Author Topic: rough vs. smooth floor bricks  (Read 179 times)

Offline jamieg

rough vs. smooth floor bricks
« on: March 16, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »
A question regarding a video on this webpage: http://www.marsalsons.com/

if you scroll down the homepage and watch the video on the right-hand side called…

See us on Historys Food Tech…

at 3:13, the host says…
“we are gonna cook rough side up… etc… because the little dimples on the rough side create more heat… etc… the hot air gets trapped inside them…”

Does everybody agree with this?

The floor bricks I have used so far have always been very smooth… should I rough them up?

Thank you,

jamie

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: rough vs. smooth floor bricks
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »
That's not exactly what he said, and the distinction may be important. He says, "the little dimples in the rough side create more cooking area because the hot air gets trapped inside there and it gives it a really good looking crust."

I'm not exactly sure what that means by more cooking area. The cooking area is the size of the stone, I think? If he's talking about contact area, it seems like if anything it would be the opposite. Air is orders of magnitude less conductive than stone, and roughness would have the effect of lowering surface contact and therefore the average conductivity. Maybe intermittent surface contact from a rough surface is better. I don't know, but his explanation doesn't make sense as to why it matters.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jamieg

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
Agreed. That is not exactly what he said. It didnt make sense, so i had to guess.

I also agree, that less contact with the pizza would make the cooking area smaller.

Perhaps, he thought that intermittent contact would create a less uniform colouring on the bottom of the pizza.

Either way, I am confused as I get nice intermitten loeparding on my upskirt with perfectly smooth floor bricks.

So, I will stick with a smooth brick floor unless someone can elaborate on this. :-)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:48:37 AM »
A rough floor will have more surface area, it is simple topography.  I doubt that is a plus, because what you want is contact area, not surface area.