Author Topic: Has anyone tried Stainless Steel  (Read 1482 times)

Offline MTpizzamama

• I wish....
Has anyone tried Stainless Steel
« on: November 02, 2004, 02:33:49 PM »
Hi just finished talking to my local steel guy :(.  I wanted to try using a sheet of steel in my oven on the lower rack to create a pizza oven effect.  But I was informed that I could damage my oven by creating to much heat and burn up the element.  

Has anyone experience a problem with the tiles doing this?  I wanted to try the steel and see if I could get the same results as a pizza oven made with steel instead of brick.   Still think I could do this just can't seem to get my friend to supply me with a sheet of steel the appropriate size for my oven.

MTpizzamama

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Has anyone tried Stainless Steel
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 04:00:01 PM »
Well, the good news is that most electric oven heating elements are EASY to replace, and they generally run about $20-$30.

But, I find it very hard to believe that you can overheat (or burn out) a heating element... the elements are literally red-hot when they cycle on and off. And how can you get the oven temperature hotter than the element itself in order to burn it out? I'm skeptical.  :-\
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re:Has anyone tried Stainless Steel
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 06:51:38 PM »
He might be talking about the stainless steel's reflective tendencies which would bounce the heat back up instead of allowing it to dissipate, and making the oven even hotter than normal.