Author Topic: Low Budget Infrared thermometer  (Read 2322 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Low Budget Infrared thermometer
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:17:42 PM »
Hey all this is pretty cheap on sle for $29.99!if anyone has been looking for n IR themometer to check stone/oven temp.....
Just thought Id' put it on. I have one already  a fluke from work.
Handy piece of equip to mess with. If the shippings too much I have store hear in NJ close by, probably $5.00 fix price box would work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451

John
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:21:20 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
Re: Low Budget Infrared thermometer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »
John,
As has been noted on this forum before, there have been issues with Harbor Frieght.  My husband (the gear-head) seldoms buys from them because the quality leaves something to be desired.  You can get good stuff, you can get bad stuff.  The problem is, you won't know which it is until after it's in your hands.  Just a heads-up... seems the rule that "you get what you pay for" is at play here.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:16:28 PM »
Sd,
 I agree, they have some good and some bad stuff.  I just thought if someone did not want to drop $100 bucks they could get (maybe) an IR temp reading. I also read somewhere where someone was happy with that one? Too many posts to keep track of.
BTW I am a total gadget guy so I like your hubby already! you any Pizzas coming out soon ? a sicilian perhaps? or a good bread recipe for me to try? No starter for me yet My dog ate it  after it came to life for 2 days :'(
Thanks for the caution.
John

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:54:04 PM »
Hey, John
Even though it's not really funny, I had to chuckle over your dog eating your starter because.... shortly after I brought our Corgi home, I went grocery shopping and left a couple 5 lb bags of flour sitting on the floor.... next thing I know, the dog comes to me with his muzzle all white!!  I learned something new that day!  Dogs will eat flour... and he ate enough that I was sure he was going to leave "biscuits" in the yard!  LOL!

I actually have a sicilian-style Tommy's dough in the fridge, made with a new ingredient, suggested to me by a new member, NepaBill.  I will make it tomorrow and post my results on my Tommy's thread... "film at 11" as they say!  I made a loaf of bread with my own Puget Sound starter (that's another topic!) early this week... the flavor of the starter is good, which is the crucial element, but I still need to work on the bread recipe... "previews of coming attractions!"

I also seem to recall that someone got a good IR thermometer from HF, but also don't remember the details.  I think with HF, it's the luck of the draw.  Sometimes you bite the bear and sometimes the bear bites you!

~sd

Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 07:40:58 AM »
SD ,
Anxiously waiting the Sicilian and the bread shots. I really want to get a starter going and take the next step in to making some nice breads with the residual heat of the WFO. The problem is after 20- 30 pies and the various wine tasting well you know it takes a bit of focus. I plan  to try refiring the next am while its still ashes and (I can focus) going and build up slowly to the 450 range for bread?
Thanks
JC
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:43:04 AM by JConk007 »

pizzapan