Author Topic: Second attempt at high temp bake  (Read 5914 times)

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
Second attempt at high temp bake
« on: July 07, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »
I made my first attempt at at 800+ pizza last night and it turned out great!  I have a setup for my bbq that is similar to 2Stone but not a 2stone.  My pizzas last night were cooked in about 1.5 minutes are were the following recipe:

This was for 4 12" pizzas using Robin Hood all Purpose flour

Flour (100%):
Water (63%):
IDY (0.25%):
Salt (1.5%):
Olive Oil (0.25%):
Sugar (0.25%):
Honey (1%):
Total (166.25%):
Single Ball:
783.01 g  |  27.62 oz | 1.73 lbs
493.3 g  |  17.4 oz | 1.09 lbs
1.96 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.65 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
11.75 g | 0.41 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.45 tsp | 0.82 tbsp
1.96 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.44 tsp | 0.15 tbsp
1.96 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.49 tsp | 0.16 tbsp
7.83 g | 0.28 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.12 tsp | 0.37 tbsp
1301.76 g | 45.92 oz | 2.87 lbs | TF = 0.1015
325.44 g | 11.48 oz | 0.72 lbs

I had a problem with the bottom of the pizza burning very easily with this recipe.  I didn't ghet any pictures because the pizza was eaten in hurry.  Definitely the nest pizza I have ever made!  I'm going to try the following recipe next.  Do you think it will make much of a difference as far as how easily the crust will burn?  Unfortunately I dont have a thermometer to read the exact temperature but it was very hot!

This is for 4 13" pizzas using Robin Hood All Purpose

Flour (100%):
Water (64%):
IDY (0.25%):
Salt (1.5%):
Total (165.75%):
Single Ball:
875.64 g  |  30.89 oz | 1.93 lbs
560.41 g  |  19.77 oz | 1.24 lbs
2.19 g | 0.08 oz | 0 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp
13.13 g | 0.46 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.74 tsp | 0.91 tbsp
1451.37 g | 51.19 oz | 3.2 lbs | TF = 0.096425
362.84 g | 12.8 oz | 0.8 lbs
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 05:13:04 PM by turbosundance »
Ryan

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Second attempt at high temp bake
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 05:31:53 PM »
Ryan,

I think the honey and sugar may have been responsible for the bottom of your crusts darkening so much, especially at the high temperatures you used.

Your alternative dough formulation reminds me of the dough formulation that Amici's in California purportedly uses except that they use a long room temperature fermentation rather than a cold fermentation. I described the Amici dough formulation and processes at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6313.msg54156.html#msg54156. I think your alternative dough formulation should turn out better from the standpoint of not having crust bottoms that brown too much.

Please let us know how things turn out.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 05:33:27 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 06:53:46 PM »
I have a setup for my bbq that is similar to 2Stone but not a 2stone.

How about a photo of that setup? Curious to see what you are doing.

PNW

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 08:14:08 PM »
I'll have to assemble it again and take a picture.  Basically I used two 15" pizza stones, some pieces of aluminum, tin foil and various cookie sheets covered in tin foil.

Imagine the bottom stone sitting on the grill with some metal stacked beside it toward the back of the stone.  I have then placed the top stone on top of the metal creating a roughly 3" gap between the stones.  Then I covers the rest of the exposed grill surface with cookie sheets covered with time foil, I sealed the sides of the stones up with tin foil.  The idea is that all the heat from the burners is forced to enter the between the stones at the back and travel between them and out the front. A 2stone would do the same thing with out all the tin foil and messing around. 

I have a setup for my bbq that is similar to 2Stone but not a 2stone.

How about a photo of that setup? Curious to see what you are doing.

PNW
Ryan

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:05:48 PM »
Here are some pictures of it mocked up minus most of the tin foil.  I need to make the gap between the stones smaller I think
Ryan

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 09:32:09 PM »
Thanks for posting the photo's. Did not intend for you to go to the trouble of doing that so fast.

I have the 2stone and am very happy with its performance, always looking for ideas to improve upon what is already great.

Did you think that up before the 2stone or did you use the 2stone as inspiration for your set up???

PNW

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 10:45:49 PM »

Did you think that up before the 2stone or did you use the 2stone as inspiration for your set up???

PNW

I have been wanting to buy a 15" 2stone but I just can't justify the cost to my wife right now so I'm forced to use this setup - which I based on a 2stone and works surprising well so far.  I tried it for first time 2 nights ago and it made 4 of the best pizzas I have ever made!  I just need to get a thermometer so I don't get the stones too hot. 

My plan is to eventually get a 2Stone with the Bayou burner but i couldn't wait any longer to try a high temperature pizza.  I have been working on my pizza for my conventional oven now for years and I have never been close to happy with it.  Now, I wasn't completely happy with the pizzas I made two nights ago but they were a vast improvement over the ones I've made in my 550 degree oven using virtually the same dough techniques.  The only thing that would have made them perfect in my mind would have been if they didn't burn on the bottom before the top was cooked.  I'm very excited and I cant wait to make some more.  I will post some pictures of my next pizzas.  Do you have any pictures of some of the pizzas you've made with your 2stone?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:50:36 PM by turbosundance »
Ryan

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 11:12:31 PM »
I will post some pictures of my next pizzas.  Do you have any pictures of some of the pizzas you've made with your 2stone?
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5541.0.html

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 12:38:18 AM »
PNW,

You might want to give a page number as to where your pics can be found, since that particular thread is pretty long.  ;)

Just a thought.

Mike
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 01:57:27 AM »
You might want to give a page number as to where your pics can be found, since that particular thread is pretty long.  ;)
Mike,

It was my intent to not limit the pics to my pizza on the 2stone. There are many more examples on that thread that look better than the ones I posted. My more recent efforts look and taste better, my family however looks at me differently when the camera comes out, so I stopped taking pictures for now.

PNW

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 02:34:17 AM »
...my family however looks at me differently when the camera comes out, so I stopped taking pictures for now.

How come that there are so many posts, or at least the ones I've read, where guys say "my wife thinks I'm nuts" or "..I'd have a hard time getting her approval...".

I understand that any relationship is a two way street. And I know that communication is most important and that communal living can be challenging on occasion, but for god's sake, why is it that wives have a hard time sharing the passion and can't be a little more supportive? It's a passion and a hobby! Just like the guys who like to build model cars or planes or work on cars or collect things,...that kinda stuff.

My solution: Have one major account for all family expenses and two private ones. By devoting a certain amount each month, week or bi-week, you make sure that everybody has their own money.

And PNW, to think that your family is looking at you like you're nuts, well I can sympathise with that. They probably are. But don't let that stop you from taking pictures!  ;D

But perhaps stop yelling "Heeeere's Johnny!!!"   ;D

Mike

Edit: Grammar
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:10:05 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 08:29:59 AM »
why is it that wives have a hard time sharing the passion and can't be a little more supportive? It's a passion and a hobby! Just like the guys who like to build model cars or planes or work on cars or collect things,...that kinda stuff.
From the very beginning of my pizza making journey, I have involved my wife as much as possible. In particular, I always ask her if there is a particular type of pizza she would like and I make sure to always bake at least one pie (usually the first one) that caters to her preferences. I encourage her to be brutally honest (never a problem!) in her opinions of each batch and solicit her advice on ways to make it better. Although she has always been very supportitive of all my craziness (pizza isn't the only one), I think this approach has helped a lot.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 10:03:51 AM »
How come that there are so many posts, or at least the ones I've read, where guys say "my wife thinks I'm nuts" or "..I'd have a hard time getting her approval...".

I understand that any relationship is a two way street. And I know that communication is most important and that communal living can be challenging on occasion, but for god's sake, why is it that wives have a hard time sharing the passion and can't be a little more supportive? It's a passion and a hobby! Just like the guys who like to build model cars or planes or work on cars or collect things,...that kinda stuff.

My solution: Have one major account for all family expenses and two private ones. By devoting a certain amount each month, week or bi-week, you make sure that everybody has their own money.

I think much of it is in jest. It is not a financial consideration, it is more of self depreciation. Among the many things I always wanted to do was be a stand up comedian or a musician. In this light I use my wife for comedic intent or in the case of shopping for large ticket items I always say I have to check with her first, it is not the case (I think).

Henny Youngman said the following among many things:

My wife is an earth sign. I'm a water sign. Together we make mud.

A woman says to a man, "I haven't seen you around here." "Yes, I just got out of jail for killing my wife." "So you're single!"

Take my wife, please!

I've been married for 49 years. Where have I failed?

I've been in love with the same woman for 49 years. If my wife every finds out, she'll kill me!

My wife and I have the secret to making a marriage last. Two times a week, we go to a nice restaurant, a little wine, good food. She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays.

Someone stole all my credit cards, but I won't be reporting it. The thief spends less than my wife did.

I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.

I asked my wife, "Where do you want to go for our anniversary?" She said, "Somewhere I have never been!" I told her, "How about the kitchen?"

We always hold hands. If I let go, she shops.

My wife has a black belt in shopping.

My wife will buy anything marked down. Last year she bought an escalator.

All my wife does is shop - once she was sick for a week, and three stores went under.

She has an electric blender, electric toaster, electric bread maker. Then she said, "There are too many gadgets, and no place to sit down! So what did I do? Bought her an electric chair.

My wife loves to shop at Bloomingdale's. I bring her mail there twice a week.

My wife and I went back to the hotel where we spent our wedding night. Only this time, I stayed in the bathroom and cried.

My wife drives the wrong way on a one way street. The cop pulled her over and asked, "Where are you going?" My wife said, "I must be late, everyone is all coming back!"

My wife told me the car wasn't running well, there was water in the carburetor. I asked where the car was, and she told me it was in the lake.

My wife and I went to a hotel where we got a waterbed. My wife called it the Dead Sea.

My wife is on a new diet. Coconuts and bananas. She hasn't lost weight, but can she climb a tree!

She was at the beauty shop for two hours. That was only for the estimate.

She got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.

She ran after the garbage truck, yelling, "Am I too late for the garbage?" "No, jump in!"

I bought my wife a little Italian car. A Mafia. It has a hood under the hood.

Three weeks ago, she learned how to drive. Last week she learned how to aim it.

I came home, the car was in the dining room. "How did you get the car in here?" "Easy, I took a left at the kitchen."

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 11:24:43 AM »
It's been said: It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »
The reason I have a hard time convincing my wife that I need a special pizza oven for the BBQ is that I have many hobbies that require special thing.  Everything from special tools for my cars, my off-road golf carts and now my pizza.  I suppose sometimes I'm asking for too many special tools / ovens, ect.  I had planned to buy a 2stone this past June but I decided my golf cart needed an engine rebuild instead - my fault not hers I suppose.

It's not pretty but I can go pretty much anywhere in the woods from mud bogging to 45MPH sprints down the trail with a beer in your hand!   ;D >:D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:29:25 PM by turbosundance »
Ryan

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 04:18:47 PM »
Well, duh. Your golf cart needs a pizza oven. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 05:01:04 PM »
Well, duh. Your golf cart needs a pizza oven. Problem solved. You're welcome.

LOL.

And he can tell his wife that he needs more special tools for the job. I think his wife will then have him institutionalized.  ;D

Mike
Mike

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »
You just need to take MORE pictures of your wife than pizza.  My wife caught on that we've got more digital pictures of pizza than her.  And more of the dog than her!!!  :angel:

Petes suggestion is a good one and I do need to take his advice.  My wife likes the Old Forge PA pizza, deeper dish, fried in a little olive oil, and I'm always caught up in trying to make the best elite 3-4 minute  NY pizza that I haven't made her HER choice of pizza in a long time.
Patrick

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 09:03:08 AM »
Hi everyone,

this was my second time on the WFO....

the pizzas turn out great !! 2 minutes baking, 430c deck heat......
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 02:45:38 PM »
I made 8 pizzas this weekend with the no salt / no oil recipe above and found that problem I had with the bottom burning has gone away.  I did however have problem stretching the dough without it tearing.  Could this tearing problem be caused by the lack of oil in the dough?  I have never made dough without oil before.  I'd post some pictures but the pizza was eaten in a hurry.  The pizzas were way too thick because I couldn't stretch the dough properly.

I did a 48 hour fridge slow rise and then about 3 hours at room temp before shaping.  I made these pizzas in a cabin the woods with no electricity or water. All I had was a cheap chinese BBQ and my pizza stone oven setup

I used my golf cart to transport all my supplies down the 3 mile trail to the cabin.
Ryan

pizzapan