Author Topic: why is my dough so lumpy?  (Read 3634 times)

Offline pnj

why is my dough so lumpy?
« on: January 19, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »
Here is the recipe. it's from The Bakers Aprentice book.

20.2 ounces flour
1 teaspoon active yeast
1/8 cup of vegetable oil ( I didn't have olive..)
1 3/4 cups ice cold water
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons of sugar (I added this because I want a brownish crust, it's not in the recipe in the book)

I kneeded by hand for six or seven minutes. I had to add flour (maybe 1/4-1/2 cup) because the dough was VERY wet. the dough ball is lumpy. I know it will become unlumpy once it sits overnight,as they tend to do this in my past experiences.
but why is it lumpy now? is it because of my poor hand kneeding?  I used both my hands and smashed it around and folded and folded and folded as much/best I could.

it is still pretty moist, no way I could get a window pane with this.

thoughts/suggestions?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: why is my dough so lumpy?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »
pnj,

I estimate that you made around 36 ounces of dough, with a hydration of around 70%. That is a fairly wet dough, so it is not surprising that you found the dough to be wet and had to add more flour. Kneading a dough batch of over two pounds is not an easy task, and even more so if the flour is a high-gluten flour (I note that you didn't indicate what flour you actually used). Under the circumstances, it is quite easy to end up with a lumpy dough. I believe the problem is more one of not properly and completely hydrating the flour. One way to improve the situation (i.e., improve the hydration of the flour) is to sift the flour and gradually add it to the water while you are mixing it it into the water. The ADY has to be hydrated in warm water (around 105 degrees F) for about ten minutes, but the salt and sugar can be added to the water and dissolved into it. The rehydrated ADY can be added to the water mixture so long as the flour is promptly added to the water mixture. If you let the dough rest for a few minutes here and there during the kneading process, that will also improve the hydration of the flour, and especially so if you are using high gluten flour. As for the oil, I normally add that last, even when hand kneading, although it is also quite common to add it to the water mixture.

I would not attempt using the windowpane test at the end of your hand kneading. That is more appropriate to bread dough than pizza dough. With proper fermentation, the dough will in due time (after a reasonable period of fermentation) pass the windowpane test, even though it might not when first made. With pizza dough, you want it to be slightly underkneaded (yet smooth).

Peter

Offline pnj

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:44:28 PM »
I am using King Arther bread flour, I think..
I store it in a plastic container so I no longer have the packaging, but I tend to buy KA when buying flour.

I ended up kneeding the dough for another five or so minutes and adding flour as I did. I probably added another 1/2 cup so it dough wasn't so sticky.

We'll see how she cooks up tonight...

Offline pnj

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:47:55 PM »
Hmm... I never hydrate my yeast..:)

The yeast I'm using is Flechmans bread yeast. (Great for bread machines!, it says:)) It's the same kind I allways use, seems to work fine..

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 02:03:44 PM »
pnj,

If you are using instant dry yeast there is no need to rehydrate it. It can be added directly to the flour. However, the recipe you recited calls for active dry yeast, which you want to rehydrate if you use it.

Peter

Offline pnj

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 03:33:14 PM »
How much difference would there be by just switching out the two different types of yeast?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »
How much difference would there be by just switching out the two different types of yeast?

pnj,

In terms of the amount of yeast to use from a conversion standpoint, you'll find the answer here: http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm. If your question is what happens if you simply substitute one teaspoon of IDY for one teaspoon of ADY, with all else equal, the main difference is that you will get a faster fermentation with the teaspoon of IDY. The dough batch weight will also go down by about 3/100 ounce.

Peter