Author Topic: What is wrong with this pizza  (Read 2036 times)

Offline northway

What is wrong with this pizza
« on: January 04, 2008, 10:11:23 PM »
 :-\
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:14:15 PM by northway »

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Re: What is wrong with this pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:02:08 PM »
Doesn't look too bad.  the rim maybe a bit bready but i can't really tell cuz the pic looks a little over exposed on my monitor and I can't see the texture of it.  Care to post your recipe?
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline northway

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 05:48:30 PM »
I really donít have a recipe I start with 2 cups flour from the local mill.
Here in North Dakota there is an abundance of wheat, winter and spring,
The Kids eat this one up like its going out of style , 2 cups Spring Wheat 1-tsp yeast, water until its tacky but not sticky, knead until gluten show itself,  let it rise, form the pie then bake about 10 min on top shelf,

I do add malted barley which we do our-self as there is an abundance of barley; never have been taught the proper way. But,

I wet the seed, Barley, or Wheat the chaff will float scoop it out, then let it sprout about the length of the seed heat to about 100 degrees until dry then grind.

This I add ľ teaspoon to each cup of white spring wheat or red.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:35:08 PM »
northway,

Are you using any salt in your dough?

The way that I made diastatic malt, but using wheat instead of barley, was as described in this article: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/food/sourdough/faq/section-10.html. It looks like you are using about the right amount of malt for your flour. I spoke to a couple of suppliers of diastatic malt and concluded that the percent to use is about 0.33-0.66%. I estimate that 1/4 t. is at the low end of that range.

One thing you might try is to use less yeast (about 1/3 t. of IDY) and cold ferment the dough in the refrigerator for about 2 days. When ready to use, let it warm up for about a couple of hours (I assume it is cold in North Dakota this time of year), shape and stretch it, dress it, and bake it. I think you will get more flavors of fermentation than you are now getting with a short room temperature fermentation. As an alternative, you could reduce the amount of yeast even further and let the dough ferment at room temperature for several hours longer (I would shoot for about 8 hours) than you are now doing.

Peter

Offline northway

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 07:00:07 PM »
Peter

I have let dough set for a couple of days and did like to results,
But for the most taste I omit the yeast and use starter,
This stuff has been going for awhile.
As far as the salt, I never have used the stuff except for the salt biscuits

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 01:50:35 AM »
From the fist pic I could tell it was a fresh dough, no cold ferment dough. The rim is the tell tale sign, very smooth and bread like looking. I made one the other day because I was hungry for pizza, and, well I should have just ordered one from my favorite local pizza shop. I'm not a fan of quick doughs. I much prefer the 5-7 day, cold ferment daough and up to 11 day old dough if I can hold out that long. Pizza looks great, nothing wrong with it. I just know how much more flavor can be had if you wait it out.  ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline northway

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 01:38:50 PM »
We started making pizzas to keep from having to order from our favorite junk food pizza joint, in the process we found we can make it better. As-well as the nearest pizza joint is an hour and a half away, so slapíen pizza crust together with quality fix-ns for the family only makes since, satisfaction doesnít come from frozen  pizza never has and never will, and 150 mile roundtrip for a pizza,  just doesnít make since on a weekly winter ride. Here is the kids saturday pizza.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:11:23 PM by northway »