Author Topic: whole wheat pizza joy  (Read 4345 times)

stock

whole wheat pizza joy
« on: October 27, 2004, 06:11:46 PM »
liking whole wheat bread as much as i do, and finding that king arthur's whole wheat flour was on sale, i decided to try my hand at a whole wheat pizza.  though the notes in Tom Lehmann's recipe on PMQ (http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/pizzacookbook/recipe.cgi?action=view_recipe&id=132&recipe=Whole+Wheat+Pizza+Crust&category=Pizza+Dough)  made me a bit apprehensive about the outcome, i ended up enjoying the pizza quite a bit.  out of curiosity, has anyone else (in here, i mean--not in the entire world) tried a whole wheat pizza?  if so, what did you think?  

the only down side of the pizza, for me, was the sauce that i used; it was a can of 'mr. clem's pizza sauce' that i had been saving for quite some time, and i was tired of the big chef's hat on the can that greeted me every time i went to the pizza-ingredient storage area.  i have to admit, i found the taste of it to be not all together tasty.  oh well. :)
-scott

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re:whole wheat pizza joy
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 12:38:34 PM »
Scott,

I have made whole-wheat pizza doughs several times in the past, and have found them to be an acquired taste.  The value of the whole-wheat flour is in having a much higher nutritional value than highly refined white flours.  They retain the bran, wheat germ, fiber and vitamins (especially Vitamin E) and are metabolized more slowly than the white flours, resulting in a better glucose profile (a concern of diabetics).  This makes whole-wheat doughs a good choice for those on high-protein, low-carb diets or those with diabetes.  The main problem is getting used to the taste, finding tasty toppings that are compatible with the earthy flavor of the whole-wheat crust, and you are unlikely to get any kids to eat them.  

I recently attended a 2-hour baking class on artisan breads that was put on by King Arthur in the Dallas area, and the fellow who conducted the class said that whenever he makes cookies using the KA whole-wheat flour (which is made from hard red winter wheat), his kids won't touch them.  When KA came up with a hard white winter wheat version, with the same nutritional value but much whiter in color, his kids couldn't tell the difference from the cookies made with white flour and snapped them up.  I don't know which whole-wheat flour you are using, but you can get a good feel for the differences between the two versions at the KA website, at http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/htmlos.cgi/90111.2.1096648561517600069.

The whole-wheat recipe I used was the one used by Wolfgang Puck.  It is all over the internet, but if you are interested, I would be happy to post it for you.  

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:whole wheat pizza joy
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 01:00:18 PM »
I use to love whole wheat pizza, but it has been a long time since I've had one.  Guess I'll make one one day.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: whole wheat pizza joy
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:35:03 AM »
I noticed an unworkable link in the opening post in this thread. I believe that the correct link is this one: http://www.pmq.com/recipe/view_recipe.php?id=132.

Peter

pizzapan