Author Topic: ConAgra Magnifico high gluten flour & Full Red Pizzaletto sauce  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

ConAgra Magnifico high gluten flour & Full Red Pizzaletto sauce
« on: February 07, 2009, 09:07:31 AM »
I purchased 25#ís of ConAgra Magnifico high gluten flour, a can of  Full Red (Pizzaletto) Cacciatore sauce which I mixed with a simple spice recipe from correllconcepts.com.

The pie will be getting a light sprinkling of Romano and then be covered with shredded Grande Mozzarella.

I made the dough yesterday along with the sauce - utilized my typical dough recipe which usually doubles in 24 hours using KABF. I used the ConAgra flour and it did not double. It grew only about 50% with instant dry yeast (fresh date) and the usual amount of table sugar I use in the dough recipe.

Iím going to make a pie for lunch - Iím kind of curious how it will turn out
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:18:29 PM by Y-TOWN »

Offline Y-TOWN

Re: ConAgra Magnifico high gluten flour & Full Red Pizzaletto sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 12:10:09 PM »
Here are the photos of the first pie.

Convection oven at 550* - I pre-baked the crust with olive oil and fresh garlic for a little less than three minutes on the bottom rack on a holed silver pan which is cured. Took the dough out of the oven and sauced it, sprinkled some/a little Romano cheese on it, put the Grande shreaded on it and added the pepperoni. I then put a little oregano crushed in my fingers on it.

Back in the oven without the pan directly on the middle rack for about 2 minutes. I pulled it off the rack with the handy tool my son made me in cub scouts in 1998, looked at it and gave it 1 minute without the pan on the bottom rack.

The taste was exactly the same as most NY street pizza slices I've had. If I had to pay $3 or so for the slice from a vendor I would have not complained.

Best pie I've made in some 30 years. I could not taste any particular spice in the sauce after the bake (I've been told when that happens you've got a keeper). The ConAgra high gluten flour was worth the trip. Really EZ to work with and pan after initial two hour room ferment and a little less than 20 hours in the basement beer refrigerator. I took this dough out at 9AM this morning to bring it to room temperature.

I may fool around with the sauce a little (maybe some wild hot pizza spice I just purchased on eBay for $1.39 per ounce) but in general I think I've hit it to my liking.

I have another pug in the refrigerator alongside the sauce (Iíll need to bag the excess sauce and freeze it on Sunday - Iíll report how it thaws).

I should be able to tell if an extra 24 hours on both the sauce and dough is noticeable in the taste. All and all, a great day in my kitchen.

The photos are unbaked, sauce mixture, pre-baked skin just out of the oven, pre-baked skin sauced, finished pie, finished pieís bottom. You'll notice I got a fairly good oven spring on this skin.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:29:44 PM by Y-TOWN »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »
Very nice, Richard. Best pizza you've made in 30 years is saying a lot.

Can you set forth or point us to the dough recipe you used, and tell us how much dough you used and the size of the pizza?

Peter

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »
Peter,

16 inch pan - I didnít weigh the dough but I got two generally equal dough balls from this recipe. I was going to weigh them but my scale was already cleaned up and put away.

29 oz ConAgra by weight
2 cups of water by measuring cup
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 packet of IDY
1 Tablespoon of table sugar
2 teaspoons of table salt

Water, and all ingredients first, whisked and sat for 5 minutes. I think you mix immediately but that was the approximate time it took me to get the scale and weigh the flower.

Add the flour and mix on low for about two minutes or so (until it forms up) - rest for 20 minutes - final 3 minutes on speed 2 on the bigger motored Kitchen Aid mixer. 

The store I purchased the ConAgra from had plastic bags for $3 for 50 or 100 units. I donít know how many I purchased as there was no count on the package but there were a number of them in the pack - I think they are for bread makers - perfect to set the dough into for refrigerator fermenting.

This dough was super EZ to work with - the final product had great oven spring which produced a good amount of voids. Not as much size doubling as when I used KABF - I have no idea why.

I think on tomorrowís pie I'll back the sauce off about two tablespoons - the pie was slightly heavy on sauce for me (I think - tomorrowís pie will tell.).

The dough has never been a problem for me it has always been about the sauce.

Iíve made about every recipe I could find and found I liked each new creation less.

The Full Red with a simple spice addition from correllconcepts.com made this pie a #1 recipe keeper. Iíll definitely keep on using the #10 cans and play with the sauce a little more. I donít know how this sauce mixture will freeze - thatís what Iím waiting to see - may really water up when defrosted.

Rich
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:52:31 PM by Y-TOWN »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 02:21:05 PM »
OK Pete so whats the thickness factor ? Thats not bromated right? You par bake because you have no stone right? Youve got a sub 6 minute pizza there is that because pof the convection? The sauce looks a bit heavy but perfect for the thickness of the dough it seems to support it beautifully.  Nice full crust rim too! take a cross section of a slice for us viewers please Nice Work!
JOhn
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:24:23 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 03:04:01 PM »
John,

Richard made this one fairly easy for me. Specifically, he gave the weight of flour, which is usually the toughest component, especially if given by volume rather than weight. Richard did not give a weight for the two cups of water, but most people tend to just eyeball the amount in the measuring cup and that tends to be around 8.2 ounces per cup. So, for my purposes, I used 8.2 ounces, by weight, per cup of water. Doing a few more conversions and using the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html, I came up with the following:

Flour (100%):
Water (56.5517%):
IDY (0.86206%):
Salt (1.35775%):
Olive Oil (3.28407%):
Sugar (1.45474%):
Total (163.51032%):
Single Ball:
822.15 g  |  29 oz | 1.81 lbs
464.94 g  |  16.4 oz | 1.03 lbs
7.09 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.35 tsp | 0.78 tbsp
11.16 g | 0.39 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2 tsp | 0.67 tbsp
27 g | 0.95 oz | 0.06 lbs | 6 tsp | 2 tbsp
11.96 g | 0.42 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3 tsp | 1 tbsp
1344.3 g | 47.42 oz | 2.96 lbs | TF = 0.117919
672.15 g | 23.71 oz | 1.48 lbs

You will note from the above table that the thickness factor, which I calculated on the basis of using 23.71 ounces of dough for a 16" pizza, comes to 0.117914. That would usually be considered to be a medium thick crust.

One of the things I was looking for was the amount of yeast. As you may have noted, the finished crust has a lot of blistering. This is a subject that has engendered a lot of debate, but my position has been that the cause of blistering is a long fermentation, possibly on the cusp of overfermenting. Using a lot of yeast, as Richard did, is one way to get to that point. I can't say absolutely that the high amount of yeast for a fermentation period of about 22 hours was responsible for the blistering but it seems to play reasonably well into the thesis that I, and November as well, have advanced on this point.

I believe the ConAgra flour is bromated.

Peter

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 03:23:51 PM »
OK Pete so whats the thickness factor ? Thats not bromated right? You par bake because you have no stone right? Youve got a sub 6 minute pizza there is that because pof the convection? The sauce looks a bit heavy but perfect for the thickness of the dough it seems to support it beautifully.  Nice full crust rim too! take a cross section of a slice for us viewers please Nice Work!
JOhn

John,

The seller of the 25# bag I purchased guaranteed it was not bromated - I do not know.

I have over 10 stones including a FibraMent Baking Stone which I think is junk - It cracked about the third time I used it - called the factory and they could care less. I'm one of the few members of this board who do not recommend the FibraMent Baking Stone.

I use the stones outside on my grill, 2-stone and another oven I use during the summer when the snow is not two foot deep  :)

The convection oven without a stone works better for me as I have less warm-up time when baking inside. The method I use appears to take the moisture out of the pie, similar to a stone in approximately 1/2 the warm-up time. Again I use a convection oven.

The sauce was a bit heavy, I think. I'll try another bake in the morning with the sauce and dough aged another 24 hours. I am going to lighten up on the sauce a bit to see if it is something I like - don't know as this was my first experience with this sauce recipe.

Here are the side shots you requested

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »
The seller of the 25# bag I purchased guaranteed it was not bromated - I do not know.

I was relying on scott r's Reply 1 in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7246.msg62524.html#msg62524. It's possible that there is a difference between the Magnifico and Magnifico Special flours.

Peter

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
I was relying on scott r's Reply 1 in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7246.msg62524.html#msg62524. It's possible that there is a difference between the Magnifico and Magnifico Special flours.

Peter

Peter,

I purchased this bag as a split into plastic from the original bag. I just read to label on my split bag.

It says in big print       "Unbleached"
                               (Unbromated)

The fine print on the label states "Potassium Bromate"

I think this is Bromated flower and the store that broke down the bag mislabeled it

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »
Nice shots ! My wolf has an element you plug in on bottom when using "bake strone" and cooks in the convetion fan on mode when you select Bake stone. It works reallywell and aftar 45 min the stone reads over 600 Your technique is working fine !
Keep em coming good lck burning up the flour ;D
john
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:26:42 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 05:08:13 PM »
Here is the second day dough. The dough was much tastier. The sauce sadly faded after two days in the refrigerator. Lost the taste from the spices I had put in originally. I figured the sauce would taste better after a few days - it tasted like straight from the can.

Here are some of the photos of the 48 hour + dough

#1 is the pie
 #2 is a slice side view
 #3 is another slice side view
 #4 is a view of the bottom of a slice with my mini-Dachshund hoping I drop it - he is a pizza pig
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 05:12:01 PM by Y-TOWN »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 09:02:32 PM »
great looking pie, but I can tell from looking at the crumb structure that it is bromated.  Thats why you like the flour so much!

pizzapan