Author Topic: help please  (Read 285 times)

Offline PIZZA 505

• I Love Pizza!
help please
« on: June 13, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »
Hey guys my name is Bo I am need of advice and any constructive criticism i can get. I am a lifelong Hospitality work BOH/FOH (back of house/front of house) and i am opening up a small shop in Central America(Nicaragua). I have all my chips in on this venture so failure is not an option. I have experience as a line cook (10 years) but very little baking experience and i might have chewed off a bit more than I can swallow when it comes to the dough making process. The concept i have in mind is a New York style quick take out-by the slice  operation (35sq meters)with a few tables indoors and a few outside in a small terrace. I need the pizza to be great quality but I need to be able to sell it as cheap as possible. Nicaragua is a poor developing country so there are a people with money but a lot more that dont have much. I am on a very busy street both by foot and by car so I WANT TO CATER TO ALL! I will be using a Peerless C 131 Counter top Pizza Oven. It has 4 decks and even though I know that all 4 decks will not produce the same amount of heat this is my only option due to the size of my shop and I am working on a strict budget. I am having trouble with my dough I keep trying diferent recipes  and I constantly get it wrong . The dough is too sticky and wont stretch. I have very few options when it comes to flour here in Nicaragua. There is Arina de trigo (wheat flour for making bread) and i dont have the option of shipping in King Arthurs from the states. The only time i have been able to get better dough that i can stretch is when i use the flieshmnans pizza crust yeast and i use their online recipe! I know i must sound like an idiot but I did not thing I was going to have this much trouble on just the dough!!! I seriously underestimated the task at hand can any offer any good advice? ???

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Where is summer?
    • My WFO project
Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 04:00:55 PM »
You are in the right place for help. Can you give us your recipe and full work flow, with that info you should get the help you need. Hopefully Peter can chime in on your flour dilemma, he's very savvy on world four availability.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:20:09 PM »
Don't start the buisness yet, just don't.

I'm not being mean, but it will take you weeks or of day in, day out experimenting to get a great pizza you can work with.
Pizza making is very difficult honestly, please take your time and take advice from others here, don't rush.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 06:18:09 PM »
Pizza 505,

Contact these guys either by e-mail or phone and see what they offer in terms of a high-gluten flour:

http://www.agricorp.com.ni/

Second, forget the Peerless oven. It's not sufficient for your business. Go with a small Bakers Pride like this one:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/bakers-pride-gp-51-gas-countertop-oven-40-000-btu/155GP51.html

I'm sure you can find them used online for a cheaper price. However, first check with Agricorp and see what high-gluten flours they have available and then come back and let us know. I'm sure we'll be able to put a dough formula/recipe together that will work for you.
Mike

Offline PIZZA 505

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:40:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys, @Essen1 Can you explain to me why the peerless is not the way to go? I have pretty much inherited the Oven so Im hoping it can at least get me started for the first 6-12 months.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys, @Essen1 Can you explain to me why the peerless is not the way to go? I have pretty much inherited the Oven so Im hoping it can at least get me started for the first 6-12 months.

Here are opinions from professionals on the Peerless...

http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/oven-decisions.17108/#post-103587

http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/peerless-ovens.13309/#post-81928

Hope that helps.
Mike

wordpress