Author Topic: Scale that doesn't eat batteries?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Scale that doesn't eat batteries?
« on: September 17, 2015, 10:23:45 AM »
My Ozeri scale is going through AAA batteries like there's no tomorrow. So I'm looking for something lightweight and reliable and easier on the battery use. It's for home use so "nto too big" is good, since it lives in a kitchen drawer. I already have the scale for tiny weights..This is for flour, water..the big stuff. Suggestions would be welcome and appreciated!

Offline R2-Bayou

Re: Scale that doesn't eat batteries?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:26:11 AM »
I bought the Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Scale in 2009 and don't think I've ever changed the batteries. Use it several times a week.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007GAWNW/?tag=pmak-20
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
I bought this one after seeing it on a Forkish video. Original batteries still good after 9 months. Available at Bed, Bath and Beyond too.

A nice feature is that the platform comes off for easy cleaning.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA/?tag=pmak-20
Hans

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
I have  a MyWeigh KD8000 - it goes up to 8kg.  http://amzn.com/B00VEKX35Y/?tag=pmak-20

I was worried about battery life, so I bought an external power adapter. A year and a half later, when the cord wore out, I "temporarily" used batteries. The batteries (3 x AA) have lasted longer than the power supply did.  :-D

Caveat: I've got the LCD backlight and beeper turned off, so it draws minimal power.
In grams we trust.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »
Thanks guys..those all look like good choices!

Offline dms

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 11:04:41 PM »
I bought the Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Scale in 2009 and don't think I've ever changed the batteries. Use it several times a week.
http://amzn.com/B0007GAWNW/?tag=pmak-20

Amazon tells me "You purchased this item on September 27, 2007."  I've changed the batteries a couple of times, but not many, and I use it all the time, and have for 8 years.  Maybe I'll get it new batteries as a birthday present!  Still works great.

Offline surgtech2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 11:58:03 AM »
I have  a MyWeigh KD8000 - it goes up to 8kg.  http://amzn.com/B00VEKX35Y/?tag=pmak-20

I was worried about battery life, so I bought an external power adapter. A year and a half later, when the cord wore out, I "temporarily" used batteries. The batteries (3 x AA) have lasted longer than the power supply did.  :-D

Caveat: I've got the LCD backlight and beeper turned off, so it draws minimal power.

Just bought one of these too.. so far I like it and I didnt buy the adapter (yet) I decided to see how long the batteries would last and go from there. Pretty nice scale so far..

Offline texmex

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »
My lithium battery died on my scale this week.  I was looking at that MYweigh scale, but I hate that they don't do fractions of grams. Not that happy with my current scale, have to adjust for grams by pushing a button underneath the machine, and it is a PITA! It takes several tries to make it switch over.
Those microgram scales are cool, but then I get prompts for vape pens and herb crushers too.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  :-D  >:D
Reesa

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 01:03:19 AM »
I have the KD-8000 described above. The "mode" button on top of the scale allows you to work between metric and U.S. measures with ease. I've had mine for almost two years now and have yet to replace the batteries, and when I do, they're cheap. The scale is durable and very portable(light weight), it even has a hard flip up cover over the key pad to protect it. Best of all, they're about $40.00 from Amazon.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline petef

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 07:56:51 PM »
I have the KD-8000 described above.

I'm the 4th person in this thread to recommend the KD-8000.

As for Battery life, it has a feature where you can set the time in minutes that it auto-sleeps to save the batteries.

Great scale overall.

---pete---

wordpress