Author Topic: IDY conversion to ADY  (Read 1828 times)

Offline 5by5

IDY conversion to ADY
« on: October 04, 2007, 02:54:10 PM »
I can't seem to find any IDY here so I purchased some ADY.  I was going to use this recipe:

zzz.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1707.msg20711.html#msg20711
[hmmm, I can't link as a new member so I spoofed the link above]

Every recipe I've found here calls for IDY.  What conversion, as well as mixing changes, do I need if I'm using ADY?

I'm trying for a NY style pizza.

Thanks!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: IDY conversion to ADY
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 04:16:17 PM »
Tony,

For convenience, here is the full link: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1707.msg20711.html#msg20711.

The easiest and fastest way to do the IDY to ADY conversion is to use the yeast conversion chart at http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm. So, for 0.05 ounces of IDY, which falls between 0.04 and 0.06 in the chart, you would use between about t. and t. ADY. So, about 5/8 t. should do it for the recipe given at the abovereferenced page. Another way to keep in mind when doing conversions between IDY and ADY is that, according to the yeast producers, 1 t. of IDY is equivalent to 2 t. of ADY.

Keep in mind that when using ADY, you should rehydrate it in a small amount of the total formula water at around 105 degree F, for about 10 minutes. It can then be added to the rest of the formula water (at 72 degrees F according to Reply 8). There will be no need to change anything else in the recipe itself because of the yeast substitution, although there will be a few changes in the preparation of the dough as a result.

BTW, for future reference, the yeast that is sold in the supermarkets as bread machine yeast is really IDY.

Peter

Offline 5by5

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 04:35:17 PM »
Thanks for the link Peter.  I hope to give the recipe a try this weekend.

BTW, for future reference, the yeast that is sold in the supermarkets as bread machine yeast is really IDY.

Peter

I'll have to look at the Bread machine yeast at the grocery again tomorrow.  I could have sworn that package of yeast had "Active Dry Yeast" stamped on it as well.  It is the Fleischmanns brand.

Tony

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 04:46:29 PM »
Tony,

I believe that Fleischmann's sells both ADY and bread machine yeast in the supermarket and, if I am not mistaken, both forms come in small bottles. In a pinch, you can also use the Fleischmann's Rapid-Rise yeast, which is a strain of yeast that is similar to IDY. However, if you plan to do a lot of pizza making, your best bet is to get the one-pound packages of IDY sold by SAF and Fleischmann's in the big box stores like Wal-Mart, Costco's and BJ's. You can also order IDY from places like King Arthur and Amazon.com but you will have to pay shipping charges, which you can avoid by going to one of the stores mentioned above. A pound of IDY can last for years if stored in the freezer.

Peter