Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 138814 times)

Offline Jet_deck

Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #725 on: October 09, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »
Mike, what flour are you using?  KABF ?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #726 on: October 09, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »
Why is your oven so damned clean!?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #727 on: October 09, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »
Mike, what flour are you using?  KABF ?

That was Conagra's Harvest Bread flour.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #728 on: October 09, 2011, 09:23:46 PM »
Why is your oven so damned clean!?

LOL. I don't like having a grimy oven to cook food in. Easy-off comes in handy.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #729 on: October 09, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
Mike, the picture you and Bill referenced in reply #702 has several white lines on the bottom on the right half of the pie only.   It looks to me like the dough bunched up or wrinkled a bit during the last half of the slide into the oven.  So looking at the picture, the left half went in first, then the right half.  During the bake, the dough expands and opens up the wrinkles a bit but those areas are tented up and don't contact the hot steel so they don't brown.  

Obviously, the way to fix that is to try and do one continuous slide rather than slide, pause, slide, pause.  Much more difficult to do in the home oven because the steel plate is right up against the backe wall creating a visual and physical barrier when sliding pies in.  

The other thing that could have caused it is the bit of rim that hangs over the back part of the wooden peel.  When sliding, it causes the dough to stretch and then contract like a slinky.  This can cause the dough to bunch up a bit as well.  We see this same effect if a part of the dough sticks to the peel.  The surrounding areas expand and contract during the slide causing the dough to bunch up or wrinkle.  

Chau
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:44:58 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #730 on: October 09, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »

Mike I have been using Con Agra's Baker's and Chef's Bread Flour (bleached and enriched) from Sam's Club.  I wonder if their Harvest Bread flour is the same flour but just rebagged for Sam's Club.  Anyways, I've been really happy with that BF and was wondering how you like the Harvest BF compared to some of the other flours you've used?

Chau

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #731 on: October 09, 2011, 10:02:31 PM »
Chau,

I noticed a ripple looking effect on the underside as well,cooked,pale area,cook,pale,etc,but was not sure of what was the case.That does appear the crust possibly didn't sit 100% flat at the time.I had this happen once before when using a round flat pan as a peel,but since I use my super peel most of the time now,I nail an even char on the bottom every time.

Thanks for pointing it out the other factors as well.

:)

-Bill

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #732 on: October 09, 2011, 11:19:33 PM »
Mike, the picture you and Bill referenced in reply #702 has several white lines on the bottom on the right half of the pie only.   It looks to me like the dough bunched up or wrinkled a bit during the last half of the slide into the oven.  So looking at the picture, the left half went in first, then the right half.  During the bake, the dough expands and opens up the wrinkles a bit but those areas are tented up and don't contact the hot steel so they don't brown. 

Obviously, the way to fix that is to try and do one continuous slide rather than slide, pause, slide, pause.  Much more difficult to do in the home oven because the steel plate is right up against the backe wall creating a visual and physical barrier when sliding pies in. 

The other thing that could have caused it is the bit of rim that hangs over the back part of the wooden peel.  When sliding, it causes the dough to stretch and then contract like a slinky.  This can cause the dough to bunch up a bit as well.  We see this same effect if a part of the dough sticks to the peel.  The surrounding areas expand and contract during the slide causing the dough to bunch up or wrinkle. 

Chau

Are you sure you're a nurse and not a PI?

Whatever the case is, I don't understand everybody's infatuation with the bottom of #2 pie's crust. It was a simple case of temp mismanagement and not a thing of “the left side went in first, then the right side”, ripple effects or what not. Or the crust hanging over the edge of the plate, for that matter, hence my comment of the steel having a learning curve.

No offense to anybody, but jeez folks, relax. I'm not opposed to share details of any bake, mixing/kneading regimens, dough management, baking times, sauce formulas and the like but if questions and comments here are coming across as trying to refute what I've said before then I suggest a simple individual effort for everybody of trial and error.; get the same equipment, flour, yeast, water, sugar, salt and oil and check it out for yourself. But riding high on a simple burnt crust, and trying to pick apart my evaluation of a steel plate bake, seems a bit excessive to me.

Keep it real, guys. It's a hobby, not a profession, to me.

Regarding the Harvest Bread, it's a decent flour and yields good results. I have never seen a ConAgra flour at Costco called Baker's but I assume that the Chef's Bread flour might be the same as the Harvest BF. Not sure, though.
Mike

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #733 on: October 09, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »

.... No offense to anybody, but jeez folks, relax. I'm not opposed to share details of any bake, mixing/kneading regimens, dough management, baking times, sauce formulas and the like but if questions and comments here are coming across as trying to refute what I've said before then I suggest a simple individual effort for everybody of trial and error....

Bro you need to relax and not have a brain hemorrhage yourself.  I do not detect that anyone is trying to refute/cross-reference/justify/reference/ your post.  We are pizza lovers just like you, that want to replicate your results. Really? Just chill. Seriously.;D  :chef:

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #734 on: October 09, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »
Whoa Mike, I wasn't picking apart your crust or technique.  And certainly not focusing or drawing attention either.  Just offering what I thought was the cause.  Sorry I posted my thoughts...

The Con Agra Bakers and Chefs BF I was referring to is sold at Sams Club, that's why you haven't seen it at Costco.  Okay, that's enough from me.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:16:32 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #735 on: October 10, 2011, 12:07:19 AM »
Are you sure you're a nurse and not a PI?

Really?   ??? >:D

A personal slam like this will not be tolerated.  A person that posts personal reference to anothers job title, or description is of of little or no value to the forum.  I hope the next time any of your family visits an Emergency Room, that they would recieve such care.  I am not in to Karma, but what comes around, goes around.  Send me a pm and I will tell you the rest.  Give it a break and yourself also.  This is a fricken Pizza Forum, not an air you life forum, have you not noticed?

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #736 on: October 10, 2011, 12:12:53 AM »

Thanks, bro.  I don't want you to blow a gasket unless you get thanked promptly.  Remember that?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #737 on: October 10, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »

Bro you need to relax and not have a brain hemorrhage yourself.  I do not detect that anyone is trying to refute/cross-reference/justify/reference/ your post.  We are pizza lovers just like you, that want to replicate your results. Really? Just chill. Seriously.;D  :chef:

JD,

I don't even know why you chime in.  ???

Nothing was directed at you nor did I mention you. However, I have yet to see a pizza of yours that was made from either my or from one of Luigi formulas, or a NY-style per se.

And don't worry about me having a coronary/hemorrhage. Worry about yourself, how's that?
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #738 on: October 10, 2011, 12:23:54 AM »
Really?   ??? >:D

A personal slam like this will not be tolerated.  A person that posts personal reference to anothers job title, or description is of of little or no value to the forum.  I hope the next time any of your family visits an Emergency Room, that they would recieve such care.  I am not in to Karma, but what comes around, goes around.  Send me a pm and I will tell you the rest.  Give it a break and yourself also.  This is a fricken Pizza Forum, not an air you life forum, have you not noticed?

JD,

You are taking this way out of context.

There are pics on here where Chau is in work clothes, or scrubs, and he even said he was a nurse or working on the medical field.

I wasn't disrespecting Chau's profession.

Come to think of it, PM with your thoughts.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #739 on: October 10, 2011, 12:36:30 AM »
Really?   ??? >:D

A personal slam like this will not be tolerated.  A person that posts personal reference to anothers job title, or description is of of little or no value to the forum.  I hope the next time any of your family visits an Emergency Room, that they would recieve such care.  I am not in to Karma, but what comes around, goes around.  Send me a pm and I will tell you the rest.  Give it a break and yourself also.  This is a fricken Pizza Forum, not an air you life forum, have you not noticed?

One more thing and then I'm done with people like you...

Put down the pipe and think before you post.  If I was incorrect on Chau profession, I'm sure he's old enough to speak for himself.
Mike

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #740 on: October 10, 2011, 01:36:13 AM »
One more thing and then I'm done with people like you...

Put down the pipe and think before you post. 

Mikey, the forum is full of thousands of people like me. We do not need a drug reference to embelish our post. It is funny that you always seem to take questions with disregard.  I don't have a pipe. Perchance your presciption has expired and you are hi and dry?  Really, lighten up.   I enjoy your pizza results; you, not so much.

I understand that the fly-fishing forum is hard core.  Maybe for people like you.  Can't we all get along? ???

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #741 on: October 10, 2011, 06:31:18 AM »
grow up and stop bickering. if this was a restaurant or any business on any professional capacity, you two would have been thrown out. be aholes all you want, just keep it off the forum
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #742 on: October 10, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »
I've seen the printed word get misinterpreted before, some here but mostly other forums. The problem is one doesn't get intent, vocal tone, facial expression, eye contact, all the things we read on someones face that can't be done well in print. Let's not turn into what I've seen on other forums, back up appologize and blame it on work or beer or something. There's a bunch of great people here let's not turn on each other, by ourselves, we're not that important. And how about them Viking finally winning a game :-D
Voice of Reason.
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #743 on: October 10, 2011, 10:31:37 PM »
..... But riding high on a simple burnt crust, and trying to pick apart my evaluation of a steel plate bake, seems a bit excessive to me.

Keep it real, guys. It's a hobby, not a profession, to me....

Any updates, bro ?

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #744 on: October 11, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »
Its true, I'd hate to see a great thread such as this one (Mike, I've really enjoyed looking at your progress and I believe I commented before on the great success I had with one of your earlier formulations) get drug into the dirt by petty arguing.  Especially by two great, well respected people.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #745 on: October 11, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
Let me clarify a couple of things here before everybody slams me for the “pipe” comment...

First of all, I'm not saying JD is a druggie but there was no reason for JD to jump into the conversation the way he did. Secondly, my question of whether Chau is sure that he's a nurse and not a PI (Private Investigator) was not a slam or disrespect to Chau's profession. It was a tongue-in-cheek question, nothing more, regarding his theory/analysis of what might have happened with the crust.

Chau's also not a baby but a grown man and adult. I'm sure that if he felt I was disrespecting his profession he would have called me out on it. I hold nurses, doctors and other medical professionals in high regard and my question mentioned above was in no way intended as disrespect, ridicule or as JD calls it, a personal slam.

A personal slam like this will not be tolerated.  A person that posts personal reference to anothers job title, or description is of of little or no value to the forum.  I hope the next time any of your family visits an Emergency Room, that they would recieve such care.  I am not in to Karma, but what comes around, goes around.  Send me a pm and I will tell you the rest.  Give it a break and yourself also.  This is a fricken Pizza Forum, not an air you life forum, have you not noticed?

Suggesting that myself or my family members receive little or no emergency care of any value, as JD suggests, is perhaps more of a personal slam and insult then my 'pipe' comments was.

However, if I hurt JD's feelings or insulted him in any way with my off-the-cuff comment, then I apologize.

And, JD, yes I still think a quick “Thank you” for info/help or tips provided by others when a question was answered shows class. What we have shown here in the last few exchanges is far from that, though.

I hope that this will put the issue to rest.
Mike

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #746 on: October 20, 2011, 01:45:39 AM »
Any updates bro?  Just a funny quick story.  I ordered a bag of Power Flour from my butcher (Cisco Food Service), but got a big bag of Mondako instead. :-D

So if any forum member wants some fresh Pendelton Mills Mondako flour, I would be glad to ship it to you at cost, via UPS.  Just send me a PM as not to take away from Mikeys excellent NY-style pizza project post. :chef:

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #747 on: October 23, 2011, 01:26:35 AM »
Any updates bro?  Just a funny quick story.  I ordered a bag of Power Flour from my butcher (Cisco Food Service), but got a big bag of Mondako instead. :-D

So if any forum member wants some fresh Pendelton Mills Mondako flour, I would be glad to ship it to you at cost, via UPS.  Just send me a PM as not to take away from Mikeys excellent NY-style pizza project post. :chef:

Awesome job, JD.

I just ordered a 50lb bag of Power Flour from my barber.

Should be here in 5 days.
Mike

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #748 on: October 23, 2011, 01:32:25 AM »
Swell, lets trade 25# each?

scott123

« Reply #749 on: October 23, 2011, 01:42:05 AM »
I'm a big fan of 12.5-12.7%ish protein flours, so the Mondako, at 11.9, is a little low, while Power, at 13.5, is a bit high, so a blend between the two might be that happy medium.

Mike, All Trumps, at 14, can have issues with toughness.  Have you seen anything like that with the Power Flour?  Have you ever thought to yourself, 'this could be just a little more tender?'

pizzapan