Author Topic: Last night's dough w/tricked oven  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Last night's dough w/tricked oven
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:14:27 PM »
I was reading some of the attempts of members on here about how to get their home ovens up to a higher temperature. Well, since I rent, I can't modify the lock for the cleaning cycle a la Varasano. And burning my house down is not an option, either  8).

But I liked the idea Grog had, tricking the temperature gauge into believing that the temp had dropped, hence ending up with a hotter oven. So I thought I'd give it a shot. And boy, did it get hot! I took a 100% cotton kitchen towel, soaked it with water, wrapped it around a wooden spoon, wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it in the freezer until I had a frozen pipe/sleeve, when you pull it off the spoon. Meanwhile, I started pre-heating the oven to 500 F.

I have a small thermometer, which goes up to 600 F max, and as you can see in the pics it went well past that. The third shows the temp after about an hour of pre-heating the stone. The pics are a little shaky, but you'll get the idea.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 03:23:57 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

pizzapan