Author Topic: Donatos Pizza Recipe  (Read 33689 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Donatos Pizza Recipe
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 11:05:11 AM »
November,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. As it so happens, I did recently notice all of the Donatos pizzas covered at the Nutrition Data website. However, at the time, I was looking for information on the Home Run Inn pizzas whose dough formulation some of us are trying to reverse engineer on another thread. So, I didnít look into the Donatos pizzas to see if there was anything of value there to help reverse engineer the Donatos dough.

In the case of the Donatos dough as it existed a couple of years ago, member Wazatron was able to get the ingredients list for that dough. After stripping away a lot of the chemical additives, we were left with enough information to come up with a clone dough to work with (with our efforts being detailed at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2711.msg23368.html#msg23368). Wazatron and I (but mostly Wazatron) took a stab at making Donatos clones. With perseverance, Wazatron has been able to make some very good Donatos clone pizzas. However, I wouldnít be the least bit surprised if the dough formulation has changed since we started with the early dough formulation. The Grote family, which bought back the Donatos pizza business from McDonaldís, who werenít able to run the business to their satisfaction, no doubt have changed a lot of things in order to get the business back on a growth trajectory. Those changes might well show up by looking at the nutrition data for the No Dough pizzas you mentioned. I donít know if Wazatron wants to migrate to another clone at this point, but that will be up to him. Often it turns out that the best products were the early ones, not the later ones that are produced mainly with profits in mind.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 01:12:13 PM »
Following up on my last post, I took a look at the Donatos NoDough nutritional information at the Donatos website at http://www.donatos.com/menu/nutritional_information.asp. When some of the numbers didnít seem to add up, I did some further research on the NoDough pizzas. From what I found in a forum in which a poster was concerned about the gluten content of the pizzas, as well as cross contamination issues, it appears that the NoDough pizzas have a soy base. To address the poster's concerns, Donatos provided the following information (as well as additional information that might be useful in replicating the Donatos sauce):

The Soy base in our NoDough pizzas do not contain any gluten, however, they will not be baked in separate ovens from those used to bake our Original Thin and Traditional crusts. That being stated, depending on the severity of the sensitivity to gluten we cannot guarantee that there would be an absolute prevention of cross contamination and unfortunately would suggest that individuals with high sensitivity to gluten not take any unnecessary risks.

Soy Protein Crisp (Low fat IP Soy Flour, rice pieces, sunflower oil, sea salt)
Thin Pizza Sauce (Tomato paste, water, sugar, salt, citric acid, xanthan gum, aquaresin paprika, basil, ground basil.)
Traditional Pizza Sauce (Tomato puree (tomato paste, water), salt, sugar, garlic powder, citric acid, black pepper, basil, oregano, Xanthan gum, basil leaf.)
Shredded Provolone Cheese (Pasteurized reduced fat milk, cheese culture, salt, powdered cellulose, natural smoke flavoring, enzymes (microbial derived rennet, lipase))
Donatos Sliced Pepperoni (Pork, beef, salt, spices, dextrose, lactic acid starter culture, oleoresin of Paprika, flavorings, sodium nitrite, BHA, BHT, Citric acid)

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 08:04:10 PM »
Waz,

For your information, I recently sent an email to Donatos requesting the latest ingredients list for their thin crust pizzas. I received back a reply including a couple of documents listing the ingredients for just about all of their products and a list of things they use in their products for which people have allergies or sensitivities. Interestingly, the ingredients for the dough for the thin crust pizzas and for the pizza sauce have not changed from what you received from them some time ago, when you started your quest to produce a Donatos clone. So, unless Donatos is sending out product information that no longer applies to what they are doing, the milk and eggs, in whatever form, are still being used in the dough for the Donatos thin crust pizzas.

Peter

Offline laider

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 12:48:33 AM »
Hey Waz,

I'm new to this forum but have read everything in a couple of the threads regarding making the Donatos type clone.  I'm also from Ohio and now live in Fort Collins, just north of you!  My wife and I are from the Dayton Ohio area and terribly miss that thin style pizza.  I've eaten alot of Donatos, Cassanos, Marions and a Dayton local Ron's Pizza.  We love it and miss it.  I too have been playing around with different crusts but this weekend tried your recipe.  My attempt definitely needs some additional work but it was quite tasty and in the ballpark.  I'll continue to try some different ideas but am encouraged by all your efforts ( and others here).  I could only find aged sharp provolone and cooked them on a screen, I don't have the perforated pizza disk but plan on getting a couple.  My dough handled actually very nice, rolled out nicely with no transparent areas but stayed a little too thin.  The bottom was nice and brown and I guess I got lucky but I did get the crispy edges.  I'm going to try again soon.  Thanks for all your great information.  I took a couple of pics with my cell phone ( my daughter has my camera) and if they look decent I'll post them.

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 12:27:14 PM »
Hi Laider - thanks for the post! It's good to hear that others are enjoying the work here! I'd love to see the pictures you have if they came out. And good timing - I actually made some pizza last night and was going to post the results here today.

Usually I pull the dough from the fridge an hour or two before I roll it out. It's generally still a bit cold, but I never thought much about it (and have very little pizza-making experience with other styles too). Yesterday I knew I'd only have 24 hours to let the dough rise so the first thing in the morning I pulled the dough out of the refrigerator and let it sit out all day. By the time I made the pizza (about 12 hours later) the dough was MUCH easier to roll out, and I was able to get a more even thickness than ever before, with less wasted dough cut off from the ring. I was very surprised at this, and actually now feel pretty silly that after all this time I've never tried an extended room-temp rest/rise before rolling. I think I'm going to keep this up from now on.

Thanks again laider, and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!

Offline laider

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 11:31:37 PM »
here's a poor quality pic

Offline KettleKooked

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 10:16:31 PM »
Wazatron,
I have been leaching off this site as a pizza making newbie for a while and you have moved me to make my first post.  I do not have a Donatos in my county.  I drive a lot in my job, and I knew the location of every store in Ohio.  My lunch times were scheduled around potential Donatos locations.  There is no pizza like Donato's pizza.  My whole family is nuts about the stuff, and my oldest son will take a date for a 40 mile drive to get Donatos pizza if she says she has never had it.

When McDonalds purchased them a while back, there was a marked difference in quality, but I understand the Grote family has repurchased the chain and the pizza is better again.  I have tried and tried to replicate this one of kind crust and cannot wait to try your recipe.  Your pics and pizza look great. 
I went to school in Ft. Collins but couldn't have lived there for the lack of Donatos.  Perhaps you have freed me to move to the mountains. LOL

I'll have to look for some of the ingredients, but will post my results as soon as I can get the stuff together.  I hope it's as good as it looks.

Offline BTB

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 09:07:11 PM »
Several weeks ago after receiving the dairy whey and baker's non-fat dry milk from Bob's Red Mill, I proceeded to put together a Donatos Clone pizza somewhat along the lines mentioned in this thread.  I made a 14" pizza using my trusty old dark, anodized non-perforated cutter pan from pizzatools.com and using Harvest King flour.  The formulation using the expanded dough calculation tool was as follows:

Flour (100%):  270.56 g  |  9.54 oz | 0.6 lbs
Water (46%):  124.46 g  |  4.39 oz | 0.27 lbs
ADY (.65%):  1.76 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.47 tsp | 0.16 tbsp
Salt (1.5%):  4.06 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (3.5%):  9.47 g | 0.33 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.09 tsp | 0.7 tbsp
Sugar (1%):  2.71 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.68 tsp | 0.23 tbsp
Sweet Dried Dairy Whey (1.5%):  4.06 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.34 tsp | 0.45 tbsp
Baker's Non-Fat Dry Milk (1.7%):  4.6 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.18 tsp | 0.39 tbsp
Eggs, large (10.8%):  29.22 g | 1.03 oz | 0.06 lbs | 5.77 tsp | 1.92 tbsp
Total (166.65%): 450.89 g | 15.9 oz | 0.99 lbs | TF = 0.09

I put a 15" size in the calculation tool for a 14" pizza so I didn't need to provide for any bowl residue.  I mixed the dough with a wooden spoon as well as by hand, let it rise on the counter for a few hours, then placed the dough ball in a ziplock bag and into the refrigerator for around 26 hours.  Afterwards, I took it out and let it get to room temperature for about 2 hours, then rolled it out on a floured counter.  The dough was very sticky and I had to throw some more flour on it to roll it onto the rolling pin and attempted to thereafter rolled it out onto the lightly greased cutter pan.  The dough stucked together so badly that I had to take it off of the rolling pin and re-roll the dough back out to an approximate 14" size to fit into the cutter pan.  I just then picked the rolled up dough and placed it onto the cutter pan (first picture below) fitting it into the pan as best I could, then docked it and pre-baked it for about 4 minutes (second picture below) at 450 degrees F (bottom rack)  I wasn't certain if the pre-baking of the skin was part of Wazatron's process, though. 

Offline BTB

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 09:09:03 PM »
After par-baking, I let it rest for about 15 minutes then put some doctored-up 6 in 1 sauce onto the skin (picture below), then dressed it with sausage and cheese (second picture below) and it was ready for the oven.

Offline BTB

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 09:16:18 PM »
I baked the pizza on the bottom rack at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes (turning the pizza 180 degrees midway through that time).  The first picture below shows the baked pizza in the cutter pan and the second pizza shows the pizza cut up ready for devouring.  This was my first attempt at this style pizza as I was curious as to how it would taste. 

There were some pluses and minuses:  The minuses were (1) the difficulty in rolling out and getting the skin into (or onto) the cutter pan (dough was very sticky), and (2) difficulty in getting the pizza to crisp up.  I probably should have used more flour when I first mixed the dough ball.  I sensed it was sticky, so next time I will add more flour.  But getting it crispy in the way that I generally like my thin crust pizzas seems to be a challenge.  I had checked the bottom of the skin before taking it out, but for fear of burning the toppings, I took the pizza out after 15 minutes.  I've used this cutter pan many times before to make crispy thin crust pizzas and this was the first time that I could not get a thin crust pizza to crisp up.  By crispy I don't mean a cracker crust.  The baked dough was relatively soft throughout.  Is it the dairy whey and/or the baker's non-fat dry milk?  I don't know.  Maybe I should have par-bake the skin even longer.  Again, I wasn't sure if Wazatron par-baked the skin at all. 

The major plus on the other hand was . . . despite the lack of crispness that I like, the pizza was very tasty.  I enjoyed the taste and texture of it very much and even enjoyed several leftover pieces just as well a couple days later.  I'll just have to play around with some of the variables the next time I try out this style, but I think others may find this pizza interesting as well as delicious.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 10:22:49 PM »
BTB,

My recollection is that Wazatron has been using a perforated anodized disk that is oiled. Also, the rolled out skin is allowed to proof in a humidified environment. There is no pre-baking of the skin. Cornmeal is also used on the skin.

It will be more of a challenge to get a high degree of crispiness with the Donatos type of crust, although the bottom of the crust should be crispy and the edges should be very crispy. The use of the dried dairy whey and the baker's dried milk powder, along with the egg, will produce a degree of softness and tenderness in the finished crust that will work against getting a high degree of crispiness throughout the entire crust. Also, because the egg includes about 76% water, the actual hydration of the dough is closer to 54% when the water content of the egg is added to the formula water. Moreover, the fat included in the egg will increase the total fat in the dough formulation to around 4.6%. Under these circumstances, some experimentation may be required to use a standard nonperforated cutter pan with the Donatos clone dough formulation.

Another point to keep in mind is that Wazatron is in Colorado, at a fairly high elevation. It's possible that some modification may be needed to use the dough formulation at lower elevation.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:14:29 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 09:05:07 AM »
Hey there BTB - very cool to see your pictures! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and you ran into some of the biggest challenges too.

Pete is right I don't par-bake the crust at all. It it gets rolled out, hydrated for 30 minutes, and then left out on the counter to rest/dry for an hour or so before I bake it.

Also the dough can easily get very, very stick - I've gotten very careful about getting it too wet when mixing it up, and even cut down the water a bit in the last recipe. It's easy to add tiny amounts of water to get the tough to come together than add flour and mess more with the recipe. When you do get the tough together so that it's not too sticky it's not bad to work with. I still do use a lot of bench flour to roll it out but never have any problems in working with it or getting it on to the disc. I'd definitely try cutting the water back a bit and then just adding small amounts to bring it together. But in general, no, the dough shouldn't be as sticky and hard to work with as you describe.

And then browning is tough as well. I know for a fact that Donatos uses conveyor ovens and that it cooks for about 7 minutes. The edges get really brown and crisp too, which has been hard for me to get consistently. Another reason for the short time is so that the cheese and toppings don't overcook. One thing Pete suggested (which I haven't gotten to try yet) is to bake on the lowest rack for 7 minutes and then put it under the broiler for a minute or two to help browning. Another thing I'm going to play around with is putting in my pizza stone on a shelf just above the pizza (after pre-heating it for a good hour) to see how that might help the top browning.

So yeah, in general, the crust is supposed to have different textures  - the bottom should be brown and crisp there should be an english-muffin type middle layer (though still thin) and the top should be moist and spongy. This has been a tough pizza to nail but more people are trying it out now which is helping and is fun to see how they come out!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:46:30 AM by Wazatron »

Offline kvedderman

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 02:55:23 PM »
I found a take and bake donato's pizza last night at fry's supermarket(owned by Kroger)..With this purchase I have found that the shake is Ramona cheese( using sheeps milk),Oregano, and powered cellulose(anti caking agent)..
The ingredients of the pizza dough appear in different order than the one you guys received...Eggs are down the list..

enriched bleach flour(wheat)
water
yeast
whole egg
soy oil
maltodextrin
non fat dry milk
salt
sugar
modified food starch
sodium metabisulfite
coated with corn meal, soy oil, butter...

The crust was a bit different (not much)...
directions were 460 for 10-14 minutes...10 minutes and things were darkening quickly...

Tried measuring the crust, looked like 5/16" prebaked..Total weight of everything was 26.24 oz
Served with one of mine and our guest liked mine better..I liked the donato's more...
From Columbus Ohio and going back for Mothers Day..Donato"s is in my future...

Offline Link

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 10:34:06 AM »
I live in Mout Vernon, Ohio, my wife and I eat at Donoto's frequently. I tried the Donato's the take and bake from Krogers, its not nearly as good as the real thing. I dont know if the ingedients are different, or my oven just doesnt bake it properly, but the real thing is much, much better, IMHO.

Link
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:37:01 AM by Link »

Offline cul8rv8

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 06:52:50 PM »
Hi all, new to the site, originally from central Ohio, been living in Vegas for 6 years.  I always have to hit Donato's (along with White Castle, Skyline, Steak & Shake) when I make it back to visit, but I was wanting to try and make Donato's at home, so I came across this site and this thread.

I have a quick question, though.  In the original post, the clone sauce calls for Basil.  Is this dried basil, or fresh basil?  I have fresh basil in my herb garden, so I usually prefer to use that, but I also have dried basil in the cupboard for recipes that call for dried.  In this case, I am looking to try and be as close to the real deal as possible.
~ Jeff S.

Offline LadyGreen

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
Hello! I've been learning from these threads about Donatos for a while now. Just last week finally gave it a try! I grew up in OH, and now live in KS. I miss Donatos! Haven't had it for probably 10 years!

My first try was pretty good! The crust wasn't quite right. I tripled the recipe because I was using two larger pans (16 inch?) I made the two pizzas, as well as a smaller cheese pizza for 'bread sticks'. It seemed too thick, and didn't seem as oily/golden as the picture I see on here. I'll be trying again soon! I have a lot of relatives waiting on me to get it down, so I can pass it on!

I also took some time to sit down and make the recipe 'user friendly' to me. Meaning- translated into common kitchen measurements. :) It's probably not exact as yours, but pretty close. I'm a very experienced bread maker. It's something I enjoy and excel at (even without a professional scale)  :)

Offline Shel659

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »

I LOVE DONATOS!!  I Just posted about it in the I'm new forum.  I'm born and raised in Columbus OH, so of course I have Donatos once a month?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »
To whoever has commented on this thread and still wants to know more about how to clone Donatos:

After attempting several Donatos clones a couple months ago, I have come very close. (Close enough that when I made one for someone who works at the YMCA, she said it smelled like Donatos as soon as I walked into her office; that is, before she saw it and before I said what it was.) My first try (a few years ago) was based largely on Wazatron's formula, I think, but also based on what I know from having worked at Donatos. The part of most formulas I've seen that's really off the mark is the hydration percentage. Donatos dough is much stiffer than the dough I've seen on these Donatos threads.

It's getting late, so I'm not gonna share anywhere near the amount of info I would like to share, but here's my most recent dough formula:

100% Superlative flour (bread flour)
37% Water
0.5% IDY
1.5% Salt
4% Oil
1.5% Nonfat dry milk
11% Egg
1% Sugar

The dough formula is an important part of getting it right, but dough management is even more important. Dough management also requires a lot more words, which I'm not going to type tonight. I probably won't reply again unless someone asks me to reply with the dough management stuff. (Not because I want to be a jerk, but because I may forget and this thread will likely be out of sight within a week or two.)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2014, 11:41:07 PM »
 ryan, i am a fan of your clone. please reply and include sauce updates if you have one.thanks, larry

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 10:55:41 AM »
The first thing I want to say is that I haven't included sweet dried dairy whey in my dough yet. I haven't chosen not to use it; rather, I just don't know if that's an ingredient I can easily get. Also, I guess I forgot that I omitted two ingredients when I first tried to do Donatos style a few years ago (sweet dried dairy whey and nonfat dry milk); one of which I have since added to my Donatos clone dough. So I guess whenever I get my hands on some sweet dried dairy whey, I'll add about 1.5% of it and see what kind of difference that makes.

Also, neither my current dough formula nor my current dough management system is anywhere near written in stone. I expect to make lots of little tweaks if I ever make more pizzas of this style, but I think Wazatron left us with a very good foundation for Donatos clone dough. Excluding the fact that I haven't tried sweet dried dairy whey, I think the only thing I've really changed much from Wazatron's dough formula is the hydration percentage (which I decreased considerably, as I knew right away that Wazatron's hydration figure was significantly higher than the hydration of real Donatos dough).

I'm gonna try to put together some dough management info now. I probably will not post this information for many hours, though, as it'll take a while for me to draft and I'll also be out of the house for a while today.