Author Topic: Another Pizza Video-Margherita in Naples  (Read 3489 times)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Another Pizza Video-Margherita in Naples
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:11:35 AM »
Not sure if this site is that well known or not-it's like youtube for food.

The video was pretty interesting, and is here-

http://www.ifood.tv/channel?id=250

On the right scroll to the bottom to see the margherita video.

Jeff

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Re: Another Pizza Video-Margherita in Naples
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 12:26:07 PM »
that link brought me to a chocolate making video... here is a direct link to the pizza one:

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/pizza_margherita
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 02:40:44 PM »
nice quick overview... too bad she doesn't mention in the "recipe" how much flour is used...or what kind... or even that flour IS used!  You just add 2 L of water, 25 g of yeast and three handfuls of coarse sea salt to "the dough mixing machine"... and 20 minutes later, you have dough!   :-D 

Nobody in the comments section seemed to notice, either, that flour was never mentioned...
or maybe I'm the only one who wasn't distracted by the winsome hostess...  ::)

~sd

Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 02:43:47 PM »
I also was amused to see the recipe rated as "easy" like everybody has a red hot wood fired oven in their kitchen.
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »

Nobody in the comments section seemed to notice, either, that flour was never mentioned...
or maybe I'm the only one who wasn't distracted by the winsome hostess...  ::)

~sd

LOL!

I have to use "winsome" more-great word. :-D

Jeff

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 03:50:25 PM »
sourdough girl,

In Naples, the usual practice is to start with the water and base the rest of the ingredients off of the water. Baker's percents are not commonly used. Flour is simply added until the right finished dough condition is achieved. For one liter of water, about 1600-1700 grams of flour might be considered to be fairly typical (representing a hydration of around 59-63%). For two liters of water, the amount of flour would be double (3200-3400 grams). The precise amount to use is typically governed by the ambient temperature at which the dough is to be fermented. That usually means using more flour in the summer (to slow down the fermentation by decreasing the hydration) and less flour in the winter (to speed up the fermentation by increasing the hydration). It is also common to adjust the amount of yeast and salt used. In Italy, about 70% of all flour used is 00 flour. The recipe tab just below the video mentions flour as an ingredient. I think it is safe to assume that it is 00 flour, which would be entirely consistent with a Neapolitan pizza dough.

By my estimation, three handfuls of coarse sea salt will weigh around 80 grams. That would be around 2.4-2.5% by weight of flour, and would be in the ballpark for a typical Neapolitan dough. At 25 grams of fresh yeast, the baker's percent would be around 0.74-0.78%. On a normal day, that should be plenty enough to allow the dough to about double in a couple of hours.

Now there is nothing to stop you from practicing the recipe :chef:.

Peter

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:28:23 PM »
sourdough girl,
Now there is nothing to stop you from practicing the recipe :chef:.
Peter
I also was amused to see the recipe rated as "easy" like everybody has a red hot wood fired oven in their kitchen.
Peter,
I knew I could count on you for "the rest of the recipe"!  But I think Michael has put his finger on the one flaw in the scenario!

Interesting that flour IS listed under the ingredients tab (but not how much or what kind)... but the only other ingredient mentioned there is the mozz!  sheesh!

Guess I just find humor in the fact that, while it's a nice little video about The Queen of Pizzas, it's touted as a recipe even though not all the ingredients are given!  My grandmother would be proud as that was her thing... you'll never make "X" as good as I can because I won't let you!  Not quite the same thing here: leaving the flour out doesn't really matter since most of us can't do it at home anyway because the oven is the limiting factor.

I do appreciate your scientific efforts to make sure that those of the membership who DO have wood burning ovens have the recipe!   ;)

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Jamie

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 03:25:46 AM »
Damn what was pretty :)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »
Did I hear her right - Fior di latte is 50/50 ?If anyone can enlighten me on this ,it would be appreciated.I had taken the info from the following (and others )to be correct ?

http://www.diwinetaste.com/dwt/en2003127.php

Mozzarella di bufala Campana (Campania's mozzarella of buffalo) - The European commission created a logo which allows the identification of food products safeguarded by specific laws, also known as DOP, that is Denominazione di Origine Protetta (Appellation of Protected Origin). This ensures the characteristics of the products to be strictly bound to the geographic environment in which it comes from. Mozzarella di bufala Campana obtained the DOP mark with the CEE regulation n. 1107 of 12 June 1996. For geographic environment it is intended not only the geographic area, but also climate, soil, human factors and local traditions. Mozzarella di bufala Campana DOP is a cheese produced with whole buffalo milk and regulated by a disciplinary emanated by DPR 28 September 1979. In order to safeguarding mozzarella all over the world it was established “Consorzio per la tutela del formaggio mozzarella di bufala Campana” (Consortium for safeguarding of Campania's buffalo mozzarella cheese). The consortium duties are to promote, valuing, help producers, safeguarding typicality and peculiar characteristics, as well as controlling the production and trading in order to ensure laws to be obeyed. Mozzarella di bufala Campana must be exclusively produced with buffalo milk, from animals bred in allowed areas of Campania and lower Latium, and must be produced in the same areas. It is the only mozzarella that can make use of the yellow/blue logo with a buffalo head depicted.
Mozzarella di latte di bufala (Mozzarella of buffalo milk) - It is a mozzarella produced with buffalo milk not coming from Campania or lower Latium, or however according to a process not allowed by the disciplinary
Mozzarella con latte di bufala (Mozzarella with buffalo milk) - It is a pretty rare appellation, however possible, allowed by the laws. In this case it should be reported the percentage of buffalo milk used for production, on the contrary it is intended buffalo milk is the main ingredient
Mozzarella tradizionale (Traditional Mozzarella) - It is produced with cow milk. This appellation ensures the production process obeys norms of the European Union. The package must report the indication “Guaranteed traditional specialty”
Mozzarella o fior di latte - Product obtained with the same procedures allowed for the preceding types with cow milk only. There are two variants of this product: “magra” (lean), with a quantity of fats lower than 20%, and “leggera” (light), with a quantity of fats of 20-35%
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 12:41:08 PM »
Did I hear her right - Fior di latte is 50/50 ?

That was not the only slip up in that video, but it was still good.  I talked to a mozzarella producer in Napoli recently who said the Mozzarella di bufala we get imported here to the States is 50/50 at best.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 12:59:42 PM »
sumeri,
You just touched on a fascinating subject. Why is the cheese available over "there" better?

I just spent a couple of weeks in Europe and my experience in Paris was exactly that. The cheese was universally stunningly excellent as was all the food I had the pleasure of eating. London, on the other hand, was particularly bad across the board with all foods except the cheese. I had the opportunity to eat at one of UK's more famous restaurants, Rhodes 24, and it was medicore at best from appetizer to dessert. But their cheese was simply delicious. The bread didn't compensate much either. The overly excessive bill at the end though was the clincher.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 03:47:41 PM »
sumeri,
You just touched on a fascinating subject. Why is the cheese available over "there" better?

I just spent a couple of weeks in Europe and my experience in Paris was exactly that. The cheese was universally stunningly excellent as was all the food I had the pleasure of eating. London, on the other hand, was particularly bad across the board with all foods except the cheese. I had the opportunity to eat at one of UK's more famous restaurants, Rhodes 24, and it was medicore at best from appetizer to dessert. But their cheese was simply delicious. The bread didn't compensate much either. The overly excessive bill at the end though was the clincher.

Hi Peter,

You have been in London and did not get in touch???? I am offended!!!

Anyway, Gary Rhodes is a TV chef, but I would not say that his restaurant is one of the better.

There are truly great lace in London Like in NYC. For a special experience at reasonable prices I would have suggested few other places for you, Meze or the Bacchus above all. Locanda Locatelli is a great Italian and there is plenty of great French and other international examples.

Some of the cheese served in the best places is not pasteurized.

Anyway back to mozzarella (but did not watch the video), by law they cannot mix the milk 50/50 if they have the DOP certification. I would not be surprised to hear of dodgy practices but I would not think that all the cheese that get in US is 50/50. The main problem is the refrigeration e transportation. Mozzarella should be eaten fresh at room temperature. I had mozzarella just off the plane at Il Pizzaiolo (and once at UPN from the old supplier) and it tasted exactly as it should have. Fior di latte is made by cow milk only. There are producer outside the DOP designation that make great mozzarella mixing some cow milk in.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 03:51:27 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 07:53:49 AM »
pizzanapoletana,
I wish we would have had time to meet with you. However, my time in London was dedicated to working the Online show which lasted all day. Then we had planned dinners with clients every night at some of the more fashionable restaurants in London. Gary Rhodes and Gordon Ramsey were two of the celebrity chefs who disappointed me a great deal. The value of the dollar was the greatest disappointment though.

The time I spent in Paris, on the other hand, was mine and it was nothing short of stupendous. I managed to check one more box on my "Bucket List." While I was enjoying one spectacular meal after another in Paris I remembered how my great Grandmother use to tell us the history of an Italian Princess who married a French noble. She had to bring her chefs over to France because the food was inedible. I guess her chefs taught the French how to cook pretty good because it was the best food I have ever eaten.

Next year I will be in Italy instead of France. Attached are a few pictures of our journey.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com