Author Topic: Beer vs Water  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Mazz

• 186 miles SSW from Ginos East, Downtown Chicago
Beer vs Water
« on: September 21, 2007, 10:17:48 PM »
Oh, I'm still inspired by this site.  So much info and expertise.  Now to the subject.

I have traditionally used beer rather than water as the main liquid in my pizza crust for Chicago Style Pizza.  Finding this site gave me some ideas to improve my old recipe.  The last two Friday nights, and again this Friday night, I made a pie.  Tonights, however, was by far the best.

Rather than beer, I used water, mainly because there was no beer in the house.  The crust was absolutely the best of the three.  Here's the rundown:

Thickness Factor .13
Flour 100%
Water 49%
IDY .75%
Salt 1%
Olive oil 2%
Corn Oil 16%
Sugar 2%
Cornmeal 5%
Cream of Tartar 1%
Yellow Food Coloring .75%

Baked on the bottom shelf at 450, rotated 180 degrees after 12 minutes, and baked an additional 10 minutes.

I made the dough a day ahead, mixing only 2 minutes tops on "stir" in the Kitchenaid (thanks Randy for the tip!).  Let it rise in the oven with the light on for a few hours.  Punched it down slightly, oiled and bagged it, and put it in the fridge.  Took it out about 4 this afternoon, let it relax for 2 hours.  Put it into a 14" deep x 1-1/2" pan, forked the dough, basted lightly with EVOO, placed slices of provolone and mozz to cover, made a 14" diameter x 1/8" thick Bob Evans Italian Sausage patty, flipped onto the pizza and trimmed.

For the top, my case of 6 IN 1's arrived today, so I popped one open, drained, added 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1T+ Basil, 1T+ Oregano, 1T+ Fennel, 1t Kosher Salt.  Those 6 IN 1 tomatoes are really the best.  A close second that I've used in the past is Dei Fratelli, that I picked up at Wally World in the past.

Sorry no pics.  Burned my camera trigger finger taking the pie out of the oven.  Besides, it pretty much looked like the pics I posted before.

The crust was flavorful, light, and very biscuit-like.  My wife just kept oohing and ahhing the whole time we enjoyed dinner.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Beer vs Water
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 05:36:42 AM »
Dave,

Since you left out the beer this time, were you able to detect the presence of the yellow food coloring in the finished crust? Also, I notice that you used one tablespoon of fennel in your sauce. That strikes me as being a lot. Is the tablespoon measure before crushing?

Peter

Offline Mazz

• 186 miles SSW from Ginos East, Downtown Chicago
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 02:22:51 PM »
Peter - Yes, the food coloring was noticeable in the result without the use of beer.  As far as the fennel, we like lots of fennel.  I don't crush it.  I may have to try that next time.  Does crushing impart more of the flavor?  I assume it would. - Dave

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 02:42:13 PM »
Does crushing impart more of the flavor?  I assume it would.

Dave,

Crushing the fennel seeds will add more flavor. That is perhaps why you were able to use a tablespoon. If you crush the fennel seeds, I would use less of it. Some people use a mix of crushed and uncrushed.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 05:47:44 PM »

I made the dough a day ahead, mixing only 2 minutes tops on "stir" in the Kitchenaid (thanks Randy for the tip!). 

Mazz, a guy named Buzz that we haven't heard from in awhile is the originator of the short knead time with biscuit like texture although I think he did it by hand and I added the KitchenAid instructions following his lead.  Buzz, DKM and now Loo have made the Chicago Deeo dish come to life.  So toss in with us and stay awhile to add your ideas.

Randy

pizzapan