Author Topic: Jersey Fresh Crushed Tomatoes-just tried them, awesome!Anyone else?  (Read 10307 times)

Offline Jersey Pizza Pride

Let me start by saying I'm sorry about my name matching my topic tonight. It seems a little obnoxious.  Anyway,
I was in whole foods last week and saw these. I was a bit skeptical at first because I hate buying already crushed tomatoes.  I made a quick sauce and put it on some chix parm tonight and it was incredible. I tried them right out of the can and they were beyond sweet and fresh.  I read that this is the first year of production and they are grown in Williamstown. They are canned without citric acid.  I am going to stock up and make some pies this weekend. These tomatoes and some local Biazzo whole milk mozzarella will make a local pie New Jerseyans can be proud of.  I'll be sure to take some pictures.  Has anyone else tried these and liked them as much as I do or are my tastebuds deceiving me?

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Jersey Fresh Crushed Tomatoes-just tried them, awesome!Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:07:42 AM »
I get a brand called Vita Sana from Whole Foods which are the best I've ever had. I have never seen canned Jersey tomatoes... sounds like it would be worth a try as well.... can you state the name thats on the label. Thanks

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:28:57 AM »
Here's an article about them:

http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=14822

Looks like they're canned by Violet/Don Pepino, which is a high-quality outfit.  I'd pick up a can or 2 if I saw them!

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:26:06 PM »
Nice article thanks!!

Offline ang100

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:03:18 PM »
Hi, i live right next to Williamstown. Where did you buy these canned tomatoes?  I'd love to try them.

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:54:49 PM »
I got them at the whole foods in west orange so I would check the closest whole foods.  The article also said that they were being sold at super foodtown, so i would try them as well.  I'm not sure how many you have down south but read over the article in the link above again and see what else it says.  good luck.

Jersey Fresh Tomatoes...With Basil Now!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 08:46:36 PM »
I was at Whole Foods today to pick up some more Jersey Fresh Tomatoes and I noticed that the company started adding basil to the cans. Usually I add the fresh basil myself and let them sit a few days in the fridge before I put them on the pie. Has anyone tried the ones with Basil yet?  I bought four cans.  Two bucks a piece.  I can't wait to make some pies!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 09:23:02 PM »
I have tried the redpack with basil and liked them. I am in Jersey, Northern Bergen County where can I get these Bad Boys? Whole foods in Ridgewood? Super food town Ramsey? Where are you located Jersey pride?
 So the label says  Jersey Fresh? could you put up a pic of a can?
Thanks for the tip
John in Jersey
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:26:18 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:48:11 PM »
I picked up about 20 cans (without basil) at a jersey whole foods this summer.  I was not impressed with these tomatoes.  They have been relegated to chili and soups now.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
I have tried the redpack with basil and liked them. I am in Jersey, Northern Bergen County where can I get these Bad Boys? Whole foods in Ridgewood? Super food town Ramsey? Where are you located Jersey pride?
 So the label says  Jersey Fresh? could you put up a pic of a can?
Thanks for the tip
John in Jersey

I picked them up at the Whole Foods in West Orange.  I'm in Montclair.  I was upset to see that someone didn't like these tomatoes.  I'll have to question my pallet now.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 10:38:05 PM »
Dont worry Jersey still rocks> I know the 6-1s well so i will give you a real rookie opinion ;) Its probably a Yankees red sox thing eh scott?? Just kidding, Scott has fantastic knowledge has consulted with the best, and probably tried stuff/tomatoes we may never taste right scott?

JC

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 11:36:41 PM »
You are too nice JC!!  I don't think they are nearly as good as the 6 in 1's (which aren't even my favorite), but I am always excited to try new brands.  I am glad I did!  They certainly aren't horrible, that's for sure.  Do you guys that like the jersey fresh tomatoes have access to Pastene?  They make a similar product to the Jersey fresh called Kitchen Ready that I also like better.  At least around here (boston) they are aREALLY cheap and in every grocery store.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 09:43:42 PM »
Boston/NY thing?  Let me just say 18-1 and hopefully that will ring a bell, lol.  Yeah Scott.  We have Pastene down here.  Pastene is also packaging San Marzanos now, any luck with them?  Besides the Jersey Fresh I've been using the Vantia San Marzanos lately which are ridiculously good, especially since I found them for two bucks a can.  I'll let you know what happens with the pastene.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 10:03:36 PM »
It rings a bell... ouch.  I do like the pastene san marzanos.  They have a nice fresh taste, almost like a cross between a typical italian flavor and a california flavor,  but they are probably not  going to beat your Vantias.   The pastene kitchen ready is very different,  very similar to a 6 in 1, but not quite as good.  They are cheap and available without shipping, though, which is nice.

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 03:51:38 PM »
I grew up adjacent to Williamstown in NJ where Jersey Fresh Crushed Tomatoes are packed. Nostalgia led me to get half a dozen cans shipped to me where I live in Oregon. Ordered them off of gourmetlibrary.com . They're awesome, if you can find them, buy as many as you can carry!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:54:17 PM by R2-Bayou »
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
I really like these, maybe I have just consuming too much of them.  Part of this for me is about not buying tomatoes from 3000 miles away when there are very good ones right here in NJ.
Patrick

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 10:14:05 PM »
2nd the notion and easy to get!
John

Offline donnambishop

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 07:56:45 PM »
The "Jersey Fresh" brand of crushed tomatoes is simply fantastic! Having moved from the Hammonton area (Southern NJ - Blueberry Capital of the World!) after living in NJ for 47 years...my whole life - I'm glad to have this reminder of "home". We moved from NJ to Fort Myers, Florida because of my health issues. In NJ, I had been on heavy duty prescription medications for just over 7 years and the Fibromyalgia was so bad that, in the winter, I would spend days on end in bed or having to use my walker or cane to get around. It seriously impacted my ability to cook the way I had become accustomed to as well. I was unable to spend as much time on my feet without having so much pain. Now that I'm in the warmer, south western area of Florida, my pain level is nearly non-existent. No more pain med's except advil in the morning! So, for the holidays, I was able to use some pizza dough to make some "Cheesesteak Stromboli's" with fried onions & bring them with us to Aunt Theresa's as an appetizer. Needless to say, they were one of the 1st items to go before dinner was served. But back to the "Jersey Fresh"...

Thank goodness I have family coming to visit next month (March) & they're bringing me another case of it!! We are down to our last 2 cans after the gravy I made today for the ravioli's! Started off with a lil olive oil, garlic, onions, oregano & basil in the bottom of the pan, heated it up until the onions were clear and soft, added 2 cans of the "Jersey Fresh" crushed tomatoes, a lil sea salt & 2 tablespoons of sugar and let it simmer on low for about an hour. Tastes like what I had as a little girl at my grandparents every Sunday! I also use this brand of crushed tomatoes when making chicken Parm, baked macaroni or the chicken pieces with crushed tomatoes, onions, some spices including Sazon and put it all over white rice...yummy!!

Anyway...just wanted to tell you I agree....one of the best brands in a LONG time!! I hope they continue to make it....makes Florida feel like home!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 09:20:15 PM »
I recently picked up a few cans of Sclafani crushed tomatoes which are from Williamstown NJ. Are these the same ones you're talking about? I have not tried them yet. I am not sold on any brand yet and I'm looking for that go to tomato.
John..I think you have had the Sclafani tomatoes , which do u prefer?
Chaz

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »
  Do you guys that like the jersey fresh tomatoes have access to Pastene? 

Scott,

They are using straight up Pastene (out of the can) at Santarpios, correct? What's the difference between the Kitchen ready and the regular crushed?

Also, 18-1 is nothing to be ashamed of, right? Lots better than the NJ NFL team's record. Oh wait...... There IS no NJ NFL team. >:D

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

pizzapan