Author Topic: Cast Iron Skillet Pita Bread Pizza  (Read 140 times)

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
Cast Iron Skillet Pita Bread Pizza
« on: November 15, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »
I cam across a recipe on Serious Eats yesterday detailing how to make a pizza in a cast iron skillet using a tortilla.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/cast-iron-skillet-tortilla-pizza-bar-pie-food-lab.html

It seemed like a good idea and a way to make a good "snack" pizza. I didn't have any tortillas around this morning, but I did have some pita bread (I'm Greek, so it's always in the house). I followed the recipe pretty closely and proceeded to make the pizza. I used Polly-o cheese that I had shredded, and for a sauce I tried my first batch of Stanislaus Full Red. I had the unprepared kind of Full Red, so I used the following:

1 #10 cans full red
1/2 #10 cans water
2 oz. garlic powder
1 oz. salt
.25 oz. black pepper
a pinch of crushed red pepper (I overdid it a bit)
Oregano to taste

After I took it out of the broiler, I let it cool a bit and when I bit into it I was pleasantly surprised. It was really good. I had a friend try it and she said it was amazing. She rated it a 10 out of 10. I think it was the sauce that did it IMO (I've been using crushed tomatoes). I will be trying this sauce on a Sicilian pie tonight and a Stromboli tomorrow.

Offline theppgcowboy

Re: Cast Iron Skillet Pita Bread Pizza
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:39:25 PM »
With my left over doughs when out with my mobile wfo, I make pitas out of them and then freeze them.  What you do here is exactly what I do with them.  They are outstanding, easy and those that I share them with love them.  The local ski area is having a horrible time with their pizza and I am trying to turn them on to my wfo pita pizzas.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:41:04 PM by theppgcowboy »

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:22:58 PM »
With my left over doughs when out with my mobile wfo, I make pitas out of them and then freeze them.  What you do here is exactly what I do with them.  They are outstanding, easy and those that I share them with love them.  The local ski area is having a horrible time with their pizza and I am trying to turn them on to my wfo pita pizzas.

Your pita bread must taste amazing.

Offline amiart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »
I cam across a recipe on Serious Eats yesterday detailing how to make a pizza in a cast iron skillet using a tortilla.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/cast-iron-skillet-tortilla-pizza-bar-pie-food-lab.html

It seemed like a good idea and a way to make a good "snack" pizza. I didn't have any tortillas around this morning, but I did have some pita bread (I'm Greek, so it's always in the house). I followed the recipe pretty closely and proceeded to make the pizza. I used Polly-o cheese that I had shredded, and for a sauce I tried my first batch of Stanislaus Full Red. I had the unprepared kind of Full Red, so I used the following:

1 #10 cans full red
1/2 #10 cans water
2 oz. garlic powder
1 oz. salt
.25 oz. black pepper
a pinch of crushed red pepper (I overdid it a bit)
Oregano to taste

After I took it out of the broiler, I let it cool a bit and when I bit into it I was pleasantly surprised. It was really good. I had a friend try it and she said it was amazing. She rated it a 10 out of 10. I think it was the sauce that did it IMO (I've been using crushed tomatoes). I will be trying this sauce on a Sicilian pie tonight and a Stromboli tomorrow.

Is it just me or is that pizza smiling ?

pizzapan