Author Topic: 6-1 tomatoes in fridge  (Read 4345 times)

Offline Chet

6-1 tomatoes in fridge
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:18:15 PM »

I probably should call Escalon on this, but has anyone stored the leftover 6-1 tomatoes from a #10 can in the fridge, I just got my order from Pensey's seasonings, going to try some of their Pizza seasonings to the 6-1, any favorite recipes using the pensey's seasonings, I am going to try 1 tsp for 2 cups right out of the can, how does that sound. should I let it set in the fridge a few hrs.

Chet

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: 6-1 tomatoes in fridge
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:26:07 AM »
Chet:

I've stored the 6-in-1's in the fridge and they can last a fairly good time, but I would not push it past 3-4 weeks MAX. 

Let us know what you think of the Penzey's pizza spice mix.  I am fortunate enough to have an actual Penzey's store not too far from where I live and have tried the mix with a couple of my pizza sauces.  I'd be interested to know what you think (and  how much you use).

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »
Chet,
 I now get the 6 in 1 #10 can $3.79 !! I went 2 1/2 weeks still fine. Lotta pizzas isnt it? I imagine I could freeze for a short time , But I opted to make more deep dish pizzas and use it to make other pizza sauces. see their web site for sauce recipies and As for Penzey's I think its some of the best spices out there. Let us know how you make out and quantities you try.
John
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:20:40 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BTB

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:09:46 AM »
Chet,

My experience has been that it keeps well in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 to 3 weeks.  Afterwards it gets "iffy" very fast.   My experience with freezing 6 in 1, tho, had been so unsatisfactory that I wouldn't do it again.  It seems to affect the feel, taste and character of the tomatoes in an undesirable way.  Only experience can show that to someone, tho.  For deep dish pizzas, I often add some small diced tomatoes (various brands) to give it a more chunky sauce.

Your idea of about 1 tsp of Penzey's pizza seasoning to 2 cups is pretty good.  I vary that . . . sometimes more, sometimes less . . . as I taste the sauce on my finger with all the ingredients in it.  I generally use it right away and don't let it "age" or set with the sauce, but that's an individual thing if one thinks it enhances the sauce.  I don't. 

To my 6 in 1 for thin crust pizzas, I also add about a half tsp of white pepper, a dash of ground ginger, roughly a tsp or two of minced garlic, a "pinch" of fennel seed and a "pinch" of Anise seed (both crushed with a spoon -- careful not to use too much as these are very powerful flavor enhancer's), a good dash of honey and sometimes a dash of olive oil.  As this picture shows, I also experimented with adding a dash of coriander lately and that turned out pretty good.  You can try various herbs and spices to see what you like.  And, of course, this all varies depending on the size of the pizza. 

Have fun deciding what's best for your tastes.  I know there are many on this site who would say "less is best" and who knows . . . they might be right.

--BTB

Edit -- Opps, forgot you need to salt to your taste, a tsp or so.  I like sea salt the best, but it varies.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 04:21:18 PM by BTB »

Offline pcuezze

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 12:52:29 AM »
BTB - I've been using your recipe ( with some variation) but have found an additional ingredient that has been universally enjoyed - siracha sauce.  Several commented on how sweet my sauce was and, without honey, how bitter it was.  I tried crushed red pepper but it was to much.  The siracha (in about the same amount as honey) adds a fantastic kick to the sauce.  You would never guess it's in there, but you'll know something is different about it...

pizzapan