Author Topic: NAPICS, worth going to?  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Link

NAPICS, worth going to?
« on: January 29, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »
NAPICS, worth going to? Whats it like, are there samples of products?
Do they care if average Joe goes whos not an owner/operator?

Link

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
Re: NAPICS, worth going to?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:02:55 PM »
Link,

Absolutely go. It's a good experience to see all the equipment used in a pizzeria, and see where the big guys buy their ingredients. They even have a few vendors that sell things like pizza peels, aprons, screens, pans, pizza cutters, etc. Go rub elbows with Tom Lehman the dough doc., watch the pizza champions and more.

My wife and I went for the first time last year. We really enjoyed it. The only thing we didn't enjoy was the energy drink booth. The booth babes were cute, but the drinks stunk.

We preregistered as ourselves. No company name. So you should not have any problems.

Also go with an empty stomach. You will be able to sample so much food because the show is so short and the vender's do not want to take anything home. So enjoy.
Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:15:36 PM »
Link,

Let me retract one comment. I'm not sure if Tom Lehmann will be there. He was there last year. A nice very approachable guy. Hopefully he will be.

Tim

Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline stymie

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 08:57:02 PM »
I went today. "Big" Dave Ostrander, Tom Lehmann, and Jeff Zeak are in the test kitchen.
They handed out recipes of what they were going to make. Jeff made a NY thin crust dough with the following percents.
Organic High Gluten Flour 100%
(13%-13.5% Protein)
Water (50-52F variable) 58%
Salt 1.9%
Yeast (IDY) 0.5%
Sugar (optional) 2%
*Oil 3%
(*90% vegetable + 10% Olive Oil)
Add water and all dry ingredients, mix at low for 2 minutes.
Add oil, mix 1-2 more minutes at low, then 5-7 minutes at medium or until dough test done (dough ball/skin test).
Scale: 397 grams (14 oz.) for 14" Thin, 312 grams (11 oz.) for 12" thin

First time going and it's a pretty cool show. All the guys are very approachable and will answer anything you ask. Like Tim said, go on an empty stomach. There is nothing but food samples everywhere.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 09:17:19 PM »
For comparison purposes, the NY style dough recipe used at the NAPICS 2007 (Feb.) event can be seen at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4800.msg40779.html#msg40779. When I tried the recipe, I left out the sugar (optional, 1%) since I was planning to use the dough within two days. The crust was thinner than this year's version.

Peter