Author Topic: Spiral hook on a C hook Kitchenaid? Yeah Baby!!!!  (Read 34973 times)

Offline holorim

Re: Spiral hook on a C hook Kitchenaid? Yeah Baby!!!!
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »
Hi breadman_nz,
The spiral hook shown on the link above is the one which came with my N50. It appears to me that Hobart fairly recently replaced the antique C-hook by the spiral new one.
If we refer to the Hobart denomination : 'E' = C-shaped, and 'ED' = spiral. So, if you bought a 'ED' hook, then your local distributor should have provided the spiral new model, but maybe he preferred to sell an old C-shaped remaining in his stock.

By the way, I already bought another N50 hook from Globe, and they provided me the spiral one, even if the photo on their website is not up to date (the C-shaped is supposed to be discontinued).
Regards.

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
Thanks - I've sent you a PM about possibly ordering a hook from Globe :)

Offline holorim

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2011, 04:52:40 PM »
Hi again,
(sorry but I didn't received any pm yet)

If you want to buy this hook, maybe these references will be helpfull :

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2011, 07:46:36 AM »
That's great info. I'm semi-annoyed that between Globe Equipment's old picture, and my local supplier sending a 'c' hook, that I was unaware for so long of the proper N50 spiral hook being available. Google failed to help - searching for 'N50 spiral dough hook' as I did originally doesn't exactly bring up relevant info.

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2012, 02:42:48 AM »
UPDATE: I've since tried a couple of more hooks on my N50, including the official OEM one pictured above.

1) The KNS25BDH hook - which is for the KA 5Qt 'narrow bowl'. Its sweep was too narrow to effectively get the dough together and mix it. Not enough 'action' on the dough.

2)  The OEM Hobart spiral hook for the N50, part no. "EDDOUGH-ALU005". Interestingly, I have found it's not quite as effective as the KNS256BDH. It has a good action and gets the dough together well enough, however the dough has a slightly higher tendency to ride up the hook and spin around when compared to the KNS256BDH. It's still significantly better than the stock 'c' hook. Anyway, your mileage may vary with an N50, depending on exact tolerances.

In order to get the dough together, I've now taken to using the beater first for about 30 seconds, then use the beater once the dough is together. Much more effective and efficient than watching the hook (any of them) trying to coalesce the flour and water!

Offline kramer73

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
I sent a question to someone selling these on ebay to see if I could use it in my KSM150, but they said no :(

Guess I'll just have to keep making dough the way I normally do!

pizzapan