Author Topic: Perfetto cheese Bova Foods  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Spurkey

Perfetto cheese Bova Foods
« on: August 14, 2008, 12:50:25 PM »

Did a Bova run yesterday. I normally get the 30lb box of Grande but run into freezer space issues.

I decided to take a gamble on a product called PERFETTO from Leprino (Denver CO). It comes in a smaller 15lb box, it was a little cheaper but the smaller portion was the selling point for me. The Grande only comes in the 30 lb (shredded) case.

Sadly, this was a terrible mistake. In short, its not even close to the taste of Grande. My bad. FYI

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Perfetto cheese Bova Foods
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 02:10:18 PM »
Spurkey,

Leprino is a major supplier of cheeses to the big three chains, and many smaller ones also. I didn't see the words "mozzarella cheese" in the photo you posted. Is it possible that it is another type of cheese, or possibly a blend of some sort? Also, can you tell us if the label specifies any fillers or additives?

Peter

Offline Spurkey

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
Check it out.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 03:38:43 PM »
Spurkey,

When I was doing my research on the Papa John's pizza ingredients, I learned a lot about Leprino products. I suspected that your shredded mozzarella cheese had some additives because it is very difficult to make a shredded mozzarella cheese, either fresh or frozen, that will not clump and stick together when placed in the cheese containers of the stores of pizza operators. Leprino has a lot of patents, and one or more of them are for methods of adding flavors to their shredded or diced (comminuted) cheeses that are flash frozen for later use. I remember reading a long list of possible flavors. It is possible that it was one or more of the possible flavors that you did not like. More often, it is the texture of the melted cheese on the pizza that people object to because of the ingredients that are added to keep the shredded cheese from clumping.

Maybe you can use the Leprino cheese to make lasagna or eggplant parmigiana where there are other flavors that might mask the flavors of the Leprino cheese--that is, if the flavors were the problem. I think the Leprino cheese should also work texturally for these, or similar, applications.

Peter

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:53:04 PM »
Geeeee when I go to Bova I always get a 30lb case of Grande east cost blend Diced...
prices is around $93 the last time I was there a month ago....
Still you get alot of chesse for under $100.
I frezze mine and when I need a bag I take it out of the frezza a few days before I will use it.I have never seen a taste differance when you frezze the grande.......
Yummmmmm I enjoy making a small pie of pepperonii roll before I go to sleep with Grande.
I am afraid of using another brand like stella or pollyO from sams club....
I feel if you can get the best (grande} why change..

Is it me or are Bova Meatballs not that good?????Jt

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:56:30 PM by johnnytuinals »