Author Topic: Info for draining crushed tomatos  (Read 3722 times)

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
Info for draining crushed tomatos
« on: September 29, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »
If anyone was wondering about draining a can of tomato's for the deep dish pizza, I drained a 28oz can of 6in1s for my pizza tonight. It drained off 6.8oz of liquid. I'll post a pic of the pizza later tonight.

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline goosen1

Re: Info for draining crushed tomatos
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 09:36:56 PM »
This is a pic with the drained tomato's
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline goosen1

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 09:38:41 PM »
This is a pic without being drained.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 01:17:16 AM »
Yeah Buddie! I much prefer to drain them also. It's amazing how much liquid you can get out of them. Best to get it out so the crust doesn't get soggy on you. Great looking pie Bud, now I'm hungry.  8) :pizza:
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline goosen1

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 09:30:58 AM »
Yeah Buddie! I much prefer to drain them also. It's amazing how much liquid you can get out of them. Best to get it out so the crust doesn't get soggy on you. Great looking pie Bud, now I'm hungry.  8) :pizza:
Thanks Bryan,

Here you go... No soggy crust here!!!

Goose

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 11:40:17 PM »
 Beautiful  :pizza: Goose.  :chef:
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Abouna

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:31:14 PM »
OK, I have some questions.

I used two separate cans for my Detroit styles last night, one was Wal-Mart brand and the other was Hunt's maybe.  The Wal-Mart stuff was what I think crushed should be, basically slightly chunky sauce consistency.  The Hunt's on the other hand was basically sauce with little to no texture.

My real questions is, how are these drained?  IMO both of these, even the slightly chunkier WM stuff, would just run through a seive.  Maybe the 6in1 is chunkier yet (I can't get it here)?

Offline goosen1

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 09:36:40 PM »
OK, I have some questions.

I used two separate cans for my Detroit styles last night, one was Wal-Mart brand and the other was Hunt's maybe.  The Wal-Mart stuff was what I think crushed should be, basically slightly chunky sauce consistency.  The Hunt's on the other hand was basically sauce with little to no texture.

My real questions is, how are these drained?  IMO both of these, even the slightly chunkier WM stuff, would just run through a seive.  Maybe the 6in1 is chunkier yet (I can't get it here)?
I would use the Wal-mart brand.. One of the guys here say that they are real close of a taste to 6in1s. When I drain mine, I use a wire strainer. Make sure you let it sit for around 30 min just so you get enough liquid out.

Goose

Offline Abouna

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 10:08:46 PM »
I would use the Wal-mart brand.. One of the guys here say that they are real close of a taste to 6in1s. When I drain mine, I use a wire strainer. Make sure you let it sit for around 30 min just so you get enough liquid out.

Goose

Sounds good.  I did like the looks of the WM stuff.

Offline Klankster

• Klanky.com
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 01:27:15 AM »
Absolutely drain those tomatoes!  When I make my Chicago deep-dish style pizza I use a 28-ounce can of Hunts or Contadina crushed tomatoes and about 3 hours before I start assembly of the pizza, I pour the can of tomatoes into a wire sieve and let the excess water drain out for the entire time.  Sometimes I get more than a cup of water out of it.  Then I add two cans of tomato paste, spices, salt and crushed garlic.  Much better results than undrained!
They call me MISTER Pizza-Boy!

Offline JJ

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »
Here's my method. I take my can opener and puncture opposite sides of the 6in1 can,flip it upside down and let it drain for 10-15 minutes. :)
Chicago's southwest side close to Home Run Inn,Palermo's 63rd,Vito & Nick's,Giordano's & Obbie's!