Author Topic: Did you know this about SAF yeast?  (Read 3658 times)

Offline nirc

Did you know this about SAF yeast?
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:19:29 PM »
According to an email that i received from the Lesaffre group:

"You may also be interested in knowing that the Lesaffre group now owns RED STAR, and the RED STAR Yeast is now produced in the same facility where the SAF Yeast has always been produced.  The yeast is the same under the two different brand names.  RED STAR Quick RIse and RED STAR Bread Machine Yeast is the same as the SAF Gourmet Perfect Rise.  RED STAR Active Dry yeast is the same as the SAF Traditional Active Dry.

The consumer yeast products SAF and RED STAR are identical.

SAF Red, is the same as SAF Gourmet Perfect Rise and RED STAR Quick Rise and Bread Machine Yeast."

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Did you know this about SAF yeast?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 12:56:29 PM »
Eli,

Thanks for the update.

Red Star has been under the Lesaffre umbrella for some time, although the consolidation of dry yeast products seems to be a more recent development. It looks like they are down to basically two dry yeast products--ADY and IDY--which apparently will continue to be marketed through their existing channels and brand names.

At one time, the SAF Gourmet Perfect Rise yeast was sold as a "universal" yeast that could be used in place of any other yeast, active or instant. I notice now that SAF treats the Gourmet product on its website as being an IDY yeast, although I don't believe that they label it as IDY. This is consistent with the manner in which IDY is marketed by all of the major yeast producers to consumers. You will almost never see the IDY designation applied to consumer retail yeast products, only those sold to professionals. Instead, you will see IDY disguised as "bread machine" yeast and, in some cases, "fast acting" yeast or some equivalent expression like "Rapid-Rise" or "Quik-Rise".

Peter

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 02:58:37 PM »
Does anyone have experience with SAF gold vs regular SAF?  Should I be able to buy bricks (1 lb.) of yeast locally?  The only thing I have found in any grocery store is three individual packets and the price is not reasonable (1-2$ for the 3 small packets).  Thinking about ordering a lb. from King Arthur but would prefer to buy locally if possible!
Patrick

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 04:46:15 PM »
pcampbell,

The SAF Gold is primarily intended for sweet breads and high acid doughs, such as sourdoughs, as noted here: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/items/SAF_Gold_Instant_Yeast_1_lb. I have used the SAF Red with very good results.

Peter

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 07:48:27 PM »
I have used SAF gold and SAF red.. have them both right now actually.. the gold is osmotolerant.  I don't think using gold in a regular old bread or pizza dough would be any different than red but I haven't made a side by side comparison yet.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 03:42:23 PM »
I went ahead and ordered a brick from K.A. Where should I store my IDY?  Fridge or dark cabinet?  I have it in culture jar (with a rubber gasket and snap shut thing).
Patrick

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 03:57:32 PM »
Patrick,

I would put it in the freezer, in the type of container you mentioned. You can also leave the yeast in the bag it came in, fold over the top, and wrap a rubber band tightly around the bag. In the freezer, the yeast will last several years, notwithstanding the "use by" date. You will find conflicting opinions about whether you should warm up the yeast before using it. I usually take the yeast out of the freezer as my first step in making dough. By the time I am ready, the yeast is ready.

Peter

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 04:32:32 PM »
I went ahead and ordered a brick from K.A. Where should I store my IDY?  Fridge or dark cabinet?  I have it in culture jar (with a rubber gasket and snap shut thing).
I have everysize of Luminarc jars any many of each size. I love these jars. I keep my Demarra sugar, Muscavado sugar, Sourdoughs, yeast, coffe..........................in them. They are very hard to break, very durable. The .5 liter is perfect for a 1lb brick of yeast. Link http://www.villagekitchen.com/mfg/arc/luminarc/jars/canning_jar_triomphe/art/triomphejar.jpg
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline dms

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 01:13:07 AM »
As others have suggested, keep it in the freezer.  Do yourself a favor though, and keep a smaller quantity of it in another container.  I keep a baby food jar of IDY in the fridge, which is much easier to deal with than the 1lb bag, as I typically use a teaspoon or three at a time.  I use yeast three or four times a week, for pizza doughs and other bread products, and the little jar is several week supply. 

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
I store in the freezer in tupperware and it comes straight out of the freezer and into the mixer.  never had any problems..

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

pizzapan