTD: Rocky Rococo's Pan Style Pizza recipe & tips
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 02:55:15 PM »
Oh man.  I used to work at Rockys 13 or so years ago.  I was a driver, but had to make pizza sometimes.  The only thing is a layer of cheese, then sauce, then toppings and more cheese.  I think.  The bottom cheese was slices, and the top, was a big block of cheese that we cut in the Hobart, instead of shredding.  Things probably changed over the years.

Offline sunnyco

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 02:48:04 PM »
I joined this forum just to see if anyone had any recipes like RR's crust.  It has been years since I have been there, but I remember the crust being a bit sweet, so I guess I will just try a thick-crust recipe, and throw a little sugar in.  That's good to know about the cheese.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:06:32 PM »
sunnyco,

Are you referring to the rectangular pan pizzas such as shown here: http://www.rockysmadison.com/? According to RR's website, the dough is made fresh on the premises and subjected to three separate rises. This suggests a lot of yeast and perhaps a room temperature environment for rising the dough rather than cold fermentation in a cooler (refrigerator). The final rise most likely is the proofing of the dough in a sheet pan in a proofer with humidity control. Have you ever seen the pizzas made, or any of the equipment used, and are the pizzas like a Pizza Hut pan pizza? If they are like a PH pan pizza, your best bet might be to make a rectangular version, using a modification of one of the PH clone dough recipes on the forum. A dark, anodized pan such as the one shown at http://www.bigtray.com/productdetails.asp!sku.CMP40952,catid.14810.html, or possibly a half-sheet size, would seem to be a good choice for a RR pan style pizza.

Peter