Author Topic: 1 hr and a half pizza from mix to bake! Came out great.  (Read 312 times)

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
1 hr and a half pizza from mix to bake! Came out great.
« on: May 13, 2015, 07:00:46 PM »
Ok so been reading around a lot and trying different things. I finally through the help on here got a nice CF dough that baked well but I just don't have the fridge room to store dough in. I was looking around and found some links on emergency dough recipes. I ended up tracing back to this thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7892.msg81840#msg81840

Yesterday I tried this method and let me tell you disaster! Smoke alarms all over. I do not agree with mixing, then setting, then dividing "maybe I shouldn't have balled?", and baking shortly after. The dough was horrible to work with did not stretch well at all and got too thin in middle. I tried using it anyhow, disaster! Dough too thin burnt on bottom and all toppings fell through "on steel" as I tried to remove it from oven.

So today I wanted to try again but different! This is what I did.

347g KASL flour
208g water
5.3g ADY
   6g sea salt
 15g sugar
 10g EVOO

I first proofed the ADY for 10 minutes in 100g of water added a pinch of sugar.

I took 105 g water (left 3 out for later) and dumped the salt and sugar in then dumped the flour on top. Gave it a 15 second mix or so. "Kitchen Aid Mixer"

I added the proofed yeast, and then used the remaining 3 grams water to rinse yeast out of cup and dump in mixture. Yes I just guessed on the 3 grams here, just added a little water to get reaming yeast mixture out of cup.

I mixed briefly maybe 20 seconds then added the oil. I then continued mixing for like 5 minutes.

I oiled a container while it was mixing, then when done I balled well and set out to rise for 1 hr. After an hour I preheated my oven to 550 for 30 minutes. Made a simple just sauce and cheese and baked for 6 minutes as usual.

It came out awesome! The middle did get a bit thinner than I would like so I will need to add another 100g or so. I am shooting for a 16". I figure I will just add 1/4 of everything to the recipe and that should be pretty good for thickness I desire.

I did notice that my crust was much softer than from the CF. It was still chewy but this time was not tough. I think I like this way better. I will make another tomorrow and take pics. I will probably let it rise a little longer as well to get more air in the crust for better oven spring.

I did change my sauce from Contadina to just plain San Marzano tomatoes. The Contadina has too much in it. I simply blended the tomatoes, strained lots of water out and added oregano. I then put sauce on pie added garlic salt and more oregano "didn't think I added enough at first".

This pizza did make a very nice NY style thin crust but I want it a little thicker. I have a few slices left I snapped some pics off. Bottom was almost cooked too much but was fine didn't taste burnt, once I add a bit more thickness too it it should bake up better.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:46:07 PM by icemanxp300 »

Offline SLCpizzamaster

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 1 hr and a half pizza from mix to bake! Came out great.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »
I have made pizzas that fast and they came out OK, BUT I felt that the dough didn't have that great flavor I am used to from a CF.

How was your dough flavor?

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 1 hr and a half pizza from mix to bake! Came out great.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
So made a few more tonight. I just doubled the above recipe but this time let sit out 2 1/2 hrs before cooking. After 2 hr rise preheated oven for 30 min.

Much better results by just letting dough rise longer. It was very loose. I do think a CF dough develops stronger structure that helps the dough.

As far as dough taste not really sure what you are looking for here. It compares about the same to a CF as far as air pockets and such. Like I said earlier though it is not as firm meaning it is easier to eat. The CF is just a tougher dough.

pizzapan