Author Topic: Higher temp NY style pie  (Read 3057 times)

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
Higher temp NY style pie
« on: August 06, 2008, 05:14:02 PM »
Here is the formula I start with using All Trumps flour:

Flour (100%):    566.85 g  |  19.99 oz | 1.25 lbs
Water (58%):    328.78 g  |  11.6 oz | 0.72 lbs
IDY (.5%):    2.83 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.94 tsp | 0.31 tbsp
Salt (2%):    11.34 g | 0.4 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.36 tsp | 0.79 tbsp
Oil (2%):    11.34 g | 0.4 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.52 tsp | 0.84 tbsp
Total (162.5%):   921.14 g | 32.49 oz | 2.03 lbs | TF = 0.0808
Single Ball:   460.57 g | 16.25 oz | 1.02 lbs

3 day cold rise in frig.
I took out the dough about an hour before making the pie
Stretched easily to 16" screen
My oven usually heats up to 550 deg in 18 mins.
I recently rigged it so I can open the door on the cleaning cycle...
I left it on for 50 mins, then popped this pie in, on the screen, onto the 16" stone. It got pretty damn hot, but of course I am unsure on the exact temp.
Took around 3 mins to cook.
About 6 oz of cheese on it, polly-o whole milk mozz.
And a good amount of sauce.
Delicious

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Higher temp NY style pie
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:00:14 PM »
abilak,

Good to see you back on the forum.

Nice job. Your pizza looks like it was made by a professional. You even have the hydration (58%) in the range used by most pizza operators--even with the All Trumps, which can tolerate up to 63-65%. From your table of ingredients, I see that you used a bowl residue compensation of 1% in the Lehmann dough calculating tool, with a nominal thickness factor of 0.08. That puts your pizza into the "elite" NY style category. If your oven can handle it, you might try an 18" size sometime. That will make you think that you are in New York City 8).

Peter

Offline cd1168

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:38:50 PM »
perfect looking pizza... to me it looks like a new haven pie (xtra crispy)...  :)

congrats
with respect Chris

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:23:07 PM »
Here is the same exact dough formula... about 5 days or so in the frig
pepperoni and about 5.5oz part skim biazzo mozz.
"3 scoops" of sauce
took the dough out about 30 mins before making pie

I have a 16" stone on my grill, pre-heated grill to about 600 degrees on the temperature gauge in the lid
I have 4 burners and I center the stone over the middle 2.
I turn the middle 2 to low-med
and the 2 outside ones to med

Pie was stretched to a 16" screen
screen went right on stone on grill
this one took about 5-6 mins to cook.
When I do them on the grill the crust is really nice, very crispy and crunchy.. fantastic

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:03:22 AM by abilak »

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »
Check post above for grilled pizza pics!

Offline ManChicken

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 03:53:15 AM »
Well, I'm hungry  ;D

Offline Gags

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 12:25:02 AM »
Nice work - Those pix look great!  Diggin' the blistering too!
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 08:19:05 AM »
Ahhhh, blistering... Sometimes I stretch the dough, then use my olive oil squirt bottle and lightly coat the top of the dough, before putting the sauce on, which in this case is a reduced amount from what I normally use... That is sure to cause some blisters and create an extra crispy and in my opinion tastier crust.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »
Do you finish the pie on the stone directly or screen only for entire cooking process.
Sure looks good I just picked up some Biazzo Mozz. looks as though you slice it down?
Is you stone directly on grill or elevated on some type of rack? Lastly what type of stone? material?  is it?
 I grill year round so I am considering trying something new while the WFO is closed for the season :'(  I have a 42" Lynxx grill with pro sear that goes to 1000+ degrees so this could be interesting if the stone can hold up, and I am not throwing my wolf oven stove in there that thing was like 2 Large! I am looking for some All Trumps beside the 50# bag I can get, or mail order,Thats a lot a pies! Many Pizzerias in my NJ use that  flour I  now instinctively ask what ingredients guys use when I grab a slice. Hard to believe that just like  2 months ago it was  "its all the same isnt it?"
Thanks for the info.
John
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:51:01 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:47:06 AM »
Nah, I keep the pie on the screen the whole time, and usually turn in once in the 6-7 mins it takes to cook on the grill.
I throw the pie on when the grill temp gauge hits 620-650deg, normally.
I have a 16" stone that is about 5/8" thick, I don't know what it is made out of, but it is a commercial "pizza" stone.
I also have mexican saltillo tiles, 12" that I custom cut to fit my grill grate, leaving about 3" or so on the left and right side only.
Both the tiles and the stone go right on the grate, no rack. the tiles have cracked into a few pieces, but they easily fit together and they are not getting any worse.. the tiles are thinner at about 3/8 or so.. maybe a little thicker. The stone is exactly 16", so if I use my 16" screen, the sides of the pie get burned sometimes, so I went to the tiles.. I can go full 18" with them.
I cut the biazzo mozz into small cubes, and put them on the pie that way.. you probanly could slice it too, or grate.
I buy a 50# bag of all trumps about 4 times a year on average.. sometimes I get KA Sir Lancelot if I am looking for a change. It works great for bread and pizza.
cooking pizza on the grill is a little tricky, and it took me some time to get it down... i hardly ever have any type of issue at this point.. I estimate I have done over 200 pies on the grill so far. Good luck!
I will take some pics of my grill setup with the stone and tiles for you guys to check out. Oh yeah, I connected my grill to my natural gas line, and drilled out the valves.. so I don't have to keep getting propane.. I can sear the hell out of a steak too. I can get the flames a good 4-6" out of the top of the grates on full-on high.
Take care.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »
Thanks
I purchased 4 fire brick to get the stone up off the actual grill, as mentioned this bad boy has the pro sear element. The steak is unbelievable off that thing, thats how the steakhouses do it. I am so glad I went for that option. Some pics would be great of your set up
I like your formula and will be trying soon.
1 other ? do you hand kneed or anybody else feel free to chime in here can my Kitchen Aid 5qt. handle 1000G (total weight Batch) without blowin out?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 10:58:29 AM »
How thick are your fire bricks? Meaning how high do they elevate the stone off of the grates?
Searing steaks is the sh*t! I like mine pretty much rare, and just seared.
I use the mixer for 10 mins on speed 1, then split the dough balls, then hand knead for about 1 min per ball.. just to really stretch it tight, and smooth everything out... In my other thread, you can see pics of the large dough ball out of the mixer, then the 2 split after kneading.. there is a definite difference in texture...
As far as the mixer question.. I do 832g all the time with my KA 5qt. I don't think an extra 168g would cause a problem.. I just use the dough hook. no paddle.
I will have pics of the setup soon.