Author Topic: Stone position in oven  (Read 3249 times)

Offline pwaldman

Stone position in oven
« on: April 20, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
I've been baking with great results on the next to lowest position in my oven on a Fibrament stone.  Sometimes the bottom gets done before I am happy with the char on the top.  I've moved it up and have used the broiler with good results.  Tonight I moved my stone to the top third of the oven, preheated at 5500, and then turned on the broiler for 10 minutes before I loaded the pizza, then back to 5500.  What a success!  This was a pretty straight forward Lehman dough at 64% hydration using KASL.  The dough was also unfrozen after a month which I have been having great results with.  One other thing, new cheese mix from a local store that opened up in my area (DFW) called Sprouts; it was their own brand of cheese cut from larger blocks.  I used one third each of whole milk mozzarella, part skim mozzarella and provolone.  The mix gave me great melting without burning and lots of stretch.  We started eating the pie when I realized I needed to take some photos for you guys.  Thanks to all of you for my success!

Offline pwaldman

Re: Stone position in oven
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »
Forgot to mention, the dark spots are not burnt cheese but spicey italian sausage.

Pete

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:57:18 PM »
Made another pizza the other night but realized I could make a 350 adjustment to my thermostat (GE electric oven).  I also recently bought  an IR thermometer since I ordered a 2 Stone pg which will be used for the first time this weekend.  :P    Set my kitchen oven to 5500, waited 45 minutes and checked the stone surface temp.  It read at 6200!  Boy was I surprised!  Cooked 3 14" pizzas one right after another; first one cooked right at 4 minutes, last one was just over 5 minutes.  Crust were crunchy and light with great color.

The biggest point I am making is that by raising my stone higher in the oven I am able to get a smaller cavity near the top that seems to give a better balance of heat for the top and bottom.  Just goes to show that everyones oven and situation is different and you need to experiment to see what works best for you.

Pete

Offline zalicious

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:47:01 AM »
That pizza looks really, really good.

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 09:13:22 AM »
What was your method for making a 35 degree alteration of your oven?

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 12:22:15 PM »
The GE oven has an electronic calibration that can be adjusted up to 35o.  No special tricks needed to fool the temp probe.  I think most of the GE electronically controlled oven have this type of feature.

Pete

pizzapan