Author Topic: NY style using the cheapest AP flour  (Read 1448 times)

Offline kpaxfaq

Re: NY style using the cheapest AP flour
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »
I was at Wegman's lately and their house brand AP flour was $0.99 for a 5lb bag (limit 2) so I grabbed 2 thinking what do I have to lose even if it makes a bunch of above avg pizza  :) My results were very similar to the OP's crust. Not perfect but it was good!

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
Looks like that's around 40 hours from the model, so you left it in for another day to develop a bit more flavor? Also, is there a reason why the % hydration is relatively low with the AP recipes here? Thanks!

TXCraig developed the table to use as a starting point, not a 100% accurate table. For me, 3 days is what I prefer but it doesn't mean you can't use the dough +/- 1 day.

AP flour is a lower protein flour and needs less water to fully hydrate than a higher protein flour. For example, my 100% All Trumps dough at 61% hydration would have the same feel as AP dough with 57% hydration.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:53:36 PM by JD »
Josh

Offline LordBacon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »
TXCraig developed the table to use as a starting point, not a 100% accurate table. For me, 3 days is what I prefer but it doesn't mean you can't use the dough +/- 1 day.

AP flour is a lower protein flour and needs less water to fully hydrate than a higher protein flour. For example, my 100% All Trumps dough at 61% hydration would have the same feel as AP dough with 57% hydration.

I see, thanks. Perhaps the model doesn't work as well at lower temps since it took about three days for 0.2% ady at 38 degrees for my AP dough to increase by 1.5x in size.

pizzapan