Author Topic: Cheese burns before dough is cooked  (Read 2345 times)

Offline pauliedog

Cheese burns before dough is cooked
« on: May 23, 2007, 07:10:07 PM »
My cheese always seems to burn before the dough is nice and brown. Any suggestions. I use Kraft cheese and the dough ingredients from Tom Lehmanns NY style pizza . Cento crushed w/ pizza spices.  
Flour 2 1/2 c.
Water about 1 c.
IDY 1 1/2 t.
Salt 3/4 t.
Olive Oil ( I use extra virgin) 3/4 t.
Sugar 1 T.
 Cook at 525 F. for about 12 minutes in a commercial/ Home pizza oven w/ a top and bottom element.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Cheese burns before dough is cooked
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 07:38:52 PM »
pauliedog,

If you are baking the pizza at 525 F for 12 minutes, I'm guessing that you are using some kind of pan. Is that correct? If so, can you describe the pan (i.e., material, color, perforated/unperforated, etc.)?

Assuming that everything you did was in order, it may be that the Kraft cheese you are using can't take 525 F for 12 minutes. I have experienced similar problems with cheeses when baking a typical Lehmann dough on a preheated pizza stone. As a result, my practice is to move the pizza off of the stone to a higher oven position for a final minute or two of baking to get better top crust browning. It's possible that I wouldn't have to do that if I had better cheeses available to me where I live (outside of Dallas). Unfortunately, I don't have access locally (without going into Dallas) to cheeses like Grande, Polly-O, Stella, Sorrento, Saputo (any of the many brands), or any of the other brands that are praised by our members. I did have access to the Precious and Frigo brands, but the stores that carried those brands recently discontinued them and now offer only house brands. The lesser brands and house brands I have tried either brown prematurely or break down and put a lot of orange-colored oil on the pizza. Whole-milk mozzarella cheeses tend to hold up better in my oven than the low-moisture part-skim variety.

In your case, assuming that the type of cheese is the problem and not the mode of baking, you might try a different cheese or try putting the cheese on in slices or pieces instead of shreds. Adding the cheeses to the pizza while they are still cold might also help. Otherwise, you might want to try a different brand of cheese.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 02:13:31 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline rastoma

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 10:59:10 AM »
Isn't it burning because of using a top element to heat?

Have you tried cooking the crust only for a couple of mins then saucing and adding the cheese?

Offline jetfan1283

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 11:56:34 AM »
I used to have this problem to try dipping your cheese in some sauce before you put it on the pizza or just put the cheese on first then the sauce. The sauce kinda protects the cheese abit.

pizzapan