Author Topic: My first attempt at American Style  (Read 3461 times)

Offline TronCarter

My first attempt at American Style
« on: December 20, 2007, 08:07:24 PM »
After hanging around this site for a month or so I decided it was time to try my hand at making an American Style pizza.  After doing some looking around I found all of the ingredients I didn't have like SAF yeast and Classico olive oil.  MysticCobra alerted me to the fact that KitchenAid is offering a $50 mail in rebate for the Pro 600 stand mixer, so I stopped thinking about it and just bought one.  It arrived on Monday and on Tuesday I made my first batch of Randy's recipe for dough.  I thought I had everything I needed until I found that I was out of honey.  I was excited to get a batch going and had some corn syrup, so I used that instead.  Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly.  On Wednesday I made a batch of SourDoughGirl's sauce and put it in the fridge for tonight (except for the cheese rinds, I didn't have any).  I got them both out at lunch time so they would be ready for dinner.  I arrived home after work to find that the 16" pizza screens that I ordered from CPAPC arrived.  I sprayed the screens with some non-stick spray and put them in the oven during the preheat in hopes of seasoning them.

The dough stretched out nicely (it made one 16" pie), there was enough sauce for two 16" pizzas.  I docked with a fork.  I used Hormel pepperoni, Sargento Mozerella / Provolone mix (8oz) some green olives and some banana peppers.  Pictured below are my results:   

Overall I am pleased, but I need to spice the sauce up a bit for my tastes and would like to try the dough with honey, although with corn syrup it was still the best dough I have ever made.  I'm not in love with the cheese, so I will try some others.  I also had some sticking problems in a small area of the screen, but I think that was because the dough got a little thin there and I probably poked some holes in it when applying the sauce.  Still the best pizza I have ever made.

Tron

Offline asheborobluecomets

Re: My first attempt at American Style
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 11:56:03 PM »
TronCarter ... very impressive !!!!  That is a very good looking pizza crust for the first time !!!  Would you mind posting the recipe & the steps you followed?  Thanks

:chef:

Offline TronCarter

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 09:03:14 AM »
Thank you.  :D

For crust I used Randy's recipe, found here with a the substitution of corn syrup for honey.  Here is my version:

16 oz King Arthur Bread Flour (KABF)
9.9 oz Water by weight warm 90-110deg.
2 TBS  raw sugar
1 TBS Corn Syrup (will try honey next time)
1 Tablespoon Bertolli Classico Olive Oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon SAF yeast

Using the dough hook.
Put flour, salt and yeast in bowl then run on stir.
Mix sugar, honey, and water then add to bowl on stir stop when it clumps
Rest 5 min
Add oil
Run 5 min
Rest 5
Run 7

Finish knead on a lightly floured surface and shape into a ball  Place in the refrigerator in a lightly sealed container coated with olive oil coating. for overnight or up to three days.  Remove 3  hours before panning.  Makes a 16-18 pizza or two 12 pizzas

The crust was great, but I did make some mistakes.  I didn't figure out until the last minute that I was out of honey and used corn oil instead.  I also did not stretch the dough like I should have and it was too thin in the middle and too thick towards the edge.  The outer inch of dry crust was good thickness, but the next two or so inches in were too thick and the toppings seemed to slide towards the center.  The inner portion was too thin.  These were just my mistakes and not the fault of the original recipe.  It was still the best crust I have ever made.

For the sauce I SourDoughGirl's recipe, found here.  My version was:

14.5 oz Red Gold Diced Tomatoes (ok, but I am going to try some others)
2 T tomato paste
1 t dried oregano
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t dried marjoram
1/4 t dried basil
1 t onion powder
1/2 t granulated garlic
1/2 t coarse kosher salt
1 dried bay leaf

I put all of the above (except for the bay leaf) in the blender and ran for 10-15 seconds to puree the tomatoes and mix everything up.  I poured it into a bowl, inserted the bay leaf, put on a lid and let sit on the counter for 2 hours.  In the fridge overnight and then took it out when I took out the crust to warm up.  I didn't have any cheese rinds, so I sprinkled some parm/romano on top after applying the sauce.  I won't do that next time, I didn't really care for it because it tended to burn instead of add any flavor to the sauce.  I think in my next batch I will add some black and red pepper to see how I like it.  I also made a mistake here in that I should have cracked open the top of the can and let the clear liquid drain out before using.  The final sauce was a bit thin. 

I also must say that I am not a good judge of how spicy something is.  Others may like the sauce just the way it is.  I eat just about everything with either crushed or ground red pepper on it, because that is the way that I like it.  Doing this has severely dulled my ability to sense spiciness, so if I make something to my spicy standard, other people often can't eat it.  I also make a spicy pretzel snack that is very popular and in getting the recipe the way I wanted it, I had to take some to work on several occasions to see what "normal" people thought of it.  Now I can make "for them" and "for me" batches.  The first time I made it I took a "for me" batch to work and when others tried it they thought I was playing a cruel joke on them and wanted to know why I would do such a thing.   :'(

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 09:16:11 AM »
Tron and asheborobluecomets,

Over a period of years, Randy has posted several versions of his American style dough. If you do a forum search under his name and using the word "honey" (without the quotes), you should find them all. However, at my request a few months ago, Randy posted his latest recommended version of the Papa John's clone (apparently Randy's original recipe) at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5721.msg48500.html#msg48500.

Peter

Offline asheborobluecomets

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:44:02 AM »
Thanks Pete-zza! I'm new at pizza making & have really enjoyed reading your post!
You are da man!!!!!

:chef:

Offline TronCarter

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 11:57:45 AM »
Thanks Pete,

I am a scientist by day, so the way you breakdown recipes really speaks to my mathematical inner child.  Keep up the good work.  :pizza:   

pizzapan