Author Topic: New Methods - Great results!  (Read 4364 times)

Offline Pizza_Not_War

New Methods - Great results!
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:58:22 PM »
Thanks to Jeff V website & pizzamaking.com I have gone from a casual tosser in of ingredients to a by the gram measurer. Today for lunch I made the best pizza I have had in 20 years. The camera phone shot does not do it justice. My wife wanted to save some for my son's after school snack and I said (deleted). I baked this on a soon to be replaced broken clay tile with a cast iron pan 2 shelves above it for reflected heat.

850g KABF
540g filtered H20
80g sourdough starter (new for me) I used SF Goldrush as it was easy to find and a good learning method.
21g fine grain sea salt
2+g SAF IDY

autolysed 75% of flour with H20 for 20 minutes, added balance of ingredients except excess flour and mixed for about 8 minutes total. Wound up adding all of the additional flour between 5.5 -7 minutes, with a bit of it flying off all over me. I hate the kitchen aid method.

20 minutes rest in bowl and then portioned out 300g x 2 and 2 larger balls into plastic containers. Five days in cold storage. Pressed them out to about 11 inches as the broken tile is only 12x12.

Topped with Trader Joe's Olive Oil, North Beach Mozz, mini heirloom tomatoes, some not great prosciutto which worked out ok since I used a little bit of it. And in the interest of saving time I used a dash of TJ's marinara sauce instead of straight crushed tomato. All toppings came from TJ's - I should do a commercial for them. LOL

Half pizza in back was Olive oil & Kosher salt only.

I can't imagine making a pizza that tastes better, but I bet I will try.

Offline tommygun

Re: New Methods - Great results!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:02:48 AM »
mmmmmmm my mouth is watering....

Offline Tonio

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 02:39:51 PM »
That looks awesome PNW!! Too bad we don't have smella-mail :chef:

How is the North Beach Moz?

T

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 03:26:19 PM »
North Beach Moz - Pretty good, kids love it - They actually like it on the side and sprinkle it on top of the pizza after baking.

I tried the Trader Joes brand of oiled & spiced mozzarella the other day. Other than Bufala Mozz, this would be my favorite. Melted in a creamy pooled mass as compared to some mozz that looks like plastic. HOWEVER, it has a kick to it on the heat level. I find I can use a lot less cheese with this or Bufala.

Next experiment will be from www.realmozzarella.com

Offline Tonio

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 06:25:06 PM »
mmm Bubalus Bubalis Mozz, hey they have smoke mozz too.

Too bad none in my town.

Something about my town (San Diego) the grocery buyers are such morons. They don't know how to stock their own store, and only what they"think" sells. So ending up having to go to specialty stores.
You get what you pay for I suppose.

Me hates plastic mozz.

T

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 07:06:22 PM »
I liked the look of this recipe and gave it a go last night.  HOwever I added a tablespoon of honey since it will be cold fermenting till the weekend.  Depending on the results I might try adding VWG next time.  Actually I would have this time but I forgot all about it.

Also, this makes quite a bit of dough.  I ended up dividing it into 4 balls but I might combine two of them to make one large pie and then have two small pies.
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:48:16 PM »
Congrats, and looks great!

Isn't it great when you bake a pizza that's just WOW? Best pie in 20 years in a true accomplishment.

Make sure you let us know how the cheese from realmozzarella .com is.

Thanks,

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 07:49:15 AM »
I made one pie with the dough last night to try it out before my mother comes for a visit.  I was thinking about the recipe and got a little nervous when I began thinking about the amount of salt it called for and I put in.  However, the crust came out very good with a nice chew and pull to it.  Not salty at all.  It browned up nicely and had a good to very good spring to it. 

I will try this recipe again and add the VWG as I found the dough to be somewhat loose or lacking the elasticity when forming the skin.  I took it right from the fridge and didnt let it sit and warm up. I also think part of my problem was that my wife used all the KA flour and I was left with Pilsbury AP flour.

Great job with the recipe.
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 11:46:19 AM »
Still can't bring myself to pay the freight on the realmozzarella.com , will most likely wait for a reason to buy a big quantity all at once and then try it.

As to the recipe in this thread it was great, however I have since dropped the use of IDY or any commercial yeast. I am mostly using the Camaldoli starter. When fully activated there is no need for IDY. I am also using Caputo 00 mixed in varying quantities with Bread flour, either KABF or Stone Buhr. I would go all Caputo except my wife prefers the chewiness when mixed with BF. A one day 65 degree rise works well for me. I also get best results by adding the salt towards the end of a 6-9 minute mix with the kitchenaid. I have also added a few stretch and folds after the mix.

PNW

pizzapan