Author Topic: Pizza with an Egg  (Read 46153 times)

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
Re: Pizza with an Egg
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2008, 05:16:01 PM »
I finally got around to trying the recipe from the NYT I posted here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7064.msg60685.html#msg60685

I used my usual Caputo 00 dough in the 2stone at around 650 f for about  4 minutes.
I figured the lower temperature would give the eggs a chance to cook. I also let the eggs get to room temperature before the bake.

The flavor of the pizza was great but the raw eggs on top are very hard to deal with. Even with extra flour on the peel I ended up with all the eggs on one side of the pizza after sliding it into the oven. At least they stayed on the pie! I found the yolks were setting up before the whites, not good. I had to spoon some uncooked whites off the pizza. Next time I'm going to poach the eggs and put them on after the pie is done.

I think a Huevos Ranceros style pizza has a lot of potential as well.

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline mmarston

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »
I tried the NYT recipe ( http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7064.msg60685.html#msg60685 ) again this weekend, putting poached eggs on the pizza after baking. Sorry for the lack of a picture (we were too hungry) but the pizza looked great with the herbs sprinkled over the eggs and cheese and made a wonderful breakfast. I made a 12" pie with four eggs which my wife and I shared. I used my usual Caputo dough at 800 f in the 2stone for around two minutes. Take the dough out of the fridge in the morning before you go to the gym and bake it when you come home starving or make it for brunch.

The egg poaching process is much easier with these these fabulous gadgets.   

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/items/Silicone_Egg_Poachers

Michael
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 06:07:01 PM by mmarston »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2008, 05:59:35 PM »
The egg poaching process is much easier with these these fabulous gadgets.   

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/items/Silicone_Egg_Poachers

As a big fan of poached eggs, I have collected a variety of devices over the years to facilitate the process. Although most of these various poaching containers do make it easier to immerse and remove the egg from the water, it seems to me that the taste and texture of the final product is not the same, more like a fried egg than an old-fashioned poached egg. No idea why, but when the egg is completely surrounded in water (with a bit of vinegar), the taste is decidedly better. FWIW.

Offline jack sprat

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2008, 07:09:09 AM »
Hi  have any of you tried this method for poaching eggs , place the egg in simmering water as if you were boiling it leave for 20 seconds then remove and crack it in to the pan .The egg white as started to set resulting in a perfect poached egg , no gadgets no swirling no vinegar no mess you may need to adjust the times slightly as I keep my eggs in the fridge . I have to say all the photos look brill and don't half make me hungry what a good idea breakfast on a pizza   cheers jack

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2008, 03:49:37 PM »
I used my poach pods for the first time and I must say they are quite slick! Worked like a charm, beautiful egg   and shape, and no sloppy pan.
Ready for the egg pizza effort now you have inspired me again Peter!
John
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:28:54 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline s00da

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2008, 04:12:25 PM »
November,

I got emotional over your pizza   :'(

/salute

Saad

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »
Saad,

Thank you.  So do the people who keep requesting it, but I don't have the time to make.  There's definitely a lot more preparation involved with this pizza than a basic American or New York style pizza.  I wish I could make it more often and forgoing any concern for health, eat it more often.

- red.november

Offline sandman

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2009, 05:25:10 PM »
Bloody fantastic thread...
Some great looking pizza's by Pete and everyone else
You've inspired me to spend a few weeks experimenting with eggs...

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »
Hey Guys,

I was at the Big Sur Bakery (the restaurant referenced in the recipe link from the NY Times) several weeks ago. I was allowed to see their oven and their method for the breakfast pizza with an egg. 

They par bake the pie first with the cheese on it and then pull it out, add the egg and the bacon and put it back in the oven for a few minutes.

The par baked pie with the cheese is obviously hot along with the crust thus allowing the egg to cook and not to spill or have the yolk roll prior to placing in the oven for the finish baking. Their oven is a very, very large old brick oven, not ideal for pizza by way of its design, but they use it for many other baked goods and other things as well. Their oven temp seems to be quite low thus the par bake and adequate time for cooking the egg without burning the crust.

It is a very good pizza, especially for breakfast. I had one in the past with sausage, egg, and jalapeno and it was wonderful. I think when it warms up I will try it at home.
Russ

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2009, 07:00:39 PM »
Pizza Rustica,

I have heard of the Big Sur Bakery. I think they had an article on them in the SF Chronicle not too long ago. I have heard only good things so far.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline mmarston

« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »
The recipe in the Times did not mention par baking and as referenced in my earlier post, I was very disappointed with how the eggs turned out when I first tried it.  I have made this recipe a few times, putting poached eggs on after the bake, with great success. I'd be curious to see if anyone tries the par bake.

Michael

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »
Michael,

I had the wood fired oven going last night, so the last pizza of the evening became my pizza with egg test. I par baked the skin with light cheese of fontina and provolone. Next I added three eggs, pancetta, jalapeno peppers and some fresh mozz. The eggs did not set up from the par baking as much as I had hoped, but the par baking allowed me to return the pie to the oven without the eggs moving all around. In fact they stayed intact and did not run all over the pie. I baked for approx. 45 seconds thereafter at 800degrees plus and had to remove the pie before the eggs were cooked as the crust was leoparding extensively. After examining and determining that the eggs were not sufficiently done I returned the pie to the oven again and finished until the eggs were done. Another 45 seconds or so. Unfortunately, the extended timeframe resulted in the crust being moderate to excessively burnt.

Moral of the story is the par baking is successful, but you simply need a much lower heat in the oven. I am convinced that if I was in the 500-650 degree range the end product would of been wonderful. In fact the pie was actually very good with exception of the outer crust.
Russ

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2009, 02:42:25 PM »
Russ ,
Not sure what type of WFO you have But could you have held it up toward top of dome for 45 sec.  to finish the eggs without charring the crust? Just curious I am gonna try indoors with very very lightly poach and par bake I'll try the WFO when I open it up again. Thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline slash picaso

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2009, 06:18:34 PM »
When i do breakfast pizza i make a well with the cheese to hold the eggs,that way they dont move.Put them right in the middle so as last to cook,bacon and sausage on the outside,even mushies and beans.The cheese well does not have to be high,and a little sauce and cheese under stops it from becoming soggy,a lower temp and the tilt towards the flame after the initial egg white set and your in the zone :pizza:

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »
John, good thought. I'll try next time, however the tilting of the pie when it is lifted up may cause some problems with the egg moving. I like the idea of building a nest of cheese as suggested by PS and then holding up above the floor. Let me know how it works out.
Russ

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2010, 03:21:15 PM »
For the April, 2010 Monthly Challenge, “Breakfast Pizza”, I submitted a breakfast pizza that uses a sausage gravy and an egg. The photo below is representative but details and more photos can be seen at Reply 13 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10648.msg96745.html#new and at Reply 172 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.new.html#new

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2010, 11:55:49 PM »
Peter,

I thought this would be a good article for you since you have tried so many pizzas with eggs.  This article was in our local Sunday newspaper, but I couldn’t access it now, so here is another link to it.

http://newsok.com/article/3455432

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »
Norma,

Thank you for the link. There are almost endless possibiities for eggs on pizzas. I am always on the lookout for another version to try.

Peter

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2010, 11:52:59 PM »
I'm quite pleased with how my breakfast pizza turned out this morning. The lone exception being the difficulty I had sliding it from the peel to the stone without messing up the eggs. I'll most likely use a pizza pan next time I try this. Or I might dress the pizza with the edge of the dough extending sightly past the lip of the peel. That way, it'll catch the stone and hold itself in place without me having to shake the peel to slide it off. Anyway, it's topped with an olive oil based sauce, store-bought 4 cheese blend, cooked bacon, sauteed mushrooms, 3 eggs, plus a little mozzarella. Green onions were added after it came out of the oven.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:54:31 PM by AKSteve »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2010, 11:58:39 PM »
Nice job!  Looks delicious.