Author Topic: Spiral hook on a C hook Kitchenaid? Yeah Baby!!!!  (Read 33070 times)

Offline doughboy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Spiral hook on a C hook Kitchenaid? Yeah Baby!!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2007, 12:43:56 PM »
Thank you for the measurement.  I am guessing this also means that it will not work with the Artisan due to the length.  When I put my regular C hook in there, which is about 5.5" in length, there is no more than about 0.5" between the end of the hook and the bottom of the bowl.  I guess this means either save up for a new mixer.... or improvise!  I could be the first 3rd party source for spiral hooks for Artisan mixers  :pizza:

I measured the spiral from the tip to the top, a full length, but you measure for the tip to the under side, it is 5.5", so it depends where you measure from, and from the sounds of it, other people are using them in their artisans also already.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2007, 01:38:21 PM »
Well I ordered one.  It was $10 including shipping so how can you go wrong.  But my C hook is only about 5.5" from top to bottom and not a lot of bowl clearance.  I do have a 5 qt bowl if that means anything.  We'll find out.  If it does not work I may look into having some made.  I haven't had anyone with an Artisan be able to give me a yes or no that it fits!
Patrick

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2007, 01:49:38 PM »
pcampbell,

Where did you find a sprial hook for $10?  The cheapest I could find one was for ~$20 and that did not include shipping.

Could you please provide me with a link it that is possible.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »
It was an ebay auction.  They have a bunch for $20 including shipping.  I just happened to catch this at the right time I guess...
Patrick

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2007, 12:03:50 PM »
I just wanted to confirm that there is no way a regular KA600 spiral hook will work with an Artisan mixer.  It attaches correctly but is quite a bit too long.
Patrick

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2007, 10:20:41 AM »
Has anyone cut one of these off yet for the smaller mixers?
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »
I am not sure you will get the same effect by cutting it short because the curve isn't going to "complete".  I was looking into having shorter overall ones manufactured but have come to the conclusion that the easiest way for me to do it is probably to shell out 200 bucks for a used Pro 600 and sell my Artisan for 100 and call it a day. 

I am really getting sick of my C hook especially when you see the videos of how well the spiral works!  I think that the Artisan does a poor job kneading just 1000 grams of dough (entire ball) and that is about 2 pies.  I think at 500 grams it seems to work OK.  So I am in search of a used Pro 600 now - I think I have my wife's approval.  :chef:
Patrick

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2007, 06:11:59 PM »
I guess I'll be looking for spousal approval as well. Gonna be tough after the 2Stone investment.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:57:58 PM by mmarston »
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2007, 02:08:47 PM »
I am looking real hard at the Refurbed KV25G0X models on ebay.  This is 1 step down from the Pro 600 but comes with the PowerKnead hook.  Essentially it is a less powerful motor and a smaller bowl, and the handle is not ergo.  They are sold directly from KA and it looks like if you are patient, about $200 including shipping.   

I wonder if Villa or whomever can chime in to let us know if you ever have any dough creeping problems.  I watched your YouTube videos and it doesn't seem like it.  What was the total weight of the dough balls seen in these videos or total weight you feel comfortable with in the 5 qt.

EDIT Wow.  After mulling and comparing specs of KA mixers all day, I found a brand new KV25G0X on ebay for $172 including shipping.  I believe this is quite reasonable so I purchased it.  This is the Kitchen Aid Professional 5 Plus Series Stand Mixer, again one step down from the Pro 600.  Can't wait to receive it and try it out.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 05:17:34 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline PizzaBrasil

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2007, 10:24:32 AM »
I made a spiral or helicoidal hook by myself, just learning and or copying from a lot of information on the WWW.
Basically, the secret is that the spiral needs to rotate to push down the dough, having a shape that be in contact with it in so many places as possible.
It works beatefully with my last three and half pound dough.
Following some pictures.

Luis

Offline oscar

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »
Just found this thread after buying (and using 2 times) a KitchenAid Artisan. Here in Europe there's no Pro versions, and decided not to go with the lifting bowl because of the nicer esthetics and easy mobility. I've already verified that the kneading action of the C hook isn't very efective, especially with low quantities. After starting reading this thread I ran and bought an spiral hook, but now I see that the hack only works with the lifting bowl model. Sigh.

Well, apart from ranting, this post was to say that maybe a hack similar to beaterblade.com (can't link yet, sorry), but just attached to the C hook instead of replacing it, might be done elegantly.

Offline mike_b

• Pizza is a work of art
    • omnes.tv
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »
For those that used the spiral hook on KitchenAid mixers which did not support them: How is your mixer performing? Has this hack caused any issues to your mixers over time?
  • Pizza Lover

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
wow, great job.  Very nice what some imagination can do.  Thanks for posting your pictures.

I made a spiral or helicoidal hook by myself

Luis
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Shaklee3

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »
Does anyone know if the spiral hook will work with the KSM150 mixers? It has the tilt back instead of the rising one. I really don't care if I burn out the motor since I'm tired of the crappy C hook just grabbing the dough and taking it for a ride. The mixer is completely useless with the C hook. The only kneading it does when I try 1 batch of Tom Lehmann dough is by air. It literally swings the dough around on the hook and never pushes it down or into the sides. I thought I read somewhere that someone said the spiral hook will hit the bottom of other artisan mixers, but I'm not sure about this one. It's a 5-quart mixer.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:09:36 PM by Shaklee3 »

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »
Does anyone know if the spiral hook will work with the KSM150 mixers? It has the tilt back instead of the rising one. I really don't care if I burn out the motor since I'm tired of the crappy C hook just grabbing the dough and taking it for a ride. The mixer is completely useless with the C hook. The only kneading it does when I try 1 batch of Tom Lehmann dough is by air. It literally swings the dough around on the hook and never pushes it down or into the sides. I thought I read somewhere that someone said the spiral hook will hit the bottom of the bowl on this model, but I'm not sure.
It was a while ago, but when I researched this originally it was reported that the spiral hook works with any of the 5 qt bowl sized Kitchen Aids, which I believe you have.  Mine is quite old and a 4.5 qt bowl model so I never pursued further.
There is/was a Kitchen Aid forum with tons of info on this back then, but I did not save any links.

Offline Shaklee3

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »
I'm going to go pick up one of the spirals today, and if it doesn't fit, I'll just return it. I'm afraid it's time to sell this 5qt model if this doesn't work.

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 06:09:29 AM »
Just to resurrect this old thread...

I can confirm that the KA spiral hook works very nicely on a Hobart N50 (I have the K5ASBP bowl, rather than the OEM 'official' ST005).

I accidentally bought the burnished spiral hook, wide bowl (KNS256BDH), rather than the KNS25BDH as Amazon has the part numbers and titles mixed up!. Stoopidly, they have the spiral hook for the wider bowl (KNS256BDH) listed as a spiral hook, burnished - but the spiral hook for the narrow bowl (KNS25BDH) listed as "burnished spiral, wide bowl" : http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Dough-Hook-Burnished-Spiral/dp/B003DYZW1C/?tag=pizzamaking-20

However, a search for "KNS25BDH" on Amazon shows up BOTH versions (one correctly listed, the other not). Sigh.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=KNS25BDH&x=0&y=0&tag=pizzamaking-20

So - LET THE AMAZON BUYER BEWARE! Or at least if you want to avoid my fate of ordering the slightly wrong hook!

Anyway, the new (slightly wrong) hook works very, very nicely. Although the stock N50 hook is a well-machined heavy duty item, the KNS26BDH is no slouch either, and looks suitably industrial - well done KA on this! I can't believe how cheaply these are going for.

Performance-wise, there is no more dough climbing, and it seems to give it a good thorough knead. I'm pretty sure the over-engineering of the N50 will minimise any untoward effects of the spiral action on the planetary - but will report back if there are ever any issues in this regard.

The only minor issue is that there is just a fraction too much clearance above the bottom of the bowl, which means it needs a little prod to get the dough to come together with smaller batches. Larger batches (>1kg) are fine, and once the dough is together, the kneading is excellent. As noted above, this is due to having the wide bowl version (which surprisingly has adequate clearance around the bowl).

I've just ordered a KNS25BDH from ebay... this is a slightly deeper / longer hook, so should be perfect. Will report back in due course.

[EDIT: Amazon has just emailed, thanking me for pointing out their error. They fully refunded my purchase AND - due to the return shipping cost - allowed me to keep the KNS256BDH. Great customer service to 'em, I say!]

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2011, 07:42:45 AM »
Just to complete the loop - my experience of the KNS25BDH vs KNS256BDH with the N50: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14949.msg150305.html#msg150305

Short version: I prefer the KNS256BDH.

Offline holorim

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2011, 01:57:43 PM »
Just to complete the loop - my experience of the KNS25BDH vs KNS256BDH with the N50: [...]
Short version: I prefer the KNS256BDH.
Hi Breadman_nz,
Did you were able to compare the KNS256BDH vs EDDOUGH-ALU005 (i.e the genuine N50 spiral hook shown here : http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7733.msg68520.html#msg68520 ) ?
Regards.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:10:04 PM by holorim »

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2011, 04:59:04 AM »
Hi Breadman_nz,
Did you were able to compare the KNS256BDH vs EDDOUGH-ALU005 (i.e the genuine N50 spiral hook shown here : http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7733.msg68520.html#msg68520 ) ?
Regards.

Holy spiral dough hooks! I hadn't seen that hook for the N50 before! I'm a) annoyed I haven't seen it to try it and b) pleased that it means the N50 is capable of running a spiral without damage (although my assessment of it's planetary design led me to the conclusion already).

I'm suspicious of the part shown though - since I ordered the ED-ALU005 from our local Hobart distributor, and it's more of a standard c-hook shape - although it has a tiny curl at the tip. It looks nothing like the more pronounced spiral on the link you posted. In fact, it looks exactly like the ALU005 sold by Globe: http://www.globeequipment.com/Commercial-Kitchen-Equipment/Cooking-Equipment/Mixers/Eddough-Alu005.

I haven't seen anywhere that sells that hook as shown. Hobart only lists the ED-ALU005 as above. I'd certainly be keen to try it if I could find it!

That said, the KNS256BDH works pretty nicely.