Author Topic: ?'s for JerryMac  (Read 2882 times)

Offline tussiemussies

?'s for JerryMac
« on: April 04, 2008, 07:31:09 PM »
Hi JerryMac,

I'm new here and tried your dough recipe this week and for the first time in my life was thrilled with homemade pizza!!! YIPPIE!!!
DH gave the thumbs up too!

Was wondering if you can help me out with a few things?

Do have to purchase a peel -- what should I look for?

Also I am working with a gas oven and a pizza stone, how can I easily transfer the whole pie onto the stone?

Thanks JerryMac!!! : )Chris  :)

Offline tussiemussies

#2 ?'s for JerryMac
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 07:32:45 PM »

Ooops -- forgot to ask you JerryMac -- what sauce and cheese do you use on your pies?

Thanks! Chris  :D

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
Re: ?'s for JerryMac
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:00:55 AM »
Tussie,

Buy a peel ? Naaaa  :-D :-D

Here's mine, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2740.0.html

You don't even have to go that far  :-D  Got a Cookie sheet  ??? Lots of flour on a cookie sheet works gust great  ;D

Just remember, whatever peel you use, shake it around on your peel and make sure it is loose, as a test, before you try to transfer it to your stone  :D

Sauce, good canned tomatoes, "Cento" is usually the best I can get around here, seasoned with garlic, basil and oregano to your taste  ;)

Cheese, what I really like best is "Whole Milk Low Moisture Motz", again, sometimes hard to find here in NC  >:( >:( >:( >:(  After that, "Part Skim, Low Moisture", I Like Sargento  ;)

Thanks for tryin the dough and glad that you and the DH enjoyed it  ;D ;D ;D ;D

More Questions, Ask Away  :)

Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:50:13 AM »
Hey Jerry,  ;D

I think you get the award for most emoticon smileys used in one post LOL LOL  :-D
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline tussiemussies

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 01:37:45 PM »

Hey again JerryMac,

Thanks for the info.!!! : ))

Did make your dough for the weekend and it worked out fantastic again.  DH loves it too, so that is really good!
It comes out so nice and crispy on the bottom and I do use your tip of spraying the edges with EVOO before putting
it all in the oven, we are loving it!

Actually tried the cookie sheet with lots of flour on it and it worked out really well, the flour didn't burn on the bottom
of the pie -- was a little leary about that.  It did slide off super easy, thank God, last try I got burned! LOL

Got the cheese you mentioned although don't know if it is low-moisture but will see.

Did try just seasoned tomatoes this weekend and think DH prefers me making my sauce and using that, think I prefer it too.

The other thing I am wondering from your pics is (I am making rectangles at this point with the dough, and that fits my stone so it works well right now), how do you get your dough so nice and round and large?  Mine doesn't seem to be stretching that much. I did purchase a dough relaxer from King Arthur flour that is supposed to help when you stretch dough that it won't stretch back -- think i will give that a try on the next batch..

Thanks JerryMac!!! Your recipe is going in my recipe box -- a keeper! : ) Christine

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:42:44 AM »
canadianbacon,

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

There, that should insure the award  >:D

Jerry

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
Christine,

Glad the dough is still workin for ya  :D

How the heck do you make a rectangle out of this dough  ???

Large, round, thin skins  ???  Practice  Practice  Practice  >:(

If your dough tries to stretch back on you after the second rise you may be using a bit too much flour. If it does try to stretch back on you, just stretch it as far as it will go, cover the skins with plastic, wait 5 or 10 minutes and then finish stretching again. It shouldn't fight you as much then  :D

Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry

Offline tussiemussies

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »

Thanks -- will give it a try! : )

pizzapan