Author Topic: northern virginia/maryland/dc: bulk food sources that are cheap?  (Read 7427 times)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
northern virginia/maryland/dc: bulk food sources that are cheap?
« on: December 04, 2008, 07:35:08 PM »
I moved to NOVA in August, from Seattle, and am looking to restart my pizza kitchen to its former greatness.  In Seattle, we had a restaurant supplier that was open to the public ("Cash and Carry") which was priced better than any of the local grocery stores, and had the bulk supplies one cooking pizza may need---without any "membership fees."  Just curious if there is a NOVA (or metro DC for that matter) analogue?

I am not looking for Italian or a pizza grocer necessarily.  Just would like to find a place that sells general bulk food supplies.  Thanks.

Offline Fingerstyle

Re: northern virginia/maryland/dc: bulk food sources that are cheap?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:08:18 AM »
I used to find some cheese deals in Potomac Md at the Co-op on Macarthur. My sources for Italian products were Marchiones in Sliver Spring, and The Italian Store in Falls Church. I'll bet with some persistence, and maybe a few inquiries at some better pizza joints, you'll find cash and carry suppliers. I scarfed many a Greenlake and Pizza My Heart pie when I lived in Seattle. Good luck.
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo

Offline Billy R

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 02:35:43 PM »
I moved to NOVA in August, from Seattle, and am looking to restart my pizza kitchen to its former greatness.  In Seattle, we had a restaurant supplier that was open to the public ("Cash and Carry") which was priced better than any of the local grocery stores, and had the bulk supplies one cooking pizza may need---without any "membership fees."  Just curious if there is a NOVA (or metro DC for that matter) analogue?

I am not looking for Italian or a pizza grocer necessarily.  Just would like to find a place that sells general bulk food supplies.  Thanks.

Hi ihavezippers.

Have you tried Restaurant Depot in Alexandria? There are a few other places in NE DC that sell wholesale or do cash and carry. The Depot is probably your best bet. Good luck! :D

Billy
"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."
General George S. Patton

Offline BigSteve

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:27:37 AM »
I found a source of supply in Baltimore just last weekend while I was visiting my brother.  It's Prima Foods at 51 Kane Street, Baltimore, MD 21224.  They're a food distributor, but they also have a retail store at their distribution center.  The retail shop is small and focused on Greek foods, but they have a service window where you can request other items from their warehouse stock.  I asked if they carried General Mills' All Trumps flour and they were more than happy to sell me a 50lb. bag for about $18.00.    If you Google the name, you'll find that they have an extensive (but non-exhaustive) product listing online.  I'd post a direct link to their site, but I'm a new user on Pizza Making and can't post links yet.

Prima is located right off I-95.  Their website provides the following directions for people approaching from the south:
    * Take I-95 North towards north Baltimore
    * Take the Eastern Ave exit 59 - go 0.3 mi
    * Turn left at Eastern Ave - go 0.3 mi
    * Turn right at Kane St - go 0.7 mi

You can call them at (410) 633-5500.  The retail store is open 8-5 M-F and 9-1 on Saturdays.

You might also be interested to know that Wegmans Supermarket just started carrying DOP-certified San Marzano tomatoes.  Wegmans is based in New York State (where I live), but they have a store in Virginia at 14801 Dining Way, Woodbridge, VA 22191.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 09:33:19 AM »
The Prima Foods link: http://www.primafoodsinc.com/.

Peter

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »
Lol---thanks for the posts about Prima Foods and Restaurant Depot.  I wish I would have checked it out earlier---I drove up to Pittsburgh yesterday solely for the purpose of going to Penn Mac (4 hour drive one-way) to pick up a 50lb bag of All Trumps and a case of RedPack... oh well, it was a nice road trip I guess.

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 08:42:09 AM »
I found a source of supply in Baltimore just last weekend while I was visiting my brother.  It's Prima Foods at 51 Kane Street, Baltimore, MD 21224.  They're a food distributor, but they also have a retail store at their distribution center.  The retail shop is small and focused on Greek foods, but they have a service window where you can request other items from their warehouse stock.  I asked if they carried General Mills' All Trumps flour and they were more than happy to sell me a 50lb. bag for about $18.00.    If you Google the name, you'll find that they have an extensive (but non-exhaustive) product listing online.  I'd post a direct link to their site, but I'm a new user on Pizza Making and can't post links yet.

Prima is located right off I-95.  Their website provides the following directions for people approaching from the south:
    * Take I-95 North towards north Baltimore
    * Take the Eastern Ave exit 59 - go 0.3 mi
    * Turn left at Eastern Ave - go 0.3 mi
    * Turn right at Kane St - go 0.7 mi

You can call them at (410) 633-5500.  The retail store is open 8-5 M-F and 9-1 on Saturdays.

You might also be interested to know that Wegmans Supermarket just started carrying DOP-certified San Marzano tomatoes.  Wegmans is based in New York State (where I live), but they have a store in Virginia at 14801 Dining Way, Woodbridge, VA 22191.

There is a Wegmans 2 blocks from my house (Fairfax VA).  I have not had any luck with the San Marzano tomatoes, but I will check them out.  Thanks

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:49 AM »
I have started using Cento San Marzanos from Costco for $3.69 a can...a great compromise vs. spending $5 a for a small can of DOP's...the costco in Fairfax should carry them...

you should also try the Whole Foods at Fair Lakes too.
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi