Author Topic: Old Chicago  (Read 14570 times)

Offline thatonegirl

Old Chicago
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:37:25 PM »
Is anybody out there familiar with a chain called Old Chicago? We have two here in Boise and they make a killer pizza. I'm not sure if it is just a local chain but if anyone out there knows of them and have tried to copy their pizza please let me know!

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Old Chicago
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:02:39 PM »
There is an old saying "that's why they make chocolate and vanilla". We have one nearby and one visit was more than enough for our family.

We really did not like it. I can make far superior pizza at home and save $40.00

PNW

Offline thatonegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »
PNW,

Do you mind sharing your Chicago pizza recipe and secrets?

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:09:32 PM »
Sure,

Pick one of the hundreds of recipes on pizzamaking.com and you will be able to better the output of almost any chain pizza restaurant. Several of the recipes I have used are well documented on this site. Check out moderator Bill/SFNM for his recipes as they are among the best of the lot. I am sure Peter can also show the way with his well detailed methods and clones of many pizzas.

Check http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6778.msg58429.html#msg58429 last post. I also do this without the stretch & fold, increasing the mix time to 10 minutes or so. Currently using Caputo 75% & Stone Buhr 25%.

Sorry if that offends you, I just don't like chain pizza! The Chicago place is usually near empty when I pass by. The old Pizza Uno from the 80-90's was far superior.

good luck

PNW

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:56:36 AM »
thatonegirl,

We have so many gifted members who make first-rate Chicago deep-dish (and South Side) pizzas that I am afraid to mention them for fear of leaving a deserving member off of the list. However, one good way to sort through the posts in search of a recipe to try is to look at the number of page views of the various threads that are listed at the Chicago index at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,25.0.html. The threads with the most page views--and also the greatest numbers of posts--are generally the ones that yielded some of the best and most popular recipes. Many of the recipes will be "clone" recipes simply because that is what most members relate to, especially if they moved to places where they can no longer get their old favorite pizzas. Looking at photos of pizzas will also help. For example, take a look at loowaters' pizza at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4070.msg33948.html#msg33948 and you will see what I mean.

Peter

Offline El Pistolero

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 08:49:26 PM »
thatonegirl,

At the risk of being blasphemous, I'm with you...I thought the pizza at Old Chicago was pretty good.  I tried it for the first time last week, partly because the wife and kids have been raving about it, and partly because there was one right across the street from the hotel we were staying at...it was definitely edible.  Of course I haven't been to Chicago in nearly 40 years, and there are no really good pizza places in Texas, so what do I know.  :(

That said, if you follow the instructions that loowaters has provided (follow the last link in the post directly above this one), I think you'll be able to create a pie that is much better than anything Old Chicago has to offer.  I followed loo's instructions step by step earlier today, and the dough is coming together exactly as he said it would.  If I can keep from messing the sauce up, the family should completely forget about OC by this time tomorrow.

Offline BTB

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 12:03:50 PM »
Just to put in my "two cents" FWIW (which may be less than 2 cents), the Old Chicago pizza in Brandon, FL, at which I had 2 pizzas several months ago, both their deep dish and thin crust were . . . not very good.  Everything about them from crust to sauce to ingredients were . . . . . not so good.  I've eaten many Chicago pizzas in my lifetime (thousands??) and those at Old Chicago aren't even close to good Chicago pizza IMO. 

They are a Denver or Colorado-based chain that has no attachment to Chicago whatsoever and they just use the Chicago name in their title to try to give their pizza products some class.  They don't even claim that their pizzas are like any of the great Chicago pizzerias (e.g., Malnati's, Gino's, Giordano's, Home Run Inn, etc.) but instead recite that their pizzas are "Chicago Inspired" (##@#$!!!!!), whatever the heck that means! ! !  (I guess a "round" pizza may suggest Chicago inspired.)  My friends and neighbors report back similarly to me about their unsatisfactory experience at Old Chicago.  I had also earlier tried their pizzas at one of their Denver locations and the one in Grand Rapids, MI and felt similarly. I guess I was just curious to learn if my earlier taste testing was not typical when we tried the Brandon restaurant.

Last I knew there was only one very newly established Old Chicago chain restaurant within a stone's throw of Chicago, and that was in the northwestern suburbs, not too far from one of the fantastic Lou Malnati's pizzerias in Elk Grove Village.  With such competition nearby, it will be interesting to see how long the Old Chicago facility lasts before they have to close their doors.  I know and appreciate that everyone has different tastes, and maybe lack of quality pizza products can limit ones exposure to the great pizzas that exist in many, many areas of this country, but I am just amazed on how a company can just put together a fancy, expensive, nice looking restaurant and throw together some flour, yeast and water  and expect people to rave about their product because of the name they attach to their business.

I didn't mean to come down harshly, if that's how my thoughts are viewed, but there are an incredible number of terrific recipes for great Chicago Style pizzas within this thread.  Those by DKM, loowaters, foodblogger, buzz, and many others and even mine at Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
(http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6480.0.html) are far superior to any of those pizzas served at "Old Chicago."  And those superior formulations are just a click away.  --BTB
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:59:12 PM by BTB »

Offline thatonegirl

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 11:53:25 PM »
I agree BTB, there are a lot of people on this forum who have awesome chicago style pizzas. Since I first posted about Old Chicago I have since tried DKM's chicago style pizza....and it was good! In fact I'm making it again this thursday for the extended fam.
Thank you for posting the link to your Malnati's dough...I'll be sure to try that too!
One thing that I did not particularly care for on the chicago style pizza is the order of the toppings...the cheese, then the meat, then the sauce. Is that horrible? I guess that's what I get for growing up on the west coast  :D

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »
We have an Old Chicago here in Sioux Falls, SD where I reside.  To be frank, this chain makes the words Chicago and Pizza look bad.  I wish they would call it something else..it gives people the impression (who don't know any better) that Old Chicago pizza is "Chicago style"..when it's not..not even close actually.  When I went there they had nothing close to a deep dish with sauce on the top, etc....and they looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked about it.  "Sauce on the top..?"

If it were called "Bob's Pizza" I probably wouldn't mind it..it would be average chain pizza..like "Bostons" or some of the others found in a chain fashion....but the constant Chicago references inside the place and such give you the impression you are getting something like you would in the Chicagoland area....and the pizza has nothing to do with what you would find in the Chicagoland area....at all..

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
Old Chicago is a good place to try a crapload of different beers...but don't go for the pizza. 
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline lovepizza

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 03:31:27 PM »
I eat at Old Chicago all the time its not bad its one of the best pizza chains going today. But the key word here is "chain" all of the people replying here about all these great Chicago pizza parlor places are not talking about chains they are talking about mom and pop pizza's .
Old Chicago is a national pizza chain so lets compare apples to apples Old Chicago vs ,Dominoes, Round table, pizza hut ,Etc Old Chicago
Rules it is a far superior pizza than its competition.  I have eaten Pizza in every state of the union and in my opinion the best pizza I have had to this date is the original Rays Pizza in the village in NYC.Its a thin crust pizza not a Chicago style but it is still the best pizza there is .     

Offline crawlermk

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 12:39:20 PM »
Dont The Old Chicago Pizza Sauce Contain Like Almost 16 Cans Of Pizza Sauce And Have MAranara in It With Parmasean Cheese In It

Offline BTB

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 10:19:27 AM »
Dont The Old Chicago Pizza Sauce Contain Like Almost 16 Cans Of Pizza Sauce And Have MAranara in It With Parmasean Cheese In It
                       ##&%@#&!!!!!!!!!                     ???                   ???                   ???

pizzapan