Author Topic: How do you duplicate Lou's or Uno's type sausage?  (Read 11839 times)

Offline djryan1194

How do you duplicate Lou's or Uno's type sausage?
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »
Hi everyone -

In learning lots from this website, I finally have perfected my Uno's type deep dish pizza.  Got a great, crisp, flaky crust.  My sauce is great, and Stella Motz cheese does the trick.  However, I can't find good sausage to even come close to the taste of what Uno's and Lou's use.  I was told years ago they they bought their sausage from Anichini Bros in Chicago.  But I can't get it sent here in Ohio.  Anyone else discover anything that comes close to the same taste?

Thanks - Jen

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: How do you duplicate Lou's or Uno's type sausage?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:28:29 PM »
I only wish I had some answers for you on this but I don't.  It's a very mild sausage but I can't nail it down.  I've tried making my own sweet Italian sausage on a couple of occasions and it always seems off.  If you make any progress on this, please, I beg, let us all know. 

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline djryan1194

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 08:05:29 AM »
The best I've done (and its not that great) is to use Johnsonville plain bratwurst.  I mix in a little fresh crushed garlic and black pepper.  Then spread it in the "manhole" format over the cheese.  The fat content is way higher than the sausage Lou's uses, so it shrinks much more.  The taste isn't the same either.  Its not bad, just different.   :-\

Offline BTB

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:50:44 PM »
This is very difficult to answer, but all I know is that -- IMO -- Johnsonville bratwurst doesn't even come close.  At least that does nothing for me and my pizza tasters.  I go to a specialty Italian deli and get their best mild or sweet Italian sausage.  Then I go to a special European or Polish deli and get some of their best fresh Polish or Lithuanian sausage (I even have a deli around that makes homemade Hungarian sausage) and mix the sausage together for my Chicago deep dish pizzas.  My guests have raved about it.  But it's difficult to duplicate the great sausage that Lou's or Due's uses, but it comes close enough.

Offline djryan1194

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 10:09:26 AM »
Yeah, i totally agree that the Johnsonville is a terrible solution.  That's why I'm looking for help!  :D

I will use your idea.  We have a few good butcher shops and Italian Deli's around here.  I was afraid to use italian sausage because of all the spices.  Lou's sausage is so mild.  I like the idea of mixing it with another type.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll give it a go.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:07:24 PM »
Yeah, i totally agree that the Johnsonville is a terrible solution.  That's why I'm looking for help!  :D

I don't know.  I have used Johnsonville a lot and had people tell me "It's like I'm back home in Chicago."

Who knows. :-\
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 11:58:56 AM »
You know how to make great Italian sausage? Just use salt and pepper-and more salt than you'd think you should.

While I cant speak about Anichini Bros, other very famous sausage producers in Chicago, and 1 or 2 in NY that my family also knows do this. For sweet they'll put in some fennel seeds too, but that's it period. I know when I taste it I swear there is something else in there, but I have seen it made. Then the grind and emulsification are a whole nother thing. :chef:

As an aside story-there is something to be said about who is making this and their experience as well. Two guys came over w/ my grandpa and opened a bakery in Chicago. My family has been getting bread there for 65+ years. A year ago they finally retired in their late 80's but had been "apprenticing" new owners for 10 months. The bread is not as good, business has dramatically dropped off, and these guys swear they're doing everything exactly the way it was taught to them. I asked the former owner if they held something back, and they assured me no. Hmmm.

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 03:45:45 PM »
The best I've done (and its not that great) is to use Johnsonville plain bratwurst.  I mix in a little fresh crushed garlic and black pepper.  Then spread it in the "manhole" format over the cheese.  The fat content is way higher than the sausage Lou's uses, so it shrinks much more.  The taste isn't the same either.  Its not bad, just different.   :-\

Jen - do you not have Johnsonville Italian sausage, (one lb. bulk packages, not in casings ), where you purchase the J-ville Brats? (I like J-ville brats, but I wouldn't think to use that type of suasage for pizza).

I just made my first Chicago-style deep dish, (thanks to DKM's guide), using the Johnsonville mild italian sausage, and I thought the flavor of the sausage was good.

Jen - can you share your dough recipe, as I am looking for a flakier, richer crust to experiment with, although DKM's dough recipe worked out well for me. Many thanks.

- Bill 

Offline DonRon

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 06:55:02 PM »
I lived in Chicago for over 20 years (sadly I moved to AL and have NO GOOD PIZZA WHATSOEVER..do you know how crazy I'm going??!!) and most places use/have used Scala Italian Sausage exclusively.

Here's a link (it won't let me post the actual link):  scalasbeef dot com
Of course most pizzerias use it raw then let it cook with the pizza.

Now for a question for all of you guys/gals out there...there's a dough recipe I have been trying to duplicate from a place in Chicago called Anegelos  (on Montrose Ave between California & Kedzie).  I hear a rumor that they use milk to make the dough.  Anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks in advance.

Don Ron

Offline Bigdog Elliott

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 09:01:19 AM »
Try this and add whatever else you think I's a start in the right direction

* 4 lbs. pork shoulder (or pre-ground from the grocery in a pinch)
    * 4 tsp. salt
    * 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    * 4 tsp. fennel seed
    * Red pepper to taste, about 1 tsp.
                                                                        Hope I helped you out a little
                                                                                          BigdogElliott

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 05:57:13 PM »
Bigdog,

That's the recipe I use and it's great. There is NO GARLIC in Italian sausage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Andx0r

• Your Mega-Host
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 11:44:44 PM »
Bigdog,

That's the recipe I use and it's great. There is NO GARLIC in Italian sausage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are as many recipes for italian sausage as there are old italian grandmothers.  There are italian sausages that have garlic and no fennel at all, believe it or not. 

Offline Deacon Volker

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »
Until I find or develop something better, I've taken to using the Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage myself with good results.  I can only get the 1/4lb links here so I just slit the casings off and add just a bit more fennel for my taste.  It's a decent "go to" option for the time being anyway,  but when I get opened up I'll need to find a more cost effective product that's for sure.

Offline Mazz

• 186 miles SSW from Ginos East, Downtown Chicago
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »
I buy Bob Evan's Italian Sausage in a 1 lb. Chub package.  It seems to have less fat than some, and tastes fairly good.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »
Until I find or develop something better, I've taken to using the Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage myself with good results.  I can only get the 1/4lb links here so I just slit the casings off and add just a bit more fennel for my taste.  It's a decent "go to" option for the time being anyway,  but when I get opened up I'll need to find a more cost effective product that's for sure.

When my family made sausage we did not use corn syrup, dextrose, MSG, flavoring (?), BHA, propyl gallate or citric acid.

This is not to be critical, since I see you hope for something better. If possible I suggest everyone try to find a local market that makes fresh Italian sausage, or try to make your own. There is a difference.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 08:30:56 PM »
Here's my solution: At least as far as Uno's goes, you can get ground pork and mix in a little onion powder and garlic powder and black pepper and allspice, and that's about it. It's not a spicy sausage.
OR, what works for me is to get Lithuanian Sausage. Two problems.....it can't be any kind, and it's in Chicago (Evergreen park, to be exact.) AJ Meats in Evergreen Park has had the best Lithuanian Sausage for DECADES now. It may be a little coarse for some, but if you have a grinder, you can always re-grind a little finer. The info is:
AJ Meats Incorporated
(708) 422-4130
3541 W 99th St, Evergreen Park, IL 60805
Don't know if they ship, but good luck.

Offline Deacon Volker

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 09:30:51 PM »
@Apizza...Absolutely!  I wouldn't use it in my 'for real' place, especially since I'll be positioning myself as the local, "fresh" alternative to a couple of chain places! 

Offline thunderjones

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 01:48:25 PM »
I made one last night and used:

12 oz ground pork
2 tsp fennel
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp romano

I rolled it into one big patty and it worked like a charm.

Offline funcampin

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »
Hi all,

I just stumbled across your forum this morning.  I'm from Chicago suburbs and have been trying without much success at duplicating our favorite pizza from Lou Malnoti's.  I tried your recommended dough recipe and it was closer than my previous attempts, but since I was pretty impulsive today and wasn't able to chill it overnight, it wasn't what I was hoping for.  Next time, I'll let it chill for a while.

Anyway, I've noticed your discussions regarding Lou's sausage.  We eat it quite frequently and it DOES have quite a bit of garlic in it.  While my crust wasn't what I wanted, the sausage was.  I bought Fontinini Sausage from Sam's club.  It's our favorite.  Almost every grocery store in our area makes their own brand of italian sausage, so we are fortunate to have such a great selection.  But,  they really aren't much different from each other, and none of them really have as much garlic as Lou's pizza.   So when I made my pizza I added some.  I used three links for a 14 inch pie and added I guess between 1/8 and 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder. (sprinkled some in and mixed it up)| It tasted very much like Lou's sausage.

Thanks to you all for your great tips.  I do believe we are on the right track with our pizza making attempts!

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 11:42:53 PM »
I'm going to try to make my own bulk Italian sausage in the next day or 2
and found a recipe on RecipeZaar that looks promising.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Homemade-Bulk-Italian-Sausage-Chicago-Style-329000

Here's the text of the recipe:

"Homemade Bulk Italian Sausage, Chicago Style"

Ingredients:

* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    * 3 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    * 2/3 teaspoon garlic powder
    * 2/3 teaspoon fennel seed
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    * 1/2 teaspoon oregano
    * 1/2 teaspoon sage
    * 1/2 teaspoon basil
    * 1/2 teaspoon thyme
    * 1 lb ground lean pork

Directions

1. Blend together all of the ingredients with the exception of the ground pork until they are thoroughly and uniformly mixed.
   2. With your clean hands blend the mixture of seasonings into the ground pork until it is well and uniformly blended inches
   3. Place the sausage in the refrigerator overnight in a covered container so that the flavors can blend before use.

I'd appreciate some input on what I should keep or remove from the ingredients listed above.

For starters, I'm going to leave out the basil , oregano and red pepper flakes, as I don't think the first 2 belong in there and I'm leaving out the pepper flakes because I'm making a mild/sweet italian sausage.

(I do use basil in my deep dish pizza, but I mix that in with my tomatoes.)

What do you guys think about the rest of the spices?
Paprika?
Sage ? (I know they use this in breakfast sausage)
Thyme?
Garlic powder? (probably not a consistent ingredient, but that works for me)
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

pizzapan