Author Topic: Three Bean Turkey chili pie/pizza?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Three Bean Turkey chili pie/pizza?
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »
As an alternative to the heavy cheese and peperoni pizza here is an alternative that really worked out well. I searched the forum and found a post from 2007  Chile con carne pizza but I think being as it was drained it was a totally different type of chili. So..
This weekend I made a Chicago thin crust w/ semolina posted by BTB. I made the recipe exact for a 14" cutter pan. Well I only have 1 10" cutter pan and 2 9inch deep dish ??? Peter informed me that I had enough for at least 2 - 9+ inch skins. I was cooking up some chili for sundays game after a cold icy saturday and it occured to me that this mixture would work perfect for a deep dish crust. and DID IT!
chili recipe went like this

1 Lb Lean ground Turkey
1 small onion
1 28 Oz can red pack diced tomatoes
1 15oz can red beans
1 15 oz can kidney beans
1 15 oz can black beans
1 8 oz can tomatoe sauce
1/2 28 oz can 6 in 1 tomatoes
1 4oz can diced green chili
2 tbs chili powder

Let me tell you this is not some wendys $.99 chili or spicy chili cook off stuff. Its a nice flavorfiul healthy (new years resolution -pizza) meal. Good comfort food for any day of the week.
Anyway the the crust texture was perfect for the filling and I happen to have a 9 inch deep dish with the proper dough ready to go.
Put a layer of sharp cheddar down first (see pic #1) with true chicago style where cheese goes first filled with the chili and topped with a bit more Shredded cheddar. instaed of parmasean
Baked at 20 min at 450 and I have to tell yo I was quite impressed with this creation  really good! please enjoy the pictures beloow my stomach did!  :P
First time I ever picked up a slice of chili!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 07:57:17 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Re: Three Bean Turkey chili pie/pizza?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:14:42 AM »
OMG!!! AWESOME! :chef:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:54:02 AM »
Wow...what a concept you have there.

That sounds like a slice of heaven to my mouth, and pretty kind to the waistline.

That looks ridiculously delicious.  I would throw a dollop of fat free sour cream on that and mow down.

For someone who has never made chili before would you mind giving a rough breakdown on how that recipe comes together (I know it seems like a stupid question, but I'd hate to mess up a recipe by not draining the beans properly or something).

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:41:34 AM »
John,

That's a spectacular looking pie. Congratulations.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:55:49 AM »
Wow thank you all for your kind words. Means a lot coming from a real master of the art.  I did not start out to make this pie at all, really it was a total after thought. When I realized I would have enough dough (thanks Pete) and I was stirring the chili for 6 hrs. and saw the consistency, it was a no brainer. If I knew how to make a dough for bread bowl I would try that too. I still have 3 Tupperwares full !

ps.
Everything  I have learned I credit to this site exclusively.  I would never have had the thought to do this pie or the crust recipe to support the filling without the constant learning.
Thanks everybody again for all the support I plan to keep experimenting with the various  precipices available here throughout the winter months, and just to let you know Peter, PJs is coming up on the list! Still have to finish reading 5 or 10 pages to get it right ;D
John

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:42:03 AM »
John,

One of the things your recent results demonstrates is the versatility of a cutter pan. I think that BTB and I have beat the drum the most on the forum on the value of a cutter pan, since we have used it for several different types of pizzas, but what you did shows that a cutter pan can also be used to make a shallow deep-dish pizza. As I have noted before, if I had to pick only one method of baking all of the pizzas I make, it would be a dark, anodized nonperforated cutter pan. I feel that I could adapt just about any type of pizza to such a cutter pan in a way that I would be satisfied with the finished products. That means no pizza stone/tiles or screens.

Peter

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »
That's the first chili pizza I have ever seen-talk about uncharted territory! Next time Fritos on top, and finish uder the broiler. :chef:
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:19:26 AM »
Peter,
I too LOVE the cutter pans! My new 14" is on the way from www.Pizzatools.com

Are you speaking of this Chili Pizza? I will be posting the pictures of the cutter pan in use on the Chicago Style Thin Crust with Semolina thread by BTB thread later on tonight, However, I did not use a cutter pan for this Chili pie. this dough I pressed out by hand placed in lightly crisco pan finished spreading with fingers, and pulled up the edges as in Chicago style into my 9" x 1 1/2" Black buster pan by allied metals. On the Home Run Inn I cut an extra 3/4" around the 14" deep dish I had. I will try to do better with my picture taking.
John

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »
Yes Jeff uncharted,
 As mentioned I could find only 1 or 2 posts searching the forum after I decided to give it a go.
The crust takes place of the Notch yo chips (there mine) If I liked sour cream that idea would make a nice topping along with some fresh quacamole from the finest Avocados.  Wholly Molly this is going to be a big Mexican mess soon :o
I won't be able to taste the chili by the time we are done :'(

John

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
Are you speaking of this Chili Pizza?

John,

My mistake. You mentioned so many pan sizes that I got confused between your 10" cutter pan and your 9" deep-dish pans. You would have to adjust the amounts of fillings to use your cutter pan.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:37:57 PM »
Sorry for that Peter that was a lot of pans, I was trying to put forth how I ended up with the dough to make this pie, also trying to be a bit more detailed at the explanation part, the eating part is allways  easy !