Author Topic: Fried Pizza from Mark Bitman, NY times  (Read 5857 times)

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
Fried Pizza from Mark Bitman, NY times
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:47:25 PM »
I've had fried calzones in Brooklyn that were fabulous but never fried pizza.
My mother in law from Naples (85 years old) tells me this was very popular before WWII.
I don't know that I'll try it out soon as I'm infatuated with my 2Stone pizza grill right now.

Here's a link to the article and a video.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/dining/07mini.html?ref=dining

New York Times, November 7, 2007
Recipe: Pan-Fried Pizza

Time: About 2 hours

2 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more as needed

3/4 teaspoon instant yeast

1 teaspoon coarse salt

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more for cooking

About 2 cups any light, fresh tomato sauce, warmed

Sliced mozzarella to taste

Salt and black pepper

Prosciutto slices and basil leaves for topping (optional).

1. Combine flour, yeast and salt in a food processor. Turn machine on and add 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons oil through feed tube. Process for about 30 seconds, adding more water, a tablespoon or so at a time, until mixture forms a ball and is slightly sticky to the touch. (If mixture becomes too sticky, add flour a tablespoon at a time.)

2. Put one tablespoon olive oil in a bowl and turn dough ball in it. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise until dough doubles in size, 1 to 2 hours. When dough is ready, re-form into a ball and divide it into 4 pieces; roll each piece into a ball. Place each piece on a lightly floured surface, sprinkle with a little flour, and cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Let rest until each puffs slightly, about 20 minutes.

3. When ready to cook, press one ball into about a 10-inch round. Use a little flour, if needed, to prevent sticking and a rolling pin, if desired. Film a 10-inch skillet with olive oil and turn heat to medium. When oil shimmers, put dough in pan and adjust heat so it browns evenly without burning. (If dough puffs up unevenly in spots, push bubbles down.)

4. Turn dough, then top browned side with tomato sauce, cheese, a bit of salt and pepper, and, if you like, prosciutto and/or basil leaves. If top is now heavily laden, cover pan and continue cooking, or run it under broiler, just until toppings become hot. With only a couple of toppings, just cook until bottom browns. Repeat with remaining dough; serve hot, warm or at room temperature.

Yield: At least 4 servings.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 11:07:19 PM by mmarston »
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Fried Pizza from Mark Bitman, NY times
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 12:04:05 AM »
Fried calzones are still very popular in Naples.  The ones I had there were amazing!

Offline nttone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:12:29 PM »
Necroposting here, but I just happened across the thread and this blog popped right into my head. http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Display=83.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »
nttone,
I've read that blog you posted elsewhere on the internet... (might even be this site, I don't remember because I read so much!) and it is very good... and might even inspire us to try something "new"!

I have actually tried the Mark Bittman recipe... using exactly the ingredients he did... fresh mozz, thinly sliced fresh tomatoes and proscuitto with fresh basil and a sprinkle of pepper flakes... HEAVEN!!  The only issue I had was the oil temp, but my second try was much better!  I even use my Sicilian style dough with great success... just make it round instead of oblong! 

THAT was some DELICIOUS pizza!  The crust was crispy and light... the toppings just heated, cheese just melted.  Perfect.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 12:02:42 AM »
I got to tell you, that looks fantastic. I gotta try this.  8)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 02:18:12 AM »
This reminds me of one of my asian favorites.  The scallion pancake, or scallion pie. A true delicacy when you get one with the right texture.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 02:59:45 AM »
ok, scott r...
you have my curiosity at a high level...  HOW does this pizza mesh with what you have posted??  I LOVE all things Asian, too... so... do TELL!  I make a killer "egg fu yung" type dish with lots of scallions, but this sounds more like something yeasted?  A "fried Asian pizza??"  You need to share....  please??   :chef:

Even if a new thread is in order... there might be more folks out there than just me who have inquiring minds!

Bryan... TRY IT, you'll LIKE it!!  HEH!

~sd
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 03:01:18 AM by sourdough girl »
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:39:01 AM »
SD, if you have never had the pleasure of eating a properly done scallion (or green onion) pancake you are in for a real treat.  It's fried high hydration dough infused with scallions, then dipped in a cilantro ginger sauce.

Check out this piece that I lifted from Wikipedia

For much of the 20th century, many Chinese erroneously believed pizza is an evolution of green onion pancake, brought back to Italy by Marco Polo.[citation needed] Here is a typical version of the myth:
Marco Polo missed green onion pancakes so much that when he was back in Italy, he tried to find chefs willing to make the pancake for him. One day, he managed to meet a chef from Naples at a friend's dinner party and persuaded him to try recreating the dish. After half a day without success, Marco Polo suggested the filling be put at the top rather than inside the dough. The change, by chance, created a dish praised by everyone at the party. The chefs returned to Naples and improvised by adding cheese and other ingredients and formed today's pizza. [1]
The belief has since been dissipated in places like Hong Kong where people have gained awareness of the existence of focaccia, but is still extremely prevalent in some countries such as mainland China and Taiwan[citation needed] .
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:47:18 AM by scott r »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »
Scott,

These are indeed great treats. The one I make uses baking powder and two doughs - hot water & cold water. Fried in lard! I use the recipe from Barbara Tropp in The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking. I think I'll make some this week. Thanks for the inspiration.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 12:19:07 PM »
I can't wait for your pictures bill!

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 03:45:31 PM »
I can't wait for your pictures bill!
and the recipe.  ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 04:40:17 PM »
I had some left over dough from last nights pizze (caputo, 63%), so this morning I made a fried pizza. I used a 5 oz dough ball in an 8" skillet. Was very good-nice and chewy.