Author Topic: Loo's Malnati's recipe - volume measurements  (Read 16195 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Loo's Malnati's recipe - volume measurements
« on: August 01, 2007, 03:51:37 PM »
There's been some inquiries of late to convert my recipe to volume, so...

With some help from chiguy, who did the original breakdown for this recipe, I thought I'd repost it with the final modification that I made with the oil.  This will make a 14" Lou Malnati's style pizza.

Flour       100% | 442g | 3 1/2 cups at about 125Gr per cup  (approx.) cups for allpurpose
 Water     45%   | 198.9g | 7oz.                          (approx.)
 Corn oil   19%   | 81g | 6 Tablespoons         (approx.)                    1Tb=14g
 Olive oil     4%   | 17.5g | 1.25 Tablespoons      (approx.)                    1Tb=14g
 ADY        0.75% | 3.3g  | .85 teaspoon

I use King Arthur AP flour.  To measure flour, you will need a 1 cup for dry measure and a 1/2 cup dry measuring cup and a spoon and a flat edge like a straight knife to level off the top of the cup measure.  Use the spoon to fill the measuring cup so that the cup is light and airy.  When the cup is slightly mounded, use the straight edge to draw across the top of the cup to level taking care not to compact the flour.  Do this three times for the on cup and one time for the 1/2 cup.

I grease the pan (bottom only...not the sides, it seems to cause the dough to slide) with Crisco shortening.
A 14" gets exactly 1 lb. sliced mozz
I use Johnsonville Sweet Italian sausage.

I combine the yeast with 110* water in the mixer.  After the yeast is fully dissolved I start adding the flour to my Kitchen Aid mixer until it starts getting pretty stiff then I start adding the oil and the rest of the flour.  Once it's all combined I turn the mixer up to a mid speed (4-5) and let it knead for 45-60 seconds.  I pull the dough out of the mixer bowl to add some oil to wipe around in the bowl for the rise.  Back in goes the dough, swirl it around to coat with the little bit of oil and cover with a tea towel.  In the oven it goes with the light on and a pan of hot water on the rack underneath it.  I punch it down after two hours and let it come back up again for another hour or two (until doubled again).  Then it goes into a ziplock bag in to the fridge overnight but I've found that 48 hrs produced the best flavor.  Pull it out about an hour and a half before I want to make the pie.  I slide it out of the bag and straight to the greased pan patting it out on the bottom as evenly as possible and then go around pinching it up the sides.  That's it.  Cheese it.  Sauce it.  Top it.

Loo
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 07:43:49 AM by loowaters »
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: Loo's Malnati's recipe - volume measurements
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:43:03 PM »
Loo to help even further you specify how you measure a cup of flour; sccop and level; spoon and level and etc.

Randy

Offline loowaters

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 05:34:22 PM »
Loo to help even further you specify how you measure a cup of flour; sccop and level; spoon and level and etc.

Randy

Randy, I wouldn't be the guy to advise anyone on how to measure a cup of flour.  I've said it before, I can't consistently make Tollhouse cookies without screwing up the occasional batch because I'm measuring flour by volume.  Anyone have a good Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip bakers formula recipe?  :)

Loo

Online goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:27:33 PM »
Randy, I wouldn't be the guy to advise anyone on how to measure a cup of flour.  I've said it before, I can't consistently make Tollhouse cookies without screwing up the occasional batch because I'm measuring flour by volume.  Anyone have a good Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip bakers formula recipe?  :)

Loo

LOL... I have the recipe but not the bakers formula... :-D

MRS. FIELDS CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES   

2 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
2 c. white sugar
4 eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla
3 c. oat bran
5 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
Add last: 2 (12 oz.) pkg. milk chocolate chips

Cream first 5 ingredients until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are blended. Bake at 400 degrees for 6-12 minutes. Do not overbake.
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 05:31:28 AM »
Thanks, Goose!  :-D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 07:35:51 AM »
Loo, add this or something like this to your recipe. 

To measure flour, you will need a 1 cup for dry measure and a 1/2 cup dry measuring cup and a spoon and a flat edge like a straight knife to level off the top of the cup measure.  Use the spoon to fill the measuring cup so that the cup is light and airy.  When the cup is slightly mounded, use the straight edge to draw across the top of the cup to level taking care not to compact the flour.  Do this three times for the on cup and one time for the 1/2 cup.

Randy

Offline loowaters

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 07:44:58 AM »
Loo, add this or something like this to your recipe. 

To measure flour, ...

Randy

Done.  Edited into the original post above.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 08:00:01 AM »
Glad I could help.

Randy

Online goosen1

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 09:43:20 PM »
Hey Loo,

Did you ever try making Lou's buttercrust?? Just replace the corn oil with butter and add one more tablespoon more of olive oil. It is very very close to it.

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 06:06:34 AM »
Goose, I've never had the buttercrust at the restaurant so I really wouldn't know what I'm shooting for but I think I'll tinker around with this when my schedule allows for it this fall.  Juggling taking care of our 7 week old and our 3 1/2 year old, I try to use my spare time golfing.  Meals have been quickies of late.

Loo

Online goosen1

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
Ohhhhh yeah!!! I have been there... Mine are 9,6 and 4.. My boys love this recipe.. In a couple of years, Your kids will want to help you make these pizzas just so they can play with the dough!!! :-D

Goose

Offline loowaters

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 03:29:12 PM »
Does the dough calculator have an adjustment for that extra dough for the kids?  :)

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 03:34:21 PM »
Heh!
Just jack up the bowl residue % and rename it "kid residue" and you got it made!

How well I remember those days with the kids in the kitchen... mine are 35 and 32!

~sd

UPDATE!::  Better name!!  Call it "Play Dough"!  The real deal!  LOL!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 06:21:47 PM by sourdough girl »
Never trust a skinny cook!

Online goosen1

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 07:51:19 PM »
Heh!
Just jack up the bowl residue % and rename it "kid residue" and you got it made!

That's what I say!!!! I'll need to double the batch just to get the right amount for the pizza!!!!

Goose

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 08:01:18 PM »
I made Loo's recipe tonight and I have a few thoughts and questions.
It was delicious as always.

First, on corn oil.  The last recipe I made wasn't so good so I figured I just messed up somewhere.  I reached for the corn oil to make the dough for tonights and noticed the corn oil was more than a year past the use date.  A whiff over the bottle and I new why the last one was not very good.

I used Crisco in place of the oil and I was very pleased with the results.

Now for a question for Loo or others; Have you experimented with how long to leave the dough out before going into the cooler?  How much sauce do you use for the recipe posted at the beginning of this thread?

Thanks to who ever answers.
Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 10:33:36 PM »
Now for a question for Loo or others; Have you experimented with how long to leave the dough out before going into the cooler?  How much sauce do you use for the recipe posted at the beginning of this thread?

Randy

From my experience, it is better to put into the cooler right away and leave it out longer to warm.  So instead of leaving it out two hours and letting warm two hours I would put it out five hours before use.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline loowaters

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 12:42:14 AM »
I've tinkered around with letting it rise in the oven with the light on then to the fridge, like mentioned in the above recipe and putting it straight into the fridge.  I've found the best results come from that initial room temp rise and 48 hrs. in the fridge but I haven't done the straight to fridge 48 hr. rise, at least that I can remember.  I've always pulled it out about 2 hrs. before use.  I'm sure what DKM suggested is just fine, though.  I have recently done a three hour rise with 1 1/2 hrs. in the oven with light on, then measuring out the dough balls and placing in the pan and covering it for another 1 1/2 hrs.  Pat it out and cook it.  Time limits required me to do this and, to be honest, there wasn't a big difference in flavor.

Loo

Online goosen1

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 01:19:58 AM »
How much sauce do you use for the recipe posted at the beginning of this thread?

Randy

Approx 20-24oz on my 14" deepdish. Depends on how saucy I feel!!!

Goose

Online goosen1

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 01:29:58 AM »
Here you go.. this is the recipe from the top of this thread, Except I made a buttercrust out of it by replacing the corn oil with butter.

Randy, This is with 24oz of my pizza sauce.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 06:49:29 AM »
Thanks guys for the great replies. 

Goose, I think over time I had been cutting back on the sauce and the quality had fallen off.  Seems like a Chicago deep dish is driven buy the sauce.  The one last night I increased the sauce the flavor really jumped up.  I think I was pretty close to your ratio.  Now that I think back,  DKM uses about the same amount of sauce on his deep dish.  I think he posted he uses the whole can.

DKM and Loo,  I was thinking back to the TV video that shows Lou's dough on a board and a person cutting off hunks of the risen dough and throwing it into a dough baller.  I was guessing the dough had been poured onto the board and left to tise before balling and placing in the cooler.  I have made a bunch per DKM's recipe and went right in the cooler and they were some kind of good eating.  I think the next time I will try the full rise before the cooler like Loo suggest and see if I can tell the difference.

Again, Thanks DKM. Goose and Loo.
Randy