Author Topic: Rainy day pizza  (Read 2259 times)

buceriasdon

Rainy day pizza
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:12:12 AM »
Hi, I had some friends over for pizza Sunday evening and though it was raining I went ahead with the outside oven. Cooking time was a bit longer but still crispy. Here is a pic of a starter pizza with pesto and sliced tomatoes and pine nuts.
   Regards, Don

buceriasdon

Re: Rainy day pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »
Second rainy day main course thin crust pizza
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 07:07:02 PM by buceriasdon »

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 07:14:03 PM »
And here is Igor the Oven, converted ceramic kiln with clay planter base and high pressure burner, I think in the states they call them Cajun or Bayou burners. 800F ,450C in about 15 minutes. I use this oven to cook turkeys, with a regulated burner to dehydrating tomatoes with a electric heater.
 Regards, Don

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 07:39:27 PM »
buceriasdon,

Nice looking pies... and quite the oven set up!  Thanks for sharing with us!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »
Great oven Don! Impressive heatup time too. Great idea using the clay planter base. Nice looking pies! Have you tried Oaxaca cheese pizza?  - great with nopal and/or flor de calabassa.

Regards,  Vic

And here is Igor the Oven, converted ceramic kiln with clay planter base and high pressure burner, I think in the states they call them Cajun or Bayou burners. 800F ,450C in about 15 minutes. I use this oven to cook turkeys, with a regulated burner to dehydrating tomatoes with a electric heater.
 Regards, Don
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 08:05:39 AM »
Hi Vic, Thanks, I will say that is air temp measured with a kiln pyrometer with the probe about half way up the back, I now back off the burner and heat soak the oven for a half an hour before pizza baking since using the high pressure burner. Yes! Squash blossom pizza is my personal favorite. Luckily a super market has opened up just outside my town that carries them on occasion. Lighty brushed dough with olive oil, then some Oaxaca(pronounced Wa hawk a for folks) cheese then the blossoms and some thin sliced onion, roasted garlic, topped with Chihuahua cheese lightly and some crumbled goat cheese. Fresh cilantro just before serving. Out of this world. I will  try some nopale(catus paddle) on on my next Mexican homemade chorizo with homemade enchilada sauce pizza, thanks for the idea! Regards, Don

Great oven Don! Impressive heatup time too. Great idea using the clay planter base. Nice looking pies! Have you tried Oaxaca cheese pizza?  - great with nopal and/or flor de calabassa.

Regards,  Vic

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »
Hi, Thank you. The pics didn`t turn out as well as I hoped, but it was very overcast and then nighfall. Warm regards, Don

buceriasdon,

Nice looking pies... and quite the oven set up!  Thanks for sharing with us!

~sd