Author Topic: PUPATELLA - Neapolitan Street Cart  (Read 2128 times)

Offline PUPATELLA

PUPATELLA - Neapolitan Street Cart
« on: September 29, 2007, 06:57:31 PM »
Dear Pizza Team,

We have been reading this forum for a couple of years now and found it very helpful in building up our knowledge about pizza. 

Now, me and my partner Enzo Algarme have opened our own food establishment and want to invite you guys to check it out.
Enzo, who is from Naples, Italy, worked in the kitchen of the renown  "Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente" (certified by Verace Pizza Napoletana) in Naples, where he learned how to make authentic Neapolitan specialties, which we are now making here, in Arlington, Virginia.  Some things, like the Neapolitan Fried Calzone, you can't find anywhere else in this area.
We also make Palle di Riso (crunchy rice balls stuffed with peas, veggie crumble and cheese), Panzarotti - potato croquettes stuffed with mozzarella, Neapolitan-style pizza (we do not have a wood-burning oven, but use the same recipe and the ingredients as pizzerias in Naples).

The food we serve is the authentic Neapolitan STREET food, just like you find on the streets of Naples.
Our food establishment is a STREET CART, not a restaurant, so the prices are more than reasonable.

We have been open for about 1 week in the neighbourhood of Ballston, in Arlington, VA just outside the Metro station, at the corner of Stuart and 9th streets.  We are only open Mon-Fri for breakfast and lunch right now, from 8 to 3:30, but soon will be open until 8pm.

Come to give us a shot!

Anastasiya and Enzo

pupatella.com
myspace.com/pupatella1pizza

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: PUPATELLA - Neapolitan Street Cart
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 05:18:36 AM »
Well done you guys.

That is a good start!

Good luck

Marco

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 09:24:24 AM »
We have been reading this forum for a couple of years now and found it very helpful in building up our knowledge about pizza

Anastasiya and Enzo,

I'd be curious to know what it is that you learned on the forum over the past two years that you are now using in your business. Also, if you do not have a wood-fired oven, how are you baking your Neapolitan-style pizzas?

Good luck with you new business. I hope you will check in from time to time to tell us of your progress.

Peter

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 11:35:10 AM »
Pete-zza,

I hope they mean making Neapolitan Fried Calzone, Also known as Pizza Fritta, ripieno fritto etc.... (and therefore they called it Neapolitan - Style pizza)

As in my old post it is made with the same dough as in the wood fired pizza and can be filled with the same ingredients.

Alternatively, I guess they are using an electric oven on the cart????

However, I think it is a good way to establish the reputation for that type of food in the area, before (if ever) committing to a full scale pizzeria.

Ciao

Offline PUPATELLA

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 10:00:48 AM »
 ;D

FreeRide Eating Around: Ballston Gets New Pizza Cart Map It:  Ballston   Woodley Park  ENZO ALGARME and Anastasiya Laufenberg weren't kidding when they said they know pizza.

The name of Ballston's new Pupatella Food Cart "pupatella" is slang for doll in Naples is a reference to Algarme's grandmother who inspired his love of cooking. Although they've only been open a week and are making do with a standard oven as opposed to the wood-burning one that's becoming the standard in the area's top pizza joints, Algarme and Laufenberg turning out an impressive thin-crust margherita pie. It's well-cooked, but not too brittle, and topped with basil, mozzarella and a glaze of sauce with a hint of sweetness.

The duo's range of offerings in addition to pizza is ambitious, as passers-by acknowledged in our recent visit when they read the specials board, which included fried calzones, stuffed rice balls, potato croquettes, ravioli and tiramisu and cannolis for dessert. Although the cart is only open from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Algarme and Laufenberg are hoping to extend hours to 8 p.m. by Oct. 15.

You can find the cart at N. Stuart Street and 9th Street N., near Ballston's Orange Line station.

this is an article from the Washington Post Express

readexpress.com

thanks for the support!!!

pizzapan