Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 110073 times)

Offline Jet_deck

Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #740 on: October 10, 2011, 01:36:13 AM »
One more thing and then I'm done with people like you...

Put down the pipe and think before you post. 

Mikey, the forum is full of thousands of people like me. We do not need a drug reference to embelish our post. It is funny that you always seem to take questions with disregard.  I don't have a pipe. Perchance your presciption has expired and you are hi and dry?  Really, lighten up.   I enjoy your pizza results; you, not so much.

I understand that the fly-fishing forum is hard core.  Maybe for people like you.  Can't we all get along? ???
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #741 on: October 10, 2011, 06:31:18 AM »
grow up and stop bickering. if this was a restaurant or any business on any professional capacity, you two would have been thrown out. be aholes all you want, just keep it off the forum
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #742 on: October 10, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »
I've seen the printed word get misinterpreted before, some here but mostly other forums. The problem is one doesn't get intent, vocal tone, facial expression, eye contact, all the things we read on someones face that can't be done well in print. Let's not turn into what I've seen on other forums, back up appologize and blame it on work or beer or something. There's a bunch of great people here let's not turn on each other, by ourselves, we're not that important. And how about them Viking finally winning a game :-D
Voice of Reason.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #743 on: October 10, 2011, 10:31:37 PM »
..... But riding high on a simple burnt crust, and trying to pick apart my evaluation of a steel plate bake, seems a bit excessive to me.

Keep it real, guys. It's a hobby, not a profession, to me....

Any updates, bro ?

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #744 on: October 11, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »
Its true, I'd hate to see a great thread such as this one (Mike, I've really enjoyed looking at your progress and I believe I commented before on the great success I had with one of your earlier formulations) get drug into the dirt by petty arguing.  Especially by two great, well respected people.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #745 on: October 11, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
Let me clarify a couple of things here before everybody slams me for the “pipe” comment...

First of all, I'm not saying JD is a druggie but there was no reason for JD to jump into the conversation the way he did. Secondly, my question of whether Chau is sure that he's a nurse and not a PI (Private Investigator) was not a slam or disrespect to Chau's profession. It was a tongue-in-cheek question, nothing more, regarding his theory/analysis of what might have happened with the crust.

Chau's also not a baby but a grown man and adult. I'm sure that if he felt I was disrespecting his profession he would have called me out on it. I hold nurses, doctors and other medical professionals in high regard and my question mentioned above was in no way intended as disrespect, ridicule or as JD calls it, a personal slam.

A personal slam like this will not be tolerated.  A person that posts personal reference to anothers job title, or description is of of little or no value to the forum.  I hope the next time any of your family visits an Emergency Room, that they would recieve such care.  I am not in to Karma, but what comes around, goes around.  Send me a pm and I will tell you the rest.  Give it a break and yourself also.  This is a fricken Pizza Forum, not an air you life forum, have you not noticed?

Suggesting that myself or my family members receive little or no emergency care of any value, as JD suggests, is perhaps more of a personal slam and insult then my 'pipe' comments was.

However, if I hurt JD's feelings or insulted him in any way with my off-the-cuff comment, then I apologize.

And, JD, yes I still think a quick “Thank you” for info/help or tips provided by others when a question was answered shows class. What we have shown here in the last few exchanges is far from that, though.

I hope that this will put the issue to rest.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #746 on: October 20, 2011, 01:45:39 AM »
Any updates bro?  Just a funny quick story.  I ordered a bag of Power Flour from my butcher (Cisco Food Service), but got a big bag of Mondako instead. :-D

So if any forum member wants some fresh Pendelton Mills Mondako flour, I would be glad to ship it to you at cost, via UPS.  Just send me a PM as not to take away from Mikeys excellent NY-style pizza project post. :chef:

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #747 on: October 23, 2011, 01:26:35 AM »
Any updates bro?  Just a funny quick story.  I ordered a bag of Power Flour from my butcher (Cisco Food Service), but got a big bag of Mondako instead. :-D

So if any forum member wants some fresh Pendelton Mills Mondako flour, I would be glad to ship it to you at cost, via UPS.  Just send me a PM as not to take away from Mikeys excellent NY-style pizza project post. :chef:

Awesome job, JD.

I just ordered a 50lb bag of Power Flour from my barber.

Should be here in 5 days.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #748 on: October 23, 2011, 01:32:25 AM »
Swell, lets trade 25# each?

scott123

« Reply #749 on: October 23, 2011, 01:42:05 AM »
I'm a big fan of 12.5-12.7%ish protein flours, so the Mondako, at 11.9, is a little low, while Power, at 13.5, is a bit high, so a blend between the two might be that happy medium.

Mike, All Trumps, at 14, can have issues with toughness.  Have you seen anything like that with the Power Flour?  Have you ever thought to yourself, 'this could be just a little more tender?'

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #750 on: October 23, 2011, 06:23:13 PM »
I'm a big fan of 12.5-12.7%ish protein flours, so the Mondako, at 11.9, is a little low, while Power, at 13.5, is a bit high, so a blend between the two might be that happy medium.

Mike, All Trumps, at 14, can have issues with toughness.  Have you seen anything like that with the Power Flour?  Have you ever thought to yourself, 'this could be just a little more tender?'

I feel this way about Bouncer flour.I like using it a lot but it seems that mixing times are critical to get it perfect.I want to make it more tender.GM better for bread and KA BF doesn't seem to have the toughness of Bouncer either and fits the bill better,but lacks something the HG flour has.

Sorry,don't mean to hijack,just wanted to respond to that you asked about as well.

:)
-Bill

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #751 on: November 02, 2011, 01:05:17 AM »

Mike, All Trumps, at 14, can have issues with toughness.  Have you seen anything like that with the Power Flour?  Have you ever thought to yourself, 'this could be just a little more tender?'

Scotty,

Sorry for the delay.

Trying to stay away a bit from making pies because I fell that I need to go in one direction, crust-wise, and not two or three at the same time.

Have I ever asked myself that question? I think, as with all pizza enthusiasts on here, there's always room for improving a crust. However, I am not sure how far one can take it. There's got to be a limit given the ingredients used and especially if one wants to stay 'pure' and not involve any dough conditioners, additives and the like.

I think it's all a matter of balancing the ingredients, understanding how they interact and what effect they have on the final outcome. Most of that can probably only be achieved by trial and error, especially if someone has the most generic home oven to work with. All of this combines fun, occasional success and the unavoidable frustration into one heaping challenge for home bakers.

I had one dough recently that was too tough...or chewy...but that was not with the PPF flour.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:06:50 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #752 on: November 30, 2011, 11:50:31 PM »
On August 22nd, I used an emergency formula for one of my family members. Over the weekend, I used it again for one of my neighbors and the formula delivers every time (3x so far) I've used it.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8093.msg150523.html#msg150523

This formula is definitely something everybody should have hanging around on the fridge or a pin board if a pie is requested on short notice. For the neighbor couple, the guy's vegetarian the girl's not, I topped it with all veggie and one half with pepperoni and sausage. 

Very nice outcome and they really enjoyed this pie.
Mike

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #753 on: December 01, 2011, 12:07:42 AM »
Absolutely splendid looking pie bro.  I bet everyone loved it. :pizza:

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #754 on: December 01, 2011, 12:28:29 AM »
Very Nice looking pie!Is there anything you would change or add,or was it perfect for the time it was made in?

:)

-Bill

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #755 on: December 01, 2011, 01:00:10 AM »
Thanks, men.

Bill,

No, wouldn't change anything in the formula. I tried and it ended up as a mediocre crust. As an emergency dough, this formula is probably as good as it gets. But...you got to keep your eye on it because it rises and ferments very fast.

The results are very rewarding.
Mike

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #756 on: December 01, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
Mike,

Very tasty looking pie!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #757 on: December 01, 2011, 06:16:51 PM »
Mike - Unbelievable pie. You inspired me to try this recipe:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16578.0.html

John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #758 on: December 01, 2011, 08:30:49 PM »
Mike, that is a masterpiece!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

parallei

« Reply #759 on: December 01, 2011, 08:38:07 PM »
Mike,

I'm going to have join the chorus here......absolutely wonderful!

Paul

pizzapan