Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 85165 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2013, 08:15:02 PM »
Speaking of "funny bone", the title of this thread is hilarious/ironic.

"Success" and "final formulation"?   Ummm....not so fast!   :-D

Garvey,

Five years ago, none of us had a good idea as to how to reverse engineer and clone pizzas of third parties. Also, back then, the information wasn't as good as it now is, quantitatively or qualitatively. I went back into my folder on the HRI project and saw that there were Nutrition Facts back in 2008 but I found little analysis or evidence of depth of understanding of that information. The best we were able to do was to conclude that there was a lot of oil in the HRI dough, more than we originally thought. Also, back then, HRI was not selling their frozen pizza into Texas so that I could at least have analyzed them as I did recently. It has taken HRI several years to penetrate Texas. Maybe others closer to the action could have helped more at the time, but these projects tend to be fairly lonely pursuits with few volunteers.

Peter

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #361 on: March 13, 2013, 08:22:29 PM »
I think we're agreeing here.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #362 on: March 14, 2013, 09:21:15 AM »
I decided to mix an attempt at an HRI dough this morning, because I was curious to see what happens.  I used the expanded dough calculation tool to figure out the formulation and used PeterĎs recommended amounts to try for the corn oil and water at Reply 353 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg242888.html#msg242888  I used my motherís instructions for mixing her pie crust dough.  The flour, salt, and IDY were sifted in my motherís sifter that she gave me.  The HRI attempted dough mixed well.  The final dough temperature was 74.3 degrees F.  I scaled the dough ball down to 489 grams.  I tasted the attempted HRI dough and it does taste like pie dough to me.  The dough was finished mixing at 8:41 AM. 

These are pictures of the process so far.

I think I am going to try cheese, sauce and pepperoni on this HRI attempt.

I am not sure what temperature to use to try and pre-bake the crust if I want to try something like what HRI does in its dough making facilities.  From the post of Peterís at 348 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg242823.html#msg242823  it seems like the yeast is not really killed with using a dough press if the formed dough can be fermented 10-15 minutes more after it comes out of the hot dough presses.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #363 on: March 14, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »
Norma,

What size pizza are you planning to make?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #364 on: March 14, 2013, 09:57:04 AM »
Norma,

What size pizza are you planning to make?

Peter

Peter,

I entered the desired pizza size at 13" in the expanded dough calculation tool for a 12" pizza.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #365 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »
I entered the desired pizza size at 13" in the expanded dough calculation tool for a 12" pizza.
Norma,

That is what I thought you did.

I suggest that you use a total of 15 ounces of dough, or a bit over 425 grams. You will want to stretch or roll the dough out to around 13" and flute the edges to form a rim. At that point, the total diameter is likely to be close to 12". The baked pizza should be close to 11.5".

As for the pre-bake temperature, I would use something around 475 degrees F, and bake the skin until it starts to turn a light brown. If underbaked at this point, the final crust might be too soft; if overbaked, it might be too hard and too dark. These are judgment calls that are necessitated by the fact that not all ovens bake the same.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: March 14, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »
Norma,

That is what I thought you did.

I suggest that you use a total of 15 ounces of dough, or a bit over 425 grams. You will want to stretch or roll the dough out to around 13" and flute the edges to form a rim. At that point, the total diameter is likely to be close to 12". The baked pizza should be close to 11.5".

As for the pre-bake temperature, I would use something around 475 degrees F, and bake the skin until it starts to turn a light brown. If underbaked at this point, the final crust might be too soft; if overbaked, it might be too hard and too dark. These are judgment calls that are necessitated by the fact that not all ovens bake the same.

Peter

Peter,

Also to let you know more, I entered a bowl residue compensation of 3.0%.  I will scale back the dough ball to 15 ounces.  I will stretch, or roll out the dough to around 13Ē and flute the edges to form a rim.

Thanks for telling me to use a temperature of about 475 degrees and bake the skin until it starts to turn a light brown. 

Thanks again for your help!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #367 on: March 14, 2013, 10:48:12 AM »
I took the dough ball out of the plastic container and scaled the dough ball back to 425 grams, or 15 oz. on my scale and gently reballed.  The dough sure looked weird.  :-D Maybe I didnít mix the dough enough, but I didnít want to over mix the dough.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #368 on: March 14, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »
I think you did good with "Dough Brain" Norma....I would be hesitant to mix it very much too.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline adletson

« Reply #369 on: March 14, 2013, 10:56:11 AM »
How much oil did you end up using in this dough?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #370 on: March 14, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »
I think you did good with "Dough Brain" Norma....I would be hesitant to mix it very much too.  :chef:

Bob,

I thought the dough almost looked like a brain too.   :-D  I wondered what might happen if the dough was mixed too much, so that is why I didn't mix a lot.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #371 on: March 14, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »
How much oil did you end up using in this dough?

adletson,

I used 57.42 grams of corn oil in the dough. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #372 on: March 14, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »
I had to run a few errands and had saved the leftover part of the dough I had scaled back earlier.  I decided to test the leftover part of the dough to see how it baked and then tasted.  I sure donít know what a real HRI crust tastes like, but I think this crust was very good.  It can be seen there are some flaky areas and the crust did taste somewhat like a pie crust.  I didnít bother to try to figure out how thick I should have rolled the extra dough out.  The dough did ferment a lot since earlier this morning.

Now, the test will be to see what happens with the regular dough ball.

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #373 on: March 14, 2013, 01:58:53 PM »
Norma, that is looking very promising!  Of course it's hard to tell without seeing and tasting it in person, but it appears as though you've got layers there!!!   :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #374 on: March 14, 2013, 02:04:58 PM »
Of course it's hard to tell without seeing and tasting it in person, but it appears as though you've got layers there!!!   :chef:

CDNpielover,

It appeared to me that there were layers too.  See how the whole pizza works out. 

Norma

Offline adletson

« Reply #375 on: March 14, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »
Man that's a lot of fat in a dough!  It really is like a pie dough.  I've never had an HRI pizza, but it seems like it would be really rich when topped with cheese.  Does it eat as rich as it sounds?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #376 on: March 14, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
Man that's a lot of fat in a dough!  It really is like a pie dough.  I've never had an HRI pizza, but it seems like it would be really rich when topped with cheese.  Does it eat as rich as it sounds?
You better believe it buddy.... ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #377 on: March 14, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »
This is what happened on my next attempt on a HRI pizza.  All didnít go well.  :-D

I put the dough ball between pieces of cut wax paper like my mother does when she rolls out her pie crust recipe.  I rolled until the skin was 13Ē, then docked the dough.  The dough was easy to roll out.  I kept the wax paper on the dough and set it beside my oven that was turned on and let the dough proof, or temper for 20 minutes (I put the waxed papered dough on the disk, so as not to try and disturb it when I was moving it).  I didnít let the skin temper in the small dough ball bake test.  It can be seen after the temper time how much the dough rose on the one photo.  When I went to remove the skin from between the wax papers the dough wanted to stick some and then I had a problem trying to move the skin to the disk.  I think when I try this again, I wonít keep the skin in between the wax papers when trying to proof, or temper the skin. The skin then wanted to fold over some when moving it, so I know my TF wasnít right.  I also saw then there might be a sticking problem on the disk while I tried to arrange the skin on the disk the best I could.  I tried to flute the edges of the skin the best I could at about one 1 inch so the finished skin would be 12Ē.  The edges did stay up while being fluted.

The dressings weights I used were 4.5 ounces of the Classico sauce I used last week, 10 ounces of the Guernseyís LMPS mozzarella and 14 slices of my regular pepperoni which weighed 1.2 ounces.

The skin was pre-baked for 15 minutes.  I then removed the pre-baked skin from the oven still on the disk and dressed it.  I saw then that some dough has gotten caught in the holes of the disk but didnít want to try and move the pre-baked skin at that point. 

When I tried to remove the pizza off of the disk there was a sticking issue, and the one end part of the pizza split.

There looked like there were some layers, but not enough in the crust in my opinion.  The edge rims were flaky though and the pizza did taste good in my opinion.  The bottom crust did brown okay this time.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:54:54 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #378 on: March 14, 2013, 04:53:31 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #379 on: March 14, 2013, 05:00:13 PM »
Norma