Author Topic: NY to Neo-NY - or opposite direction  (Read 316 times)

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
NY to Neo-NY - or opposite direction
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:15:24 AM »
Hello everyone. I've been baking up some fine Classic NY style pies using traditional temperatures inside and outside. That temperature range for me is 535F to 575F, and about 20 degrees less on inside SD efforts. I did a bake last night and goofed my timing and ended up at 595F launch. It was on the too chewy side. I run that risk due to formulation. 600F and up launches always gives me a bit too chewy a crust with my current formulation.

That got me wondering last night what everyone else would do it going from a classic street style pie in classic deck ovens at 550F to a 650F oven. Let's say some weird scenario where an oven-fairy came to your house and zapped your oven and now you can bake like Difara's.

For myself, I know I would start with upping the water and probably adding oil. I might even mix a bit less and go smaller on the TF. I'm at 59% water, no oil and mix for a long time using All Trumps. (which I adore, btw)

So, what would you do? If you already do neo, how about the opposite direction? What if a mean oven-fairy punished you for not playing along with hypothetical games and lowered your oven to 530F?   :-D 
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline dflip

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NY to Neo-NY - or opposite direction
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »
Hi rparker.  All great questions.  The most important thing I've learned about making pizza thus far, is that the details count.  Even small variations in ingredients, measurements, temp, fermentation time, and humidity all will affect the outcome.  I have purchased a Baker's Pride counter top model and now launch at 625-640 deg. I rewired it so I can plug it into my standard oven outlet.  I must say that it has upped my pizza game tremendously and I hover around 62% hydration.  I also am fond of All Trumps and find that it gives the perfect balance I am going for between a crispy exterior with a slightly chewy bite on the inside.  Caputo does not give me the proper browning I like.  I have also found that the higher temp allows my cheese to bubble and cook faster.  I run less risk of over cooking or burning the crust.  My standard oven gets to 530 deg and produces good crust, but I can say it has been night and day cranking the BP oven to 640 deg.  10 minute bake on my standard oven at 530.  6 minute bake at 640 deg with the BP.  I am also interested on what hydration others are going with at a 600 deg plus temp.  Thanks.  D.

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 05:16:02 PM »
dflip where did you purchase that oven if I may ask?  pretty cool!  :)
Jeff

Offline dflip

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 05:29:40 PM »
Hey jvp.  Found one on craigslist from a pizzeria that went out of business in downtown Washington, D.C.   $400, but had to buy new stones for $70.  New cord to plug it in was $12 from Home Depot. Still a pretty good deal imo. Those ovens go for around $2200 new.  It's bigger than it looks and doesn't really fit on my kitchen counter hence the cart in the photo.  It does make all the difference.  Thanks.

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »
Yeah looks killer congrats!  Not many people can say they have that going on.  My wife might give me a look if I asked her if I could put that in our kitchen though ...  :-D
Jeff

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »
That is one fine looking pie!

What size cart is that oven on?

Regards,
Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline dflip

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 12:06:38 PM »
Thanks for the kudos Anthony.  It is pretty big.  About 30" x 26" rated at 1000 lbs.  It is on casters for me to roll into position.

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:30:28 AM »
That's a serious oven. Kudos!

..........and now launch at 625-640 deg. ...... I must say that it has upped my pizza game tremendously and I hover around 62% hydration. 
I played some at that range, but not since my mixing and dough handling skills improved. I thought about that a bit and made a batch a little bit closer to where I was back then. Baby steps on this one. I went 60% water and 1.5% oil. It should by me a little bit of head room for now.

......I also am fond of All Trumps and find that it gives the perfect balance I am going for between a crispy exterior with a slightly chewy bite on the inside.  Caputo does not give me the proper browning I like. ....
I've tried some Caputo (red bag) at various percentages and liked it every time. I bake with Blackberry Honey and LDM, so browning is less of n issue with me that others. The caputo gives me a soft bite and a little better spring in the taper area.   

I have also found that the higher temp allows my cheese to bubble and cook faster.....
That cheese and sauce bubble is a primary factor for me. I don't have that, or if I put too much cold cheese on, my pie is only average at best. I want to look at my pies at the -minute mark and see them rumbling. That's at mid-500's.

Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.